K390 Model Poll Part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What should the K390 Sprint model be?

Techno
12%
Vallotton
1%
Domino
33%
Hungarian
2%
Bushcraft
8%
Puukko
4%
Southard
20%
Tuff
No votes
South Fork
19%

Total votes: 83

michaelm466

Post by michaelm466 »

xceptnl wrote:I voted for the Southard on this poll and the GB on the other.
Same, though I'd like it even better if they did a FFG K390 Southard
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

Domino would be amazing. I'd like to see the scale side with just a titanium slab, instead of a different scale :D
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

One thing which has not been discussed much in either poll is the cost or msrp of the respective taichung folders. I voted for the Techno before considering this for selfish reasons (I don't have one and this way I could get both a new knife design and a great steel). After thinking more about this and seeing the results, I wanted to ask if any of you are considering the starting MSRP for these knives. For example, I would love to see this in a Southard or even Domino, but the MSRP for the standard production models is pretty high compared to say the Sage 1. Actually most of the Taichung spyderco's are the higher end knives and do carry a higher MSRP. I know this will be coveted regardless, but since sprints typically carry a higher markup to start with, do you think a cheaper starting point would make this a more feasible purchase for more afi's. Personally, I love the steel and use my MT17 a ton, but I would have a hard time shelling out $300+ which I could see this sprint going for if it does come in the form of one of the more expensive knives to start with. So...If I had to vote again, I would go with the Sage 1. Any thoughts about this part of the equation?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The problem with preferences is that people will vote for the knife they like the best, which is not necessarily the knife that this particular steel would be the best used on. It's to be expected though.

In the end, I think I agree with the other guys, just wait for 2015 and get it in a Military. There's plenty of hot knives coming out this year to hold us over.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

dgebler wrote:One thing which has not been discussed much in either poll is the cost or msrp of the respective taichung folders. I voted for the Techno before considering this for selfish reasons (I don't have one and this way I could get both a new knife design and a great steel). After thinking more about this and seeing the results, I wanted to ask if any of you are considering the starting MSRP for these knives. For example, I would love to see this in a Southard or even Domino, but the MSRP for the standard production models is pretty high compared to say the Sage 1. Actually most of the Taichung spyderco's are the higher end knives and do carry a higher MSRP. I know this will be coveted regardless, but since sprints typically carry a higher markup to start with, do you think a cheaper starting point would make this a more feasible purchase for more afi's. Personally, I love the steel and use my MT17 a ton, but I would have a hard time shelling out $300+ which I could see this sprint going for if it does come in the form of one of the more expensive knives to start with. So...If I had to vote again, I would go with the Sage 1. Any thoughts about this part of the equation?
This is an excellent point. K390 will have two things going against it, non-stainless and premium price. I know there are a lot of people in the knife community who will not consider a non-stainless blade steel which I understand completely. Couple that with those of us who are willing and able to fork out $150?$200?$200+? for a knife as some of these Taichung models will surely cost and we may be setting this model up for limited success. I personally would rather wait and see K390 done in either a PM2 or Military due to the ability to bring it to the market at a real world price of $150 - $160.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

To be perfectly frank, I'm having a hard time imagining a better option than the Sage series for this. Its not a particularly titillating model, as its effectively a lock mule, but in so many ways its really the platonic form of a spyder. Its thin, slim, light, efficient, and beautiful. They're also quite reasonably priced. We could duke it out over lock mech, but really (aside from back lock) is there a member of the sage series which has a mech so polarizing it'd really turn someone off?

They're kinda vanilla, and so a lot of the glory is lost, but of all the options while I could say I have a personal preference for this or that (I've got a bit of a stiffie for the techno and valloton) its really the Sage I think which would be most broadly palatable.

*edit*
For the 2c its worth, I'd throw my lot in for the RIL (sage2) option, although the Sage1 in carbon is arguably more pragmatic.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think many of the Taiwan models just wouldn't make sense for a steel like this, because you'd really want it to excel at slicing, so you wouldn't want a super thick stubby blade like the Techno, and sure as heck not the Vallotton. If it wasn't the South Fork (still think that's the best option out of Taiwan, but probably most expensive and I'd rather see it in a folder since we got the mule already), then I think the best three options are the Domino, Sage, and Chaparral. The problem is that personally I would want more blade than that for a good slicing knife and all three of those knives come in a bit short IMO. At the same time I understand it would make it legal in more places, which isn't a bad thing. In the end I have to say the Military is still probably the best platform. Actually, I think the perfect knife for this would be either a Caly 3.5 or a Stretch since they're a bit thinner blade stock and thinner behind the edge, the Caly in particular.
~David
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Sounds like you'd do well to vote on the Navaja then.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

hunterseeker5 wrote:Sounds like you'd do well to vote on the Navaja then.
It wouldn't be a bad knife, but it's also very "niche" in design and use. I wouldn't really call it an all around kind of knife. It's also hollow ground, and personally I'd greatly prefer full flat, even though as hollow grinds go the Navaja has one of the best I've seen from Spyderco.
~David
bpeezer

Post by bpeezer »

I must be the only person more excited for a Taichung model in K390 instead of the Military :(
Holland

Post by Holland »

bpeezer wrote:I must be the only person more excited for a Taichung model in K390 instead of the Military :(
im with you! most of my favourite models are from the taichung factory
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

hunterseeker5 wrote:To be perfectly frank, I'm having a hard time imagining a better option than the Sage series for this. Its not a particularly titillating model, as its effectively a lock mule, but in so many ways its really the platonic form of a spyder. Its thin, slim, light, efficient, and beautiful. They're also quite reasonably priced. We could duke it out over lock mech, but really (aside from back lock) is there a member of the sage series which has a mech so polarizing it'd really turn someone off?

