Gatco Sharpening system?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Gatco Sharpening system?

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Anyone had experience with one? Curious because my brother recommended one.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

1) I use it exclusively, love it. Added the coarse diamond and ultra fine ceramic, the diamond is a breeze for reprofiling.
I would def recommend it.

2) i feel this thread getting knocked to off topic unless someone compares it to the SM. As i do not have one, alas, i cannot make the comparison.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Pretty much the same as the Lansky system.

For me the sharpmaker, and other croc-stick style systems are easier for day-to-day touch ups, and better teach muscle memory and the skills needed for freehand sharpening. Lansky and Gatco are nice if you want to reprofile, but I feel like it's kinda like driving an automative transmission.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
GaTChE

Post by GaTChE »

The Gatco has some issues that lead me to prefer the similar DMT system.

1) With the set I had, I found the angle that the rods protruded from the different stones wasn't always the same, making it impossible to hit the same angle when progressing through stones. It was especially noticeable when switching from diamond to std stones. I played around with bending the rods to make them match, but they would rotate in use making it worse. Maybe someone else has a solution for this, but I haven't come across it yet.
2) the plastic 'wings' that extend lengthwise along the edge of the stone catch on the handle of thicker handled knives and don' let you sharpen the very heel end of the blade - though you can trim them off with a little effort.
3) the clamp interferes with the stone at low angles. This one wasn't difficult to alleviate by taking a coarse file to the outside edge of the clamp and creating more clearance, and I still use this clamp with the DMT stones & holder because it seems to hold the blade better for me (although the angle markings are pretty useless due tho the different stone/holder geometries).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Better than a Lansky in 3 ways. 1, it has thicker stronger guide rods that help prevent flexing. When the rods flex even a small amount, it changes the angle that the stones hit at. 2, more angle options. 3, bigger wider stones that cut more efficiently. Other than that it still suffers from the same issues as every other clamp system out there but if you don't wanna take the plunge for an Edge Pro and don't wanna try the Sharpmaker, it's one of the better alternatives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nccole

Post by nccole »

I use the GATCO and SM. GATCO for re-profiling, and the SM for micro-beveling and touch ups. I had the GATCO for quite a while by itself, and got tired of clamping up a knife just to touch up the edge. I bought the SM and love that. I would like to grab an Edge Pro for my re-profiling chores, but the GATCO is decent and serviceable. I did a lot of research when I originally bought it, and it seemed like the best guided rod system at the time. If I were going to be buying a guided rod type setup now, I would grab the KME system. It doesn't have as much discussion and pros and cons laid out, but it appears to be an upgrade to the Lansky and GATCO.
sal

Post by sal »

The original system was invented by Mr. Ray Longbrake back in the late 70's. Called the "Loray" sharpener. Arthur Levine was a distributor of Loray's. Ray and Aruthur had a falling out and Arthur tooled up and created the "Lansky" version. John Anthon was the Sales manager for Lansky. John and Arthur had a falling out and john created GATCO and tooled up his version. DMT also made a version as did others. Just some history.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:The original system was invented by Mr. Ray Longbrake back in the late 70's. Called the "Loray" sharpener. Arthur Levine was a distributor of Loray's. Ray and Aruthur had a falling out and Arthur tooled up and created the "Lansky" version. John Anthon was the Sales manager for Lansky. John and Arthur had a falling out and john created GATCO and tooled up his version. DMT also made a version as did others. Just some history.

sal
I love when you drop in little nuggets like that for those of us who either weren't around back then or don't know the behind the scenes of the hobby. You should do more of that :D
~David
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Evil D wrote:I love when you drop in little nuggets like that for those of us who either weren't around back then or don't know the behind the scenes of the hobby. You should do more of that :D
I second that. Learned some history on Damascus in another thread. :)
Also very appreciative of his open candidness regarding the trial and errors of his products and the challenges he faces as a manufacturer. I think that is rare and certainly makes me more a fan.

Back on topic - as the Lansky is similar, it can produce a very nice edge. It was the first "knife sharpener" that worked for me, including reprofiling a recurve. Not sure if the Gatco would have similar issue with dealing with changing angles due to varibility of stone thickness, though.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

WorkingEdge wrote:I second that. Learned some history on Damascus in another thread. :)
Also very appreciative of his open candidness regarding the trial and errors of his products and the challenges he faces as a manufacturer. I think that is rare and certainly makes me more a fan.

Back on topic - as the Lansky is similar, it can produce a very nice edge. It was the first "knife sharpener" that worked for me, including reprofiling a recurve. Not sure if the Gatco would have similar issue with dealing with changing angles due to varibility of stone thickness, though.
Stone thickness absolutely makes a difference, but there's not much you can do about it aside from lapping all your stones at the same time and measuring thickness and then lapping them all to be the same, which wastes stone material. This is also why diamond stones are the best option for these setups. .
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I love when you drop in little nuggets like that for those of us who either weren't around back then or don't know the behind the scenes of the hobby. You should do more of that :D
+1 to that. We should have a "Sal's Pearls of Wisdom" sticky thread!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

sal wrote:The original system was invented by Mr. Ray Longbrake back in the late 70's. Called the "Loray" sharpener. Arthur Levine was a distributor of Loray's. Ray and Aruthur had a falling out and Arthur tooled up and created the "Lansky" version. John Anthon was the Sales manager for Lansky. John and Arthur had a falling out and john created GATCO and tooled up his version. DMT also made a version as did others. Just some history.

sal

I have/started out on the Lo-Ray back in 79.. Then to Lansky!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Thanks for the info. I'll look into one.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal
The evolution of a sharpening idea through his patents:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 733933.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 819170.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 170343.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 320892.pdf

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=pate ... 486982.pdf
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
sal

Post by sal »

Great stuff Brian. Thanx much.

sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

xceptnl wrote:+1 to that. We should have a "Sal's Pearls of Wisdom" sticky thread!
In all seriousness, that sounds like a great idea!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I have the diamond version and added an ultra fine stone. I use it to reprofile and the initial edge. After that I freehand sharpen everything. Works great.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looking at the KME sharpner.. Like the stone choices and the stone holder set up!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

jmh58 wrote:Looking at the KME sharpner.. Like the stone choices and the stone holder set up!! John
That ^^^^ I have a KME.It works great !
nccole

Post by nccole »

jmh58 wrote:Looking at the KME sharpner.. Like the stone choices and the stone holder set up!! John
For me the greatest advantage it appears to hold over the others is the guide ball for the rods, the fact that the one rod screws into the one stone holder, and the flipping action to do the other side of the knife. I would imagine that the angle consistency is far superior in this model. That along with controlling and lessening my pressure has showed to be the most important aspect in achieving a great edge. I think my next sharpening system (after maybe trying the diamond stones and UF stones for the SM) will be the Edge Pro, so I probably won't ever try the KME system, but had I know about it before I got the GATCO I would have picked up the KME.