Damascus steel- What is so special about it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bronco

Post by Bronco »

I only own one damascus style knife. Given the nature of a recent collaboration, Sal might not mind too much seeing it here. :)

DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Basically it is pretty. No other real reason for it. Not any longer....

There are a few examples I see now and again that are decent looking. But more often than not, I think that it is ugly.

Now wootz steel I like the look of...similar to damascus, but not the same.
On the hunt for...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:Hi Mike,

That's another good theory. Maybe I give humans too much credit for planned, rather than chance develoment?

sal
I bought a Caly3 because it has a laminated blade. Love the tech and the idea. Love this knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Officer Gigglez wrote:Obviously it has a unique pattern, but does it offer any advantages that regular steel doesn't? Is the hefty price tag worth it?
Vikings use pattern in their swords to make them stronger. Combination of soft iron and hard steel with certain spring like pattern adds
some spring like properties. Modern days it is nothing but pattern, which somehow I do not like and performance is not very good
it actually worse then component performance. Unless it is suminogashi - where layers made the way that only good steel ends up
on the edge.

There are some urban legends about damscus better performance - like damascus serration etc... You may see them in Sal's post.
But it is not really the case.

Modern layered steels has nothing to do with old Damascus swords or old Viking spring patterns - it is just catchy sales person story.
Now days it is just ornaments and skilled craftsman may do damascus which performs as good as regular steel.