Thank you, Sal!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
damonh

Thank you, Sal!

Post by damonh »

Some of you may have a rant that I posted several days ago lamenting that fact that I was forced to throw away a very special knife on my way to Cancun, in order to avoid being fined or possibly jailed by Mexican authorities. The knife was my first Spyderco, a black FRN Endura that I had modded and that I EDC'd nearly every day. I had been given bad advice by the Los Angeles TSA to check the knife in an empty backpack and try to get it through Mexican customs, who I later discovered would have surely found it as they now x-ray all incoming bags (checked and carry on). I received some sympathy from other members and a welcome from Sal. A couple days later I received a message from TazKristi telling me that Sal wanted to replace the knife just because he thought it would be the right thing to do.

I've already emailed Mr. Glesser to thank him personally. This thread is intended as a follow up and a more public thank you to Sal, as I wanted to share my experience with the rest of the forum. I debated replacing my old Endura because I knew I could never replace its sentimental value. Though that remains true, this new knife is a different kind of special. The fact that Sal took the time to read my post and offered to replace the knife unsolicited really underscores to me the kind of company Spyderco is and the kind of man that is at its helm. I can't think of another company where the founder and CEO takes the time to reach out to customers in that manner. It's inspiring.

The very next day after receiving the new knife, I put a razor edge on it and ground the blade into a reverse tanto just like I did to my original knife. Now, the only difference between the new knife and the old one is about 16 months of wear, which I will happily put on it over the next 16 months as my Paramilitary 2 has once again been kicked from my pocket. :-)
Attachments
DSC_0314f.jpg
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great story :D . Congrats!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

damonh wrote:... I received some sympathy from other members and a welcome from Sal. A couple days later I received a message from TazKristi telling me that Sal wanted to replace the knife just because he thought it would be the right thing to do.
This alone is the reason people seem to come here and stay a while. I appreciate the manner that Sal approaches these situations, sets he and Spyderco head & shoulders above the rest. Welcome to the forum and congrats.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Sal is a kind and fair man. There are not to many companies out there that are as committed to their customers and products as Spyderco.
buccilli15

Post by buccilli15 »

First class people, products, and company! :)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

First class is right. Mr. Glesser's quite simply a really nice guy. Enjoy your knife. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Congratulations on your gift! :)
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Brilliant gift!
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

This right here is the reason why people stay Spyderco fans. Sure, the awesome knives are great and all, but it makes SUCH a difference knowing my money and support goes to a company that cares. It's a true rarity these days...
Current EDC rotation: Southard, Paramilitary 2, Sage 1, G10 DF2, Techno

On deck: Military, Caly 3.5, Air

Wish List: M4 Military, S90V PM2, Superblue Caly 3.5, G-10 Jester
dr_fosg8

Post by dr_fosg8 »

Awesome story Damon and awesome generosity by spyderco. I really like what you have done to that endura, what is the length of the blade after the mod?
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

Great guy, enjoy your new knife!
A-Ro

Post by A-Ro »

That's pretty awesome!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That thing looks amazing! Well done.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
damonh

Post by damonh »

Syncharmony wrote:This right here is the reason why people stay Spyderco fans. Sure, the awesome knives are great and all, but it makes SUCH a difference knowing my money and support goes to a company that cares. It's a true rarity these days...
Exactly my thoughts, Syncharmony. Spyderco makes a great product, but there are other companies that make great products, too. There is more to Spyderco than that. Sal and company genuinely listen to customers regarding new designs, sprints, color options, etc. and they go above and beyond to create goodwill. It's a company that I'm proud to support.
damonh

Post by damonh »

dr_fosg8 wrote:Awesome story Damon and awesome generosity by spyderco. I really like what you have done to that endura, what is the length of the blade after the mod?
It's right at 3.5". I liked the Enduras that Michael Janich was modding but was unable to get one due to the limited supply, so I was inspired to mod my first knife on a belt sander several months ago. It took me less than 10 minutes and came out perfect. Then, I had the sharpener at a local knife shop (where I bought my first Endura) knock the edge off the spine so it would look/feel like it came that way from the factory.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Much congratulations Damon, and good form Sal, you are a true gentleman.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sal is a class act. Enjoy your new knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal