Lefthanded Wings

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
mikeh99

Lefthanded Wings

Post by mikeh99 »

Hi. I thought I saw a post about converting a Wings/Dyad for lefties. Now I can't find it. I just got a Wings and want to try converting it but don't want to reinvent the wheel if it has already been done. Any info before I start would be appreciated.
Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It won't work with the Wings. The lock faces on the blade tangs are angled for right hand engagement. It would be easier to make a whole new knife from scratch. I did convert a C44 Dyad to left hand, but it's a lockback. The Deacon has that one now.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Rats! I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info. Will the new sprint Dyad be convertible like the original C44 do you think?
Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If they haven't changed the tooling too much it should be possible. If you do try it, work very slowly and pay attention to the way the hardware is installed. One of the lockbar pivot screws goes in from the opposite side from the rest. It's that way for a reason, which you will find out during reassembly. Also, each blade, lockbar, spring and spring holder needs to be kept together and reinstalled as a group. Some of the individual parts may look the same, but they aren't identical. Trust me on this.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Thanks again. All of a sudden this went from a fun, cheap project to an expensive, pita project. Still may give it a go when the sprint comes out.
Mike
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Say, what about the BY21 slipit. Would that be left handed convertible since there aren't any locks?
Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've never seen one in person, so I couldn't really say. Pictures say it is screw construction, so it should be possible. Depending on the strength of the backsprings, reassembly could be tough.
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Sounds promising so I went ahead and ordered the BY21. I'll report back.
Mike
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Well, my source punked out. No BY21 available. Anyone have one they are willing to part with?
Mike