New Folder Knives: VAGELY Spyderco-Looking to you?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

New Folder Knives: VAGELY Spyderco-Looking to you?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I just found this:

foxknivesusa.com/en/product/2508/amico_fku-ami-dp.html

While it uses a thumbstud instead of an opening hole,
does the basic shape remind you of some Spyderco designs? It has an FRN handle and 154 CM Stainless Steel blade. That sounds like an interesting combination.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well, there's definitely some kind of connection or rip off happening. Some of the designs are very very reminiscent of Spyderco models:

The handle on this one reminds me a lot of the Yojimbo 1

Then there's the old style Police clip they're using on several models

So, have they found a lot of inspiration in Spyderco designs? Yeah I'd say that's safe to say. Have they blatantly ripped Spyderco off? Probably not. At least they're not using round holes.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
The influence was probably gained firsthand due to the collaboration by Fox Knives and Spyderco.
http://www.foxknivesusa.com/en/product/ ... ve_sp.html
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
M80

Post by M80 »

[ATTACH]23124[/ATTACH]
Attachments
yojimbo.jpeg
yojimbo.jpeg (32.07 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
Noah

Post by Noah »

The Be-Wharned is a Michael Janich design that pre-dates the Yojimbo II.

I think. :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Noah wrote:The Be-Wharned is a Michael Janich design that pre-dates the Yojimbo II.

I think. :)
Correct.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
raven

Post by raven »

I actually have one... I've had it for about 4 years. It was designed by Borut Kincl, who's an instructor for the Slovenia Special Forces and is a 7th Dan Black Belt and founder of the Kempo Arnis Federation. He also has another design called the "Panther" which is no longer made and very rare.

For what it's worth, the Bantay is a decent folder and is pretty solid. You can't see it in the picture posted above, but it also has a carbide glass breaker on the front of the handle on the right hand side and also has the "LAWKS" feature (CRKT) that allows the blade to be locked in place like a fixed blade. it's a through construction design. Interesting and you can somewhat see in the pic, the butt of the handle is tapered to a blunt point to be used as an improvised striking device in the closed position.

I EDCed the knife for quite a while on-duty and it performed very well with everything I used if for including some heavy cutting at times. I have no complaints about the knife and IMO is a decent folder ;) .

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.