Dragonfly 2 Super blue

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

xceptnl wrote:I would be jealous as well. The G-10 Dfly was the first foliage G-10 I owned and you would likely need to pry it from my cold dead fingers to get me to give it up.
Me too! First FG G-10 and first small spydie as well. I've had mine a little over two weeks and it only leaves my person when I'm in the shower :D not so with any other spydie, though my cru millie was seldom out of reach for a month or two after I got it.
JerryIsAlive wrote:Still torn between g10 and super blue. If super blue doesn't come out soonish, I'll prob cave w the g10
The only answer is to get both. If they say first half of 2014 for the SB Dfly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the end of the summer, so if you take the bird in the hand G-10 now, it'll be time for another by then :)

I presume this run of super blue sprints is going to have laminated blades like the Endura and Delica? all the way down to the Manbug? That might be a bit of a delicate job to grind a tiny laminated Manbug blade evenly.

I've never handled the FRN models. I presume the blades are the same and it's just a straight forward blade swap between the 4 screw G-10 model and the 3 screw FRN models?

Some of you have started waiting ahead of me -- I've got to start waiting very hard to catch up :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DougC-3 wrote: I presume this run of super blue sprints is going to have laminated blades like the Endura and Delica? all the way down to the Manbug? That might be a bit of a delicate job to grind a tiny laminated Manbug blade evenly.
I don't think this will be a laminated blade. This came up a few days ago. I don't remember if it was this thread or another but I'm pretty sure it's just SB. In the description of it there is no mention of 420J or anything. So I think it's solid sb but may be wrong. I always thought the ss outside layers would be touched when sharpening. The visible line between the core steel (SB) and the ouside layers would be visible on the bevel. This has turned out to not be true. Looing at the pic of the Caly3 the line is not close to the bevel at all. If you were thinking what I used to that would make keeping the edge apex in the core steel would need to be done. But I don't think that's the case. I'm sort of hoping for my D'fly to form a patina so I'm happy if it is just SB. Again, I could be wrong. :)

Jack

Jack
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

MCM wrote:Image

It looks like the Manbug has a lamination line, so if it is laminated, then I'd expect the D'Fly will be laminated as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Here are the specifications I pasted from knife center's add. Blade steel just says super blue. But,,, the add also said the handle had ss liners until it was corrected. :)

BTW, how do you spell the color grey? Is it grey or gray. I think it is grey. In the add it says "gray". I've seen it spelled both ways when referring to a color so I can't say I've always been right. This is completely un-important (or is it non-imprttant or anti-importand :) )? :D

Specifications

Blade Length: 2-5/16" (58 mm)
Cutting Edge: 1-7/8" (48 mm)
Blade Thickness: 3/32" (2.5 mm)
Overall Length: 5-7/16" (138 mm)
Closed Length: 3-7/32" (82 mm)
Hole Diameter: 7/16" (11 mm)
Blade Steel: Super Blue
Weight: 1.2 oz. (33 g)
Handle Material: Gray Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon (FRN)
Made in Seki-City, Japan
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

jackknifeh wrote:I don't think this will be a laminated blade.

All of the grey FRN superblue sprints, including the Dfly are clad with 420J.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

From Sal's bombshell thread:
sal wrote: all of the sb models in-the-works will be the same laminate. that includes: Endura, stretch, delica, dragonfly, ladybug and manbug. Each model will be coming out a couple of months after the previous one.

Sal

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... erblue+frn
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

jackknifeh wrote:BTW, how do you spell the color grey? Is it grey or gray. I think it is grey. In the add it says "gray". I've seen it spelled both ways when referring to a color so I can't say I've always been right. This is completely un-important (or is it non-imprttant or anti-importand :) )? :D
Both are totally acceptable. In America, "gray" is more frequently used. In England, "grey" is seen more often. So if you say it's grey, I say you're a red coat :p
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jackknifeh wrote: [...]how do you spell the color grey? Is it grey or gray...
grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

w3tnz wrote:All of the grey FRN superblue sprints, including the Dfly are clad with 420J.
Thanks for clearing this up. I have both types of super blue and I like both, but if the Dragonfly were solid, the decision to buy would be made instantly :)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

DougC-3 wrote:grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England :D
grEy is also how it is spelled in Canada.
On the hunt for...
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

So basically...what is being said is grAy is the correct spelling!!! :D
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:grEy is also how it is spelled in Canada.
Right, A in places that speak American English and E in places that speak English English -- it's a pretty good mnemonic.
I spell it either way ;)
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Actually I think that you are the only country that uses the A...

But yes that is a very good mnemonic. :D
On the hunt for...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Actually I think that you are the only country that uses the A...

But yes that is a very good mnemonic. :D
Well, a few people speak American English in Puerto Rico, Guam, The Virgin Islands, and American Somoa :D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I have wanted a laminated blade also in addition to a SB blade so I guess this one knife will fill both desires. :) I was thinking about letting the blade patina on it's own, forcing it or preventing it. I guess I only need to think about the edge portion of the blade. EIther way, I'm still wanting the knife. I have decided I want a knife when I can't afford it and then in a week or two I didn't want it as much. I still want the D'fly though. :)

Jack
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

jackknifeh wrote:I have wanted a laminated blade also in addition to a SB blade so I guess this one knife will fill both desires. :) I was thinking about letting the blade patina on it's own, forcing it or preventing it. I guess I only need to think about the edge portion of the blade. EIther way, I'm still wanting the knife. I have decided I want a knife when I can't afford it and then in a week or two I didn't want it as much. I still want the D'fly though. :)

Jack
IMO Super Blue patinates so easily it's more fun just to use it and see what happens. The blades below, Endura4 and Caly 3 Super Blue, have been used mostly for cutting up salad ingredients and peeling and slicing fruit. When you use them on acidic things like tomatoes and radishes, they patinate practically right before your eyes. Both of these were much darker but the patina "sands" off quickly as well when you cut gritty things, in this case mostly pears -- the ones grown around here are loaded with "stone cells" which quickly sand it off and smooth and even it out.

Edit: forgot to wipe the trash off the top blade. It has some miniscule scratches, but they're hard to see in real life unless you hold it at a certain angles.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Knife center has these up for pre-order and I have my name in. Early this month they put in the add they expected the knives in March. Guess what? Nope. They said they are waiting on the delivery from Spyderco. So everyone waiting for these hurry hurry hurry up and start waiting. :)

Jack
Holland

Post by Holland »

just put a pre-order in! can't wait for this knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

This knife may pass my chaparral 2 as my favourite and most carried :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Been more than waiting, I've been checking Howes site daily to spot a sign of these (since Jim always magically seems to get them first)! And then I see this thread pop back up and I thought "Yes! Finally!"... Oh well, guess I'll keep waiting!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King