Subway vs Blimpie vs Other Submarine Sandwich/Hero/ Sandwich places?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
M80

Post by M80 »

I like Mr. Sub and Subway
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

As a former sandwich artist for over three years, it took another four years before I could eat there again.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
akapennypincher

Matt & Tony's was the best

Post by akapennypincher »

When I was young in North Hollywood CA on Victory Boulevard there was Matt & Tony's. Sesame Seeded Italian Bread, hard on the out side. The Topping were Dill Pickles, Onion, and Crushed or Chopped Tomatoes. There Italian Cold Cuts Special was the best, and there was MEAT on the Sandwich. No need to ask for Double or Extra Meat.

The Choice were 3 or 4 different sandwiches, and whole or Half load. YUM.
Syncharmony

Post by Syncharmony »

einstein2001 wrote:As a former sandwich artist for over three years, it took another four years before I could eat there again.
Was sandwich artist the actual job title? That's pretty funny.

Yeah, I ate at subway too much in college and I don't really like it much anymore.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I like Quiznos more than Subway, but go to subway more frequently due to availability. I went to Blimpie couple times many years ago. I do not like this place. `
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

fanglekai wrote:Mr Goodcents is decent around here. They slice the meat and cheese fresh, unlike Subway. The Goodcents near me has fresh bread daily and is kept absolutely immaculate.
You took the words right out of my mouth!
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

akapennypincher wrote:When I was young in North Hollywood CA on Victory Boulevard there was Matt & Tony's. Sesame Seeded Italian Bread, hard on the out side. The Topping were Dill Pickles, Onion, and Crushed or Chopped Tomatoes. There Italian Cold Cuts Special was the best, and there was MEAT on the Sandwich. No need to ask for Double or Extra Meat.

The Choice were 3 or 4 different sandwiches, and whole or Half load. YUM.
That is funny....I live off of Victory, in North Hollywood. A few blocks from the bank robbery and shootout.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

Another vote for Firehouse or any place that uses REAL meat VS turkey based, flavored to taste like whatever "meat".
Donut

Post by Donut »

I like Firehouse subs. Quiznos is good, not great, they seem to be closing here.

I tried Jersey Mike's over the weekend, I'm not too impressed. It tastes better than Subway.

Subway seems pretty middle of the road. Most of the time you get better subs from a Grocery store.

Blimpie is pretty nice, but they've gotten a bit too fancy. I liked them a while back when they just made you a nice sub with good meat.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

On a related note, I have wondered: How many sandwiches (hero and otherwise) are made, total, every day, in the USA alone? It would have to be in the millions?

enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I feel like Subway is that girl I used to date before I moved up to classier women.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Fontano's off of Taylor street in Chicago. The magic is the melding of Turano bread, gardinara and ham salami and provalone.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Quizno's Beef Peppercorn with Au Jus. Awwwwe yeah
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Donut wrote:I like Firehouse subs.
Brian,

Did you get a chance to try the King's Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich from earlier this year? It was a limited thing, but I was visiting Firehouse once week to get one.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jonny8642

Post by Jonny8642 »

I haven't been on here in forever but I'll put my $0.02 in. As far as major chains go
Subway: is like my mcdonalds no matter where I'm at for work big city or small town, I can usually find one and get decent food just pay a little extra for more meat
Jimmy Johns: Awesome delivery service when I lived inside a delivery zone. But the same thing pay for the little extra meat on certain ones or add bacon to the beach club (freaken amazing)
firehouse: get to one once in a while but they're pretty good.

Mom and pop places if you're ever in CO try to go to Comminiello Meats in Westminster small italian deli with low priced sandwiches that taste amazing, South Philly Cheesesteak in Arvada get extra cheese on theirs you'll thank me later, another place was Oscars kabobs and gyros Great sausage sandwiches but they closed due to highway expansion :(
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I like Quiznos best for chains, but there are Subways everywhere so I go there more often. I heard the Subway franchise is the bargin of the franchise world, so that would explain why every corner has one. I live on an acreage outside the city, the gas station in the small town up the highway has a Subway even. So if I'm needing a fast meal when the wife is not home I usually pop in there on the way home. I'm not a huge fan of either soup or sandwhiches, during my teenage year my parents ran a soup and sandwhich place, so I've had my share :)
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:Opinions? What do you like best? Blimpie seems to give the largest portions but some Subway sandwiches are nice, like the meatball and cold cut trio.

Must admit, those meatball subs at Subway are excellent.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Just tried a new place here today with the wife called Pepperjax Grill. Best Philly steak sandwich I've had since I was in the Philly area for work during summer of 2012.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Screwdriver wrote:I would vote for Subway....as for Jersey Mike's.....bleh. Overpriced for the portion. But for a sub, I prefer to hit local mom and pop places. In Los Angeles it is Cavarettas, Jim's Meat Market, Dan's Super Subs, and DeFranko's Submarine Sandwiches.
My experience has been the opposite, with Jersey Mike's beating Subway most of the time. I may have to check out some of those other places you listed.
Screwdriver wrote:That is funny....I live off of Victory, in North Hollywood. A few blocks from the bank robbery and shootout.
I'm in NoHo as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
angusW

Post by angusW »

I use to eat at Subway all the time and would get a BMT mostly. Don't eat there that often now a days but the reason I liked it back then was they were the only place that had jalapeno peppers. No one else seemed to have them in the past, at least around here. These days I go to this Mom and Pop called Bonanza. Best subs around and one of the cheapest.

Back in '99 I was working in a small town that had a Subway. At that time I would eat at Subway all the time but the one in this small town was the worst Subway I've ever been in. First I go into the bathroom to wash up but they didn't have any cold water and ended up scolding my hands a bit to wash the soap off. Go to the counter to order my BMT and ask for jalapeno peppers. The lady says they don't have them and I ask "Why not?" She said they would have to charge extra. I then get my cup to get my iced tea. Problem is, the ice machine had no ice for my ice tea. I then ask her to speak to the manager and she says she is the manager. So I ask her if they charge extra for ice. I get my sub, sit down and dig in to my delicious BMT and she was kind enough to add a bit extra in the sub. Staples. Yes, there were staples in the sub. I go back up with the sub and ask if she could make another which she does. I sit down and slowly take a couple bites of