They're kinda vanilla, and so a lot of the glory is lost, but of all the options while I could say I have a personal preference for this or that (I've got a bit of a stiffie for the techno and valloton) its really the Sage I think which would be most broadly palatable.

*edit*
For the 2c its worth, I'd throw my lot in for the RIL (sage2) option, although the Sage1 in carbon is arguably more pragmatic.
I'd just like to mention that the Sage 3 is totally ambidextrous with its bolt action lock. That would appeal to a lot of us lefties who make up around 10% I'm told, and may be the only way a lot of us (both left and right handed) will get to try this lock, since, I think, this is the only spydie which has it. Also its MSRP is $90 cheaper than the Sage 2, which would put it in the price range of a lot more people. And I think the bolt action lock puts it more in the fudge ripple category :p while having an MSRP only $10 higher than its vanilla friend, the Sage 1 :)
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
nccole

Post by nccole »

Evil D wrote:I think many of the Taiwan models just wouldn't make sense for a steel like this, because you'd really want it to excel at slicing, so you wouldn't want a super thick stubby blade like the Techno, and sure as heck not the Vallotton. If it wasn't the South Fork (still think that's the best option out of Taiwan, but probably most expensive and I'd rather see it in a folder since we got the mule already), then I think the best three options are the Domino, Sage, and Chaparral. The problem is that personally I would want more blade than that for a good slicing knife and all three of those knives come in a bit short IMO. At the same time I understand it would make it legal in more places, which isn't a bad thing. In the end I have to say the Military is still probably the best platform. Actually, I think the perfect knife for this would be either a Caly 3.5 or a Stretch since they're a bit thinner blade stock and thinner behind the edge, the Caly in particular.

Exactly my thoughts, so for this poll I chose the Southfork. Domino would be next, but I would pass on wanting to see this in a Sage or Chap. I want a 3.5" folding blade in this steel. I may just hold out for a Para or Military, and dream of a Stretch CF or Caly 3.5. I also agree that a lot of Taiwan knives are specialized and not just an overall utility knife. When it comes to most of the ethnic series or specialized personal defense knives, the steel is one of the last factors I consider. Don't waste it on a model that is not a good hard worker.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

What if... they made a new model from the Taichung factory that was tailor-made to feature this steel? And other steels? Kind of like what the Sage series is to locks and the Chapparal series is to handle materials, a Taichung series dedicated to blade steels would be pretty nice. Build it to be a mean slicer! I know that the Military and PM series already sort of fulfill this function, but a Taichung option with their level of F&F would be cool and Golden is kind of maxed out on production capabilities these days it seems.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

nccole wrote:Exactly my thoughts, so for this poll I chose the Southfork. Domino would be next, but I would pass on wanting to see this in a Sage or Chap. I want a 3.5" folding blade in this steel. I may just hold out for a Para or Military, and dream of a Stretch CF or Caly 3.5. I also agree that a lot of Taiwan knives are specialized and not just an overall utility knife. When it comes to most of the ethnic series or specialized personal defense knives, the steel is one of the last factors I consider. Don't waste it on a model that is not a good hard worker.
Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
nccole

Post by nccole »

DougC-3 wrote:Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

That is fair. I was however talking more about pretty knives not being hard workers. I love my Chokwe and carry it and it would make a mean slicer, but would never object it to some things my Bradley or PM2 have to handle. I rarely find things smaller knives cannot handle, but just prefer a full size handle and the blade that accompanies it a bit more. A little knife un-clipped that will never need sharpening essentially is appealing. That reminds me, I need to buy an Air soon.
Donut

Post by Donut »

DougC-3 wrote:Why does the image of Cliff and his Chicago keep popping into my mind? :eek: I'm just kidding of course ;) ;) :D :D

I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Donut wrote:I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)

Thats because he is a sasquatch, and extremely difficult to see or photograph. Keep looking though, eventually you'll spot him. :P
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

nccole wrote:That is fair. I was however talking more about pretty knives not being hard workers. I love my Chokwe and carry it and it would make a mean slicer, but would never object it to some things my Bradley or PM2 have to handle. I rarely find things smaller knives cannot handle, but just prefer a full size handle and the blade that accompanies it a bit more. A little knife un-clipped that will never need sharpening essentially is appealing. That reminds me, I need to buy an Air soon.
You're right that a knife like the Caly 3.5 would do the metal more justice and be a better platform for trying it out. And it's probably pretty obvious that I would like another excuse to buy a Sage3 ;) Too bad there's not a Taichung-made knife more like the millie or Manix. The forum Native5 was a precedent for a super steel in a smaller knife that was a big success. Of course it had other things going for it, and the steel had different characteristics. I guess time (or Sal, another natural force ;) ) will tell.
Donut wrote:I'm having trouble seeing Cliff in that picture. :)
hunterseeker5 wrote:Thats because he is a sasquatch, and extremely difficult to see or photograph. Keep looking though, eventually you'll spot him. :P
If I'd done the work he did with that knife, I'm sure I'd have a couple of blisters... hmmm... no spoor either...(j/k) Seriously I wish I had the dedication and work ethic he has. He contributes work and information a lot faster than I can keep up with it. It will be fun to follow his new mule project.
shu

Post by shu »

Sprints do not have to be current production, do they?

Another vote for the PPT.