Spyderco Kitchen Knives are Up!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
michaelm466

Spyderco Kitchen Knives are Up!!

Post by michaelm466 »

Overall Length: 10.875"
Blade Length: 6.50"
Cutting Edge: 6.00"
Blade Thickness: 0.05"
Blade Material: MBS-26
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Grind: Flat
Blade Finish: Satin
Edge Type: Fully Serrated
Handle Length: 4.375"
Handle Thickness: 0.58"
Handle Material: Sermollan
Handle Color: Blue
Weight: 2.05"
Knife Type: Fixed Blade
Brand: Spyderco
Model: K04SBL
Country of Origin: Japan
Best Use: Kitchen

I don't have any experience with the steel, but the price is quite reasonable at $32 at bladehq at least, only three up so far, I'm guessing more style/types will be out shortly.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Ohhh now that is very good looking! Love that blue color, I'll have to pick one up soon. What a surprise too, they aren't even up on the online catalog, although I'm guessing once Sal and team come back from SHOT Show we'll see them go up!
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

The hunt is on good news!My wife will be happy....
Thanks
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool, for a great price too
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
salmonkiller

Post by salmonkiller »

Blade Thickness: 0.05"
I wonder how much flex the blade will have with this thickness?Seems pretty thin, but would be a good slicer.
Invective

Post by Invective »

salmonkiller wrote:Blade Thickness: 0.05"
I wonder how much flex the blade will have with this thickness?Seems pretty thin, but would be a good slicer.
If it's kept the same thickness as the old ones, then it's got a fair amount of flex, and I wouldn't recommend stabbing anything with it, but then again, in the kitchen you rarely have to do that anyways. And it does make a good slicer, I've been able to slice tomatoes and cucumbers thin enough to see through easily.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I've read nothing but good things about the steel :D Hopefully they'll be around for a little while at least ;) Definitely would like to put a couple in the block :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

salmonkiller wrote:Blade Thickness: 0.05"
may be this is an error. Old ones were a little thicker. this is 1.25 mm. But if this is correct, this will be the slicing demon.
Calling my dealer.
****, they already closed.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sok

Post by sok »

Timing is everything. I have been looking at 6 inch utility kitchen knives for a couple of weeks now, and I have a Shun DM0701 in my Amazon wish list I was about to pull the trigger on. I think I will instead get one of the plain edged black handled Spydercos and the blue handled serrated one. Yep.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

i hope there is a santoku
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Between my 6 inch Shun and my Opinel paring knives...I don't know that I need another kitchen knife...but I might get one. Just to have one...lol
On the hunt for...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Those prices do seem very reasonable. Thanks for posting and thanks Spyderco.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bchan

Post by bchan »

These knives prompt me to ask a question: since VG-10 is stainless and is already used in a number of models why don't Spyderco use it in kitchen knives? Presumably Spyderco has some cost advantage in using this steel, no?

On the other hand what benefits does MBS-26 offer? I know very little about this steel. Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bchan wrote:These knives prompt me to ask a question: since VG-10 is stainless and is already used in a number of models why don't Spyderco use it in kitchen knives? Presumably Spyderco has some cost advantage in using this steel, no?

On the other hand what benefits does MBS-26 offer? I know very little about this steel. Thanks.
It's the same steel that was used in the original "Pro Cullinaire" series of kitchen knives, and the new ones are being made by the same maker, so it might just be that MBS-26 is the steel that maker is most comfortable using. And, while VG-10 is a fairly common steel in Japanese kitchen knives from other makers, MBS-26 is also used by a number of other Japanese makers as well, so it may have some particular benefits for that application. Given that the original K09 Parer was .8mm, while the K05 was 1.2mm, ad the K04 and K08 were 1.6mm, it's possible that MBS-26 is just available in a greater variety of thicknesses below 2mm than VG-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

We've been using ours daily since at least 1996 and, other than the aforementioned (in other threads) handle softening on one, they've been great.The new handle material is intended to eliminate the softening.
bchan

Post by bchan »

Deacon, thanks for your informative post. It sure makes sense.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

God'sMyJudge wrote:i hope there is a santoku
You and me, both. And/or a basic chefs knife.

I have (and use a fair amount) both the Yin and the Yang (KX06S and KX06P), which are similar in VG10 with nicer handles. I can't see replacing them with these.

But 90% of my kitchen work is with an 8" carbon steel Fosters Bros from the 60s.

My only issue with these utility style is the knuckle clearance. Yes, I know, I could use a pinch grip, but my kitchen style is a conventional grip. 90% of what I do is chopping vegetables and more clearance works better for me.

Ken
玉鋼
arty

Post by arty »

MBS26 is a Masahiro stainless steel, with close to 1% carbon. Masahiro uses it in more expensive knives than this one. I also have the Yang and it gets lots of use in the kitchen. Great knife.
I just ordered a 7" gyuto, so I will be waiting a little awhile before getting another kitchen knife, but these are on my radar. I have an old 8" HC Sabatier 4 Elephants, but I actually prefer smaller knives for most veggies.

Does anyone know what the handle is made out of? What other styles will be coming?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

arty wrote:MBS26 is a Masahiro stainless steel, with close to 1% carbon. Masahiro uses it in more expensive knives than this one. I also have the Yang and it gets lots of use in the kitchen. Great knife.
I just ordered a 7" gyuto, so I will be waiting a little awhile before getting another kitchen knife, but these are on my radar. I have an old 8" HC Sabatier 4 Elephants, but I actually prefer smaller knives for most veggies.

Does anyone know what the handle is made out of? What other styles will be coming?
Aside from Sal's statement that the handle material will not be the same Sermollan used on the originals I can't recall seeing any specifics on what it will be. As for models, Sal has specifically mentioned plans to reissue the K05 Small Utility, the K08 Santoku, and K09 Parer if sales of the K04's justify doing so. His posts have also suggested that he'd be open to reissuing some or all of the other Pro Cullinaire models if demand warrants it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote: I have (and use a fair amount) both the Yin and the Yang (KX06S and KX06P), which are similar in VG10 with nicer handles. I can't see replacing them with these.
Ken
Ken,

We have Yang and I love the handle. I was very impressed with it until I bought Kanetsune Gyuito. I beleive the the grind on Yang a little too thick. I certainly will buy K06 in PE and I think that there is a good chance that I replace Yang with K06. I love the handle on Yang, but not cutting abilities. They are just OK.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian