Sheath For Folding Hobbit?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tonie Nichols

Sheath For Folding Hobbit?

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Yeah, I know it may seem way early to be talking about this, but is it really?

I have one of the older original model Folding Hobbits, the one with the release lever located on the front of the handle scale. A real finger pincher that. But I digress. With the knife I also received a minimalist kydex break front belt sheath which if you practiced enough, allowed you to perform an inertial opening as you pushed the knife from the sheath.

To see this in action watch the intro to the History Channel episode "Axes, Swords and Knives" of the Modern Marvels series But watch quick, it's just the blink of an eye.

So is something comparable going to be offered for the Spydie version?

Please yes?
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

The original Pocket Hobbit breakfront sheaths were made by "Skunkworks" out of .093 kydex; good concept (don't know whose), inconsistent execution. When REKAT sent some Pocket Hobbits to the 75th Rangers, they had me make my HD (.125 Concealex) version of the concept to be used with them. I gave one of these HD holsters to Sal a long time ago, so who knows what will happen. Can't remember if I included my own deployment video or not. Deployment draw with the breakfront is very fast

[ATTACH]23016[/ATTACH]
Attachments
3-PHholsters_w.jpg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tonie,

We're still in the designing stage. Sheaths, if desired, will come later. If we do make a sheath, it will be more like Mike Sastre's. He does very nice work.

sal
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Thank you Mike for the pictures. I'm going to have to assume mine is one of the Skunkworks.

Thank you Mr. Sal for the reply.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Tonie,

Here's a comparison picture for you (couldn't find it when first posted). The middle holster is by Skunkworks. They work ok as a general rule, but if you are doing a lot o practice draws or using the knife more than casually, the HD model functions better over time. Added another look at the REKAT PH and version of the Skunkworks holster.

[ATTACH]23026[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23027[/ATTACH]
Attachments
PocketHobbit_w.jpg
HDPocketHobbit_w.jpg
sanaclous

Post by sanaclous »

I hardly found anything on the hobbit but here goes:
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showt ... id/933705/
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Mike, Sanaclous--

Thanx so much for the references and pictures. I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Hobbit Warrior as it is the knife that took me from being a collector to being a practitioner.

I had seen the Hobbit Warrior on the cover of a magazine and called Bob Taylor to ask where I could get one. He gave me the name and number of a man who had one for sale and who lived only a mile away. Long story short I met the man, bought the knife, and stayed to train with him for ten years. He's retired from training now but we still get together every few weeks. I count this man one of the best friends I have ever had in my life.

As a matter of fact I just spent a couple hours with him yesterday.

All because of a whim to buy a knife.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

Great story,Tonie! If you like the Pocket Hobbit and Hobbit Warrior, you should also like Spyderco's soon to be released Pygmy Warrior. It is basically a fixed blade version the size of a deployed Pocket Hobbit, with a handle who's thickness can be adjusted to your hand size. Sheath will have a G-Clip for maximum carry versatility. I still talk with Bob all the time.
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

Thanx Mike,

I've been looking forward to the Pygmy Warrior after having handled one at the Eugene Knife Show. I have another thread somewhere regarding this topic relating to my disappointment in the delay of it's release. However, I was assured by Greg Walker on the thread that the delay was the result of the demand for the absolute correctness of the sheath and carry system. I can live with that.
sal

Post by sal »

Bob Taylor has a sample and sheath. Waiting on his feedback.

sal
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

sal wrote:Bob Taylor has a sample and sheath. Waiting on his feedback.

sal
A chill has just ran down my spine and to my wallet!!!!!!
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

It'll be a great addition to the Spyderco line and a very good seller, I'ma think'in.
GW