Domino vs. Southard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Domino vs. Southard

Domino
42%
Southard
58%

Total votes: 104

Evil D

Domino vs. Southard

Post by Evil D »

It's showdown time. Which do you prefer and why? I had initially fallen in love with the Domino when the Amsterdam pics were posted, and I've had pretty much the opposite opinion of the Southard ever since it came out, but lately every time I see one, I like it a bit more. One day I realized that the overall basic shape is similar to my modded Rock Lobster, and that's all it took. I'm not a big fan of the spine shape on the Southard, I would much rather it was a leaf shape, but I may look into smoothing out that second point on the spine if I get one. We'll see. I'm not a big fan of the glass fiber scale on the Domino, but I do prefer having the stainless lock tab that the Domino has, and the Southard doesn't. Decisions decisions.

Lastly, if you have both, which steel do you prefer and why?

So...vote it up!
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Southard

I don't like the positioning of the Domino's pocket clip
But it does flip better than the Southard
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I vote Domino. The Southard looks nice, but for cutting performance, the Domino wins hands down, all the way. The Domino flips better too, and has a more functional pocket clip design.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I noticed the Domino has a more pronounced flipper. I also like the choil, but at the same time there's more cutting edge on the Southard at about the same overall length, and I really like that. Something about how slim the width of the Southard is really draws me in. I've been thinking a lot about the upcoming blacked out Southard.
~David
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I prefer the Southard. Hands Down. The FFG of the Domino may make it a better apple slicer, but for me the Southard does everything else better. So few of my knife chores are true slicing cuts. Most of my knife use goes towards opening mail, popping a zip tie, trimming a lose end, or opening packages. None of my routine uses requires true slicing through thick media, but more cutting of relatively thin media. The Southard feels (to me) like it has more substance behind the edge, and therefore I'm more apt to use it on more troublesome mediums like those hard clamshell plastics or zip ties.

As for Carry: I way prefer the smaller, slimmer package of the Southard. The Domino, like the Manix takes up too much pocket real estate. (The Domino Clip wins though)

Steel? I am not a steel junkie, but have had no issues CTS-204P. In fact I think sharpening it is fairly easy and for my uses it maintains a working edge for a while. Due to my overwhelming preference for the Southard, my Domino has not had a need to reprofile or sharpen yet, so I can't really make a judgment on which steel I like better. I do think that the blade shape and FFG vs Hollowgrind variables will have more impact on the cutting ability and edge maintenance than the steel, but once again, I am not as educated in this as I'd like to be.

I like the Domino, but I LOVE my Southard. The Southard and Caly 3 are my two favorites. Add to those 2, the Salt, and those three would likely be the last 3 Spyderco's I'd part with if ever forced to do so.

So long story, short, the Southard wins for me. Everyday, all Day.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyone felt any side wiggle in either knife yet? I'm curious about that, since it seems you could probably get away with tightening the pivot a bit tighter than other knives due to the ball bearing pivot, and still get a smooth action but eliminate any sign of wiggle.
~David
nirvanero

Post by nirvanero »

IMHO the Domino has better ergos and slicing capabilities. It also flips a bit faster than the Southard, but the later has a much smoother action. I think both look great, but the Southard seems more original to me and has that "custom knife" look. One of my favorite steels is M390 which is similar to CTS-204P, it should give the Southard a little advantage in edge retention but I haven't used these that hard to tell the difference. The truth is I've carried more this nice Domino, hard to decide... so far it's a tie.
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

I got the Domino first, as I wasn't a fan of the spine shape on the Southard. The other day I actually got to hold a Southard at a knife store, and ended up buying that as well. Having both, I had to vote for the Southard. Much smaller profile in pocket. Same handle length as the Domino, but slightly longer blade. Both of them flip great, but the thicker blade of the Southard locks in with authority :)

The only negative I have against the Southard is the brown G10 scale. The new release will fix that, but I've already ordered a custom wood scale for mine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah if I got the standared one, the first thing I'd likely do is dye the scale. I do like tan, but not so much brown. I've seen some dyed ones and they looked really nice. The more I think about it, the blacked out Southard might be my first knife purchase of 2014.
~David
Crazy Canuck

Post by Crazy Canuck »

You'll love it. One other thing about the G10, is it's much more aggressive than my other Spydies. Makes the PM2 and Military feel silky smooth in comparison.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Can't say anything about a Domino but its on my to buy list eventually. The Southard I have comes out hard and has zero play side to side. I've gotten a great edge on this run of 204p but also gotten great edges on my xhp Para and Techno. Hold out for the all black Southard to match your Para2 maybe?
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

78lilred wrote:Can't say anything about a Domino but its on my to buy list eventually. The Southard I have comes out hard and has zero play side to side. I've gotten a great edge on this run of 204p but also gotten great edges on my xhp Para and Techno. Hold out for the all black Southard to match your Para2 maybe?
I traded off the Para 2 like 2 years ago dude! But I miss that knife really bad. New Darkside?
~David
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I really like the size and ergos of the Southard. I really like the HG on the Southard. 204P will run circles around XHP, if that matters (it probably doesn't, in real life). I don't like the CF on the Domino, and I'm not crazy about the laminate. I am glad both are in the catalog - choice is good. :spyder:
mattman

Post by mattman »

I have both, and I love them both quite a bit...but they both have some differences...

(following as compared to each other)

Southard:
Pros...
very slim in pocket
my example seems to be the better flipper, but this may be because I carried it so much when it came out, and it was my first flipper, so it got played with a TON... ymmv...

Also, I have not experienced any of the issues that others have reported with the clip, and mine remains unchanged, as manufactured.

I personally am attracted to Brads designs, much more than any other makers, so there may be some bias here...

Cons:
(these are very minor, as I am not really bothered by them, just slight quibbles/preferences)

1. I don't particularly like the brown scale... something a bit flashier, more modern looking, would seem to fit in with Brads typical design cues...

2. I have become accustomed to Spydercos FFG, but my admittedly light duty chores haven't caused any issue with the hollow grind, and I admit that I can't recall what Brad normally uses, so really, I'm not even sure I should call this a con...

both have superb ergos, both have the excellent Taichung fit & finish we are getting spoiled with, the flipper function has me reaching for the flipper tab on my Para2 every time it's back in my pocket (which is still quite often), even though I thought it would be mostly a novelty, I have come to appreciate it's function much more than expected (although there is admittedly a high "fun factor" involved).

If I HAD to choose, the Southard would likely win, I think just on the ease with which it rides in my pocket... it's an amazingly competent tool that effectively disappears in my pocket (probably second only to the esteemed Caly 3.5 in this department...)

TL;DNR... Get both.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

I love the Southard, but I had to sell mine for one reason and one reason only: the awful grind. Too thick and IMHO can't really cut anything besides rope. Anything the whole of the blade would have to go through it would bind up. The Domino flips better, much better grind, and I love the choil.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

I prefer the Southard. I've owned both and I sold the domino and kept the southard, which is my reigning EDC favorite.

The Domino definitely has better ergos, but the Southard is no slouch and feels pretty good in the hand. I did take some sandpaper to the scales on the southard to soften the edges and smooth out the G10 texture a bit. The flipper on the Domino fires like a rocket, but the Southard is much smoother. I really love the stonewashed blade and hollow grind on the Southard. Overall, I think the Southard feels more refined and as someone else pointed out has more of a midtech/custom knife feel to it. I even like the scallops on the spine.

Probably the thing I love most about the Southard is the profile and the carry and how it folds up smaller than the Paramilitary 2, but has almost as much cutting edge as the Military. Carries small, cuts big. Also, you will appreciate your atoma diamond plates when you go to sharpen the CTS-204P.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Evil D wrote:I traded off the Para 2 like 2 years ago dude! But I miss that knife really bad. New Darkside?
Well then, yes lol.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Southard. I'm not a big fan of choils.
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Since you've spent time with a para2 I can give a quick rundown on comparison. Para is wider in pocket, wider blade, longer handle, shorter blade. Southard will feel smoother and stronger than a para2.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

My buddy got a Domino a few weeks ago and I got a Southard last week. So I really need more time for a totally intelligent view point, but here's what I think as of right now.

If I didn't already have a Sage 1, I probably would have bought a Domino instead without handling either. That being said, after handling both, the Southard just has a special something about it which is tough to tell from pictures or words. There is something about how it fits in your hand, the shape and the quality fit and finish that BEGS you to use it.

It doesn't flip as good as the Domino, yes. However, it still flips quite nicely and locks up rock solid.
The blade isn't as slim as the Domino, yes. However, the hollow grind, stone washed finish and shape are just great and I have yet to find a situation where I felt it lacked cutting prowess.

The choil on the Domino allows for better choking up on the knife, but in terms of full grip the Southard feels much better. You can still choke up on the Southard pretty easily and the extra blade length makes you feel like you aren't missing anything. In fact, you are gaining a lot.

You mention being unsure about the blade shape and spine, but I think when you get one in hand you will appreciate it much more. Sliding the thumb forward finds that little groove on the top and it cradles the thumb perfectly. The stone washed blade with that extra thickness just feels so good... it feels almost naughty. Seriously, I don't know what it is but this is the first knife that sliding my finding down the spine makes me feel a little guilty... like I'm cheating on my girlfriend or something.

So many Spyderco knives fall into that territory of "once you hold em, you appreciate them more" and I feel like the Southard is so right on the money in that regard. The blade to handle ratio, the ergos and the fit and finish just amaze me.

Really, there are two things wrong with it. The pocket clip is silly (sharp tip, too shiny, and personally I like deeper carry) and the brown G-10 is bland and too grippy. I've already ordered a replacement clip from STR that solves problem #1 and I plan to get some replacement scales to solve problem #2. After that, I see it being dangerously close to being my perfect knife.

Also, in no way construe this as being a knock on the Domino. I think the Domino is a GREAT knife and it manages to capture classic Spyderco styling cues in a perfect flipper design. However, it just doesn't have that special something the Southard does IMO. If they release a sprint version of the Domino with different scales, I will more than likely pick one up down the road.