Curious What Fellow Spydie Fans Have Tastes In Guns/ Carry

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Landon, that "wish " list goes back to the day I turned 21, was in the army and went out to the local Police supply store to look at Rugers. I got a 10, 0r 20% discount for being military.

The one I regret getting rid of the most over the years ( we all have one we should have kept) was a Benelli M3. I loved that one. It was a very nice house gun too. After my second and 3rd shoulder rebuild surgery I decided I didn't want anything that kicked me that much. Years later and with shoulders that work again I really feel the mistake I made getting rid of that. I can take a punch again. Not like I used to maybe but I can deal with 12 ga. A 6.5 lb 12 ga with magnum loads can kick pretty fiercely. The Benelli's of the older generation ( M1,2,3) need full power loads to function properly. M4 is different I hear.

It was unstoppable, very fast firing, and relentlessly nasty. :) Perfect CQB IMO. I was looking at M4 Benellis last year but that's not going to happen any time soon especially as I don't even play the lottery. If I still had the M3 I'd keep it even if I had to live out of my car. :D

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mastiff wrote:... If I still had the M3 I'd keep it even if I had to live out of my car. :D

Joe
It's good to know you have your priorities straight. ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Screwdriver wrote:I heard he got 10+ years. I think he liked it and did not know how to shoot it. It was in the same condition as when it was stolen.
You caught a good break with that. :)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

My favorite is a Ruger Mark II 5½ bull barrel .22LR. Has a sweet trigger and comes in handy now that ammo's so expensive.
Also have a Colt Officer's Model, a S&W 625 N frame revolver, a Mossberg 590 Mariner, and a Mini-30.
Just the basics. ;)

A friend of mine bought a Glock 10mm gen3 with the short frame or slim grip. Pretty sweet gun. Liked it a LOT better than the old model 17's that I tried back when. I'd probably get the .45 version though.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I often wished I would have bought a Ruger Mk II over the lase few decades. They are great to shoot and about the only thing I could afford to shoot nowadays. I was pricing 5.56 and 7.62 ball surplus and it's down to just over twice what it used to sell for. I recall buying 200 round battle packs of German or Portugese ( NATO) stamped .308 for $30 to $40 . 300 round cans of M855 Lake city for maybe $79 ? Seems like less but I can't recall.

My son inherited the .22 rifle which was a practical choice if you want to do some actual shooting and still save money every month like he should be doing at his age. It's up from the $.50 per box of 50 I used to pay but even reloading .38 sp or 9mm isn't affordable on my, or his salary to go shooting monthly much less than weekly like I used to when I was his age.

What good are the best made firearms if you can't shoot them and at least become competent with them?
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mastiff wrote:I often wished I would have bought a Ruger Mk II over the lase few decades. They are great to shoot and about the only thing I could afford to shoot nowadays. I was pricing 5.56 and 7.62 ball surplus and it's down to just over twice what it used to sell for. I recall buying 200 round battle packs of German or Portugese ( NATO) stamped .308 for $30 to $40 . 300 round cans of M855 Lake city for maybe $79 ? Seems like less but I can't recall.

My son inherited the .22 rifle which was a practical choice if you want to do some actual shooting and still save money every month like he should be doing at his age. It's up from the $.50 per box of 50 I used to pay but even reloading .38 sp or 9mm isn't affordable on my, or his salary to go shooting monthly much less than weekly like I used to when I was his age.

What good are the best made firearms if you can't shoot them and at least become competent with them?
My local dealer actually had my particular .22LR of choice in stock the other day (not that I needed any because I still have over 2K rounds from before the scare) and I almost picked up a brick. NOT, no way I was paying $39.95 for 330 rounds of CCI. Even if it was Mini Mag I would have hard time swallowing that price.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I look for it to get a lot more expensive with the closing of the lead smelter in Missouri and last week I read where the Government is going to outlaw any ammo with lead in it by 2018. Just another deliberate well calculated move by the current administration to disarm and destroy this country. 22s are all lead so if they can't find a suitable alternative then what.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Yeah, I never bought into the lead is bad for you thing. Always figured it was all about ammo.

Here's an idea, don't eat the paint chips.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

22s are all lead so if they can't find a suitable alternative then what.
I don't know about 22's but in other rounds of ammo they use tungsten powder in a jacket. It's heavier than lead, and in powder form it isn't going to make it an illegal "armor piercing" bullet. In shotguns they have used steel, tungsten, and something else I can't recall.

I've heard the non lead primers ( to go all green these are necessary) are not as reliable, long lasting or as able to deal with climate extremes. Perhaps they have gotten over this as the military has ordered green training ammo. I don't know if it's only training ammo or if it is approved for combat, and if so, are there differences in shelf life, storage conditions, etc.

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

depleted uranium :p
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Just as you mention the ammo with a shelf life has also been brought up in the past as another means of gun control.
raven

Post by raven »

2 of my favorite weapons...

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Nice looking Jericho. :)
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Tell us about the rifle. Very nice but what is it and what caliber
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Tell us about the rifle. Very nice but what is it and what caliber
Looks to be a Remington 700 LTR in .308 winchester with a Mcree stock, Nightforce scope, Burris XTR rings, Harris bipod...
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Has anyone seen the new Glock model 42 .380
Henry - get both

Post by Henry - get both »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Has anyone seen the new Glock model 42 .380
I looked at it online. I don't have interest in a .380 that isn't a pocket gun.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Henry - get both wrote:I looked at it online. I don't have interest in a .380 that isn't a pocket gun.
Yep, this.
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

Henry - get both wrote:I looked at it online. I don't have interest in a .380 that isn't a pocket gun.
Why do they refuse to make a 9mm single stack? It's what everybody wants!
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
raven

Post by raven »

Henry - get both wrote:Looks to be a Remington 700 LTR in .308 winchester with a Mcree stock, Nightforce scope, Burris XTR rings, Harris bipod...
Yep... Exactly ;) :D

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.