Did you guys see this??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Syncharmony wrote:I feel like I've read a lot of horror stories about pre-ordering from knife center. Are there any other places which are more reliable for pre-orders?
mikerestivo wrote:I have never had a problem with KC for a pre-order. Pre-orders in general can be somewhat dicey for a variety of reasons. Some vendors won't offer them anymore due to the pitfalls (i.e. sometimes I think that the vendors don't receive as many of the item as they had originally hoped and end up having to cancel orders). Overall I've been pretty fortunate on the pre-orders I have placed, with KC and other vendors.
I've never had a problem with a KC pre-order, either, and they are one of few dealers still doing pre-orders.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

gbelleh wrote:National Knives' "COMING SOON" page is also a good place to see what's on the way (and priced a little more reasonably).
Blerv wrote:Yea I love National Knives :) . Purchased from them about 2 years ago and didn't know what to make of it but they handle sprints extremely fair; it's how I got an orange Dodo once my preorder failed elsewhere. Some highly demanded items they put purchase limits per Paypal account.
xceptnl wrote:Thanks for sharing that. Much prefer dealing with NK!

National Knives definitely has attractive pricing, and the service is fantastic and amazingly friendly. :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

was digging the Battle Station, but will pass at $200. Same price as the Tatanka is confusing to me?
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Why is the Kiwi so expensive? VG-10 and G10 in a small package shouldn't cost almost as much as the Police, should it? All of the new models except the Tusk seem overpriced by at least $20...
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Pockets wrote:Why is the Kiwi so expensive? VG-10 and G10 in a small package shouldn't cost almost as much as the Police, should it? All of the new models except the Tusk seem overpriced by at least $20...
The only thing I can figure is that even the g10 Police has been around for a long time. Volume also might be on its side compared to a new collaboration. Eg: they know they can sell 2400 Police's over time based on past experience, they can't speculate for volume on the kiwi so go with a smaller run. For that reason the cost per unit is higher and the R&D cost is distributed among less pieces. That or the grinding process of the blades/handles are drastically different with time costs and/or produce less accurately. More factory seconds being produced per run, etc.

Just a hunch though. There are subtle factors at play that we won't know until we see the knives. Probably many we won't even know with them in hand.
JT

Post by JT »

mmm-mm.
Give me the Tatanka, Battle Station,karahawk and the Double Bevel. Just have to wait for them to drop down in price.... ebay.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

bdblue wrote:They haven't come through with the preorder that I placed 8 months ago so I'm not in a hurry to place another preorder.
agree, ive canceled orders with them a few times because they dont always come through.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I generally avoid pre-orders altogether--unless we're talking about a highly-anticipated sprint run or limited-production special. Too much of a headache otherwise.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Blerv wrote:The only thing I can figure is that even the g10 Police has been around for a long time. Volume also might be on its side compared to a new collaboration. Eg: they know they can sell 2400 Police's over time based on past experience, they can't speculate for volume on the kiwi so go with a smaller run. For that reason the cost per unit is higher and the R&D cost is distributed among less pieces. That or the grinding process of the blades/handles are drastically different with time costs and/or produce less accurately. More factory seconds being produced per run, etc.

Just a hunch though. There are subtle factors at play that we won't know until we see the knives. Probably many we won't even know with them in hand.
Plus, in the case of KC's prices, a discounted price based on existing stock purchased at 2013 price on the Police vs 2014 price on the Kiwi. MSRP for the P3 on the 2014 Price sheet is $250, $10 higher than last year.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Good point about the size of each run. I understand the Firefly being more than the Kiwi because it's a collaboration and has polished G10 and CF, but why is it so mich more than the Vallottan (besides run size)?
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

From what I read here, it seems Japan is a very expensive place to make knives right now. More expensive than Taichung. Exchange rates, inflation, etc. Lots of factors involved.

One thing I'm sure of is Spyderco isn't trying to rip us off. Their costs are just higher for these knives.

I've only been into Spydercos since 2010, but prices have risen steadily over that time. It's a shame because the incredible value is slipping away. But IMO, we're still almost always getting more than we're paying for.
:bug-red-white
Johnny88

Post by Johnny88 »

Already ordered my Roc.... Chop chop.
nccole

Post by nccole »

gbelleh wrote:From what I read here, it seems Japan is a very expensive place to make knives right now. More expensive than Taichung. Exchange rates, inflation, etc. Lots of factors involved.

One thing I'm sure of is Spyderco isn't trying to rip us off. Their costs are just higher for these knives.

I've only been into Spydercos since 2010, but prices have risen steadily over that time. It's a shame because the incredible value is slipping away. But IMO, we're still almost always getting more than we're paying for.
Sal has said many times that the margins are similar across the board. Even on collaborations the cut to the designer is similar.
baldanthony

Post by baldanthony »

Roc, you know I've been waiting. Be here soon, please!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Deacon wrote:Plus, in the case of KC's prices, a discounted price based on existing stock purchased at 2013 price on the Police vs 2014 price on the Kiwi. MSRP for the P3 on the 2014 Price sheet is $250, $10 higher than last year.
Good point. The Kiwi/Kopa has never been a cheap knife. I don't see why the next generation would drastically change. The Chinese slip joint being the exception.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Pockets wrote:Good point about the size of each run. I understand the Firefly being more than the Kiwi because it's a collaboration and has polished G10 and CF, but why is it so mich more than the Vallottan (besides run size)?
I remember really well discussion couple years ago:'Why Vallottan is so expensive?"
The topic about new knives pricing happening every year. Every year some of us are going through initial shock. Should already get used to it, unfortunately I still didn't. I am well aware that prices on everything are going up, even for necessities. So we will do, what we always do, everyone will find his own solution to feed the addiction.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bh49

Post by bh49 »

gbelleh wrote: One thing I'm sure of is Spyderco isn't trying to rip us off.

+1
Certainly, only complete ignorant can think that.
gbelleh wrote: I've only been into Spydercos since 2010, but prices have risen steadily over that time. It's a shame because the incredible value is slipping away.
I got into Spydercos in 2005, still picture is the same. Hopefully when Golden capacities will increase and people will be trained this will be changed. Most likely it is less expensive currently to make knives in US than in Japan and Europe.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I was going to put the Super Blue D'fly on pre-order. I got to where I enter my card info and stopped. I sent them an email asking how they handle pre-orders. Does anyone know about how knivecenter does this? My concern is that they don't charge the card for it until they ship it (like most sites). If disaster strikes and makes buying this knife not possible do I have the option to cancel before they actually charge the card? If I pre-order today I can just make sure I count that money as gone. But in a month (or whenever) if I need that cash for an emergency I don't want to be locked into this purchase. Any info is appreciated. I emailed them but won't get a reply until tomorrow or the next day I think.

Jack
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

It's been my experience that they don't charge your card until the item is ready to ship.
:bug-red-white
raven

Post by raven »

The "Battlestation" by our bro Dialex is awesome :cool: !!! Going to have to grab one of these :D .

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.