Why All the Love for the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Why All the Love for the Delica?

Post by this_is_nascar »

This is meant as a serious post. I owned a Delica-4, but sold it. It really didn't WOW me, so I didn't want to keep it, just to gather dust. I've since read so many folks absolutely loving the Delica, so I wanted to ask for details on why you love this knife so much. What makes you keep using it? What was it/is it about the Delica that makes you give such high praises?

I'm wondering now, if maybe I gave up on it too quickly and didn't give it a chance to prove to me why it's such a loved knife in the community.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

It's cheap :)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Endura's one of my most carried/used knives and as we all know the Delica is the smaller version so of course I like it also. I like how it's small enough to fit inside the pocket clipless it's so light you forget it's there...which is useful for me when I'm traveling esp. outside the country where I much prefer a smaller blade and to not have a clip showing. The Delica is not meant to be on a display case and may be underwhelming to those who require fancy embellishments but it is a very capable knife. And what are knives for? Cutting. You get plenty of control in a blade that size and hadleshape . FFG grind makes it a great slicer...Overall weight is what like 2oz. It's a great knife...Especially to use...Maybe you should have used it a bit more before you sold it and you may have found out why it's Spyderco's best seller since it came out 25 years ago. What specifically did you not like about it? Looks? Did it not cut well? Does it hurt your hand while gripping that tiny handle?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS »

Very comfortable, great EDC blade length (legal in most places), VERY light for its size, great texture for grip and all while being extremely affordable in a variety of colors and steels.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

It doesn't do it at all for me either. I bought one and took it back the next day. It didn't fit my hand right at all. And I wanted more blade in that handle.

I think that for a lot of people it is a cheap knife that is of a lot higher quality than the price would suggest. Also that steel is good and it is legal to carry nearly everywhere.

I'm sure that it fits a fair number of people's hand well too. And those that it doesn't...some will probably just deal with it because of the other factors.

Me, if it doesn't fit my hand I won't use it...and the Delica just doesn't work at all for me.
On the hunt for...
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

Small yet functional, good value. Nice and thin. Cuts well. Blade length long enough to handle many common chores. Handle comfortable enough.
Military // PM 2 // Endura // Delica // Stretch // SE Tasman // SE Hawkbill Ladybug
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

For me it's an extremely capable EDC that I don't have to worry about being too hard on in use due it's relatively lower price point to my other folders. It's also very comfortable to hold and carry...the ergos are great (and I have huge hands).
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agreed the delica is very low cost :) For about $55 new almost anyone can get one in vg-10. It's also versatile, strong (especially the older SG type), light and for most comfortable to use :) I have given away 3 to folks who needed a decent knife but lacked the means or wherewithall to get one for themselves. The 2-7/16" blade length is more than adequate for most users needs and the FFG is a wonderful slicer as well :)

It's a well made pocketknife with a clip that is also a very good value :)

The Delica is also very similar to One of Spyderco's first designs, the Worker :) There the Delica might hold some historical and sentimental value as well :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Spyderco
Comfortable scales, FRN only
Flat grind
Color choices
Good steel

All in a size I could carry at work.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

High performance blade that's adequate for EDC, small and light package, totally ambidextrous, low entry price, similar variations (Tasman, Salt 1, Rescue 79mm).

I guess the better question is what is wrong with it. Boring is probably the most common reason. IMHO, I would rather take well executed to fancy materials. A reason why I haven't picked up a Tenacious but have bought a bunch of FRN Seki folders.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I absolutely love my delica4, which happened to be my first Spyderco
VG-10 FFG blade, razor sharp with epic slicing capability..ergonomic and thin but very grippy handle ..awesome 4-way clip, very light, and all that for such low price? what's there not to love?!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I were given the choice of a Delica or Centofante 3 it would hands down be the Centofante. I love the shape if the Delica blade but hate the handle ergonomics.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

I have a waved version, and I'm not all that impressed by it either. Doesn't mean it isn't a quality knife though.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I owned several Delicas and carried two VG10 SE and ZDP189 PE for a while. All of them sold or traded.
Still I want to acknowledge that Delica a good knife and great value. I just prefer choil, different scales and the look of other knives, but their cost is double.
Evil D wrote:If I were given the choice of a Delica or Centofante 3 it would hands down be the Centofante.
+1
I never understood why Delica is more popular than cento3. IMHO both knives are in the same price range, but cento3 looks better and slice better.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Delica was my friend's first Spyderco over 20 years ago, so I bought one(brown frn ffg)! The Native frn replaced it as my EDC shortly thereafter! I still carry the Delica on occasion. Good EDC but prefer a wider handle! :)
Knutty

Post by Knutty »

I have a few Delicas, but despite that, I'm not a big fan. The handle is too small (even though my hands are quite small for a man), and I find the backlock to be annoyingly far back on the handle (awkward for my thumb to reach). In other words, for me, the ergonomics of it kind of suck.

The only reason I have any Delicas is due to blade length laws when I'm visiting my miserable hometown in NY, and because I cannot help myself but click "Order Now".
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

I
bh49 wrote:I owned several Delicas and carried two VG10 SE and ZDP189 PE for a while. All of them sold or traded.
Still I want to acknowledge that Delica a good knife and great value. I just prefer choil, different scales and the look of other knives, but their cost is double.

+1
I never understood why Delica is more popular than cento3. IMHO both knives are in the same price range, but cento3 looks better and slice better.
I have to disagree, I'm not sure if its the texture or what I don't like. If it was made of aluminum I think it would've a whole lot better, but cost more.
some of my work (nothing for sale on there) Facebook.com/454products
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Delicas are like the Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla of Spydies. They get the job done and don't break the bank. Of course, nothing can please everyone, but it's so popular for good reason.

I love the Delica, and have several of them, but I rarely carry them. As good as they are, there are knives I like to carry more. Kind of like having a Corolla in the garage alongside several Porsches, BMWs, and even a Ferarri or two.
:bug-red-white
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

G10, stainless, FRN, titanium, VG10, ZDP, Super Blue, Emerson, jig bone and bolster, what's not to like?

I love them, personally. The G10 Delica is probably my favorite Spyderco (and knife) period.
dbcad wrote:Change is the only constant...

...Quite enjoyable and satifsying to have the number of knives decrease but the sharpness of the edges increase. The eternal quest for least resistance;)

Enjoy your edges folks:)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

klug932000 wrote:I
I have to disagree, I'm not sure if its the texture or what I don't like. If it was made of aluminum I think it would've a whole lot better, but cost more.
You can agree or disagree. This is my personal preferences. for scale material my top choices natural materials, the next choice would be micarta and polished (or at least smooth) G10. FRN is closer to the bottom, just one step above metals in this order: aluminum, steel, titanium.
cento3 has smooth FRN + silver bug vs. delica, which has textured FRN. for me Cento wins. I cannot remember, when I was using a knife, while wearing gloves, so even smooth scales provide me with sufficient grip.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian