Halpern Swick Handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HalpernTi

Halpern Swick Handles

Post by HalpernTi »

We are working on making production Swick handles.

Just deciding on quantities and colors? Blue? Black? Orange? Carbon?

Are there as many Swicks as Mule Team folks?

Color thoughts? We'll probably start with 2-3 colors.

Flat or 3D?

Small scales below the hole?

Full scales?

Help us out with answers/suggestions to any of the above.
We are close to getting them programmed and running.

The Swick scales will join the Mule Team scales on our new web page going LIVE the week of January 20th (after the SHOT Show). Check out http://www.halperntitanium.com.

Thanks for working with us for the last few years. It's been a fun project, but sometimes we can't respond as fast as we wish.
Happy New Year
Marianne Halpern
'
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi Marianne, my first thought is carbon fiber flat scales, plus a few G10 options in the colors you recommended (black, blue, orange). The idea of having 3D contoured ones is interesting too! Some folks have put up pics of their own scales, maybe they can repost some here for ideas for you. I will try to find the ones I thought looked good and post the links. Thanks, Paul
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marianne,

Swicks are not nearly as many. We make a run of about 500 pcs every year or so. Not as popular as Mule Teams. I would keep them light and I would suggest not making so much variety. SheathPro made a handle for me in a custom wood. I'll try to get a pic posted tomorrow.

sal
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Marianne, if you guys can do the Rosewood Dymondwood as an option, that may be a nice cost-conscious option for us wood handle lovers... Can't wait to see your pic Sal! :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

As sal said I'd keep it pretty light on quantities. Is like to see flat g10 in just two colors orange and black. The Swick is a self defense knife so low key black would be ideal. I also suggest orange for people using the knife for other purposes. I know ill like orange for high visability when I'm in the woods or in my kayak. I'd like full scales that wrap around the finger hole a bit. My 2 cents.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I agree, flat g10 in black would be my preference and probably a good place to start. As low profile as possible.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd love to see a small (below the hole) scale in orange g-10. But I'd take black or blue, too. I'd prefer they be as small and flat as possible while still giving good grip.
HalpernTi

Post by HalpernTi »

Thanks guys- you are helping with our decision. So far black and orange look like definites. We'll start flat. The rosewood would be great in a 3D machined version but that's a lot if programming.
Preference seems to be larger rather than smaller?

Third color or material-
Carbon
Blue
Camo new marine desert brown
Camo green digi cam
A little more feedback and we are closer to getting them machined.
Thanks again
Marianne
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Hmm...seeing as I wear my Swick as a neck knife and already find it a bit heavy after prolonged carry, the carbon fiber seems like a good idea.

What's the price point on these scales?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

For a third color, I'd go with blue. I've got your blue scales on my k390 mule, and I really like them.
HalpernTi

Post by HalpernTi »

We aren't all set yet. Probably 24.00 for G10 and 55.00 if we go with carbon.
Sound okay?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Liquid Cobra wrote:...As low profile as possible.
This is the most important part, IMO. I am sure some like a more full width, but I think thin will lend itself to more carry and in the end use. Thanks for the information Marianne
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

HalpernTi wrote:We aren't all set yet. Probably 24.00 for G10 and 55.00 if we go with carbon.
Sound okay?
Sounds reasonable and I would be interested in the "Camo new marine desert brown"
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That price point sounds great to me, thanks. And like Xceptnl said, thinner the better :)

@liquid_cobra
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Thinner is definitely better. The Swick is very flat and that makes it much nicer/easier to carry. You wouldn't want to ruin that with overly thick scales.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

HalpernTi wrote:Small scales below the hole?

Full scales?
Keep in mind that most of the Swick sheaths being made cover the front 1/4 to 1/2 of the hole, so if you made full scales then most of the sheaths wouldn't fit it.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

I can be happy with the flat, black scales, but surely would not complain if the carbon fiber scales were available. If the 3d scales could be somewhat low profile, I would definitely be interested. In other words, yes to anything you want to try. Mike
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Marianne,

As for the length/shape of the scales -- full scales or to small scales below the hole -- perhaps Spyderco's SPOT w/black micarta model can give you some additional consideration for your design...

"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I would love CF.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I want to thank Halpern Ti for their support of the Mule project and there willingness to provide scales for the Swick. They are great folks to deal with. I believe that black G10 and carbon fiber would be a great starting point. A 3D contoured version would also be nice if the overall thickness was kept to a minimum. It was designed as a neck knife after all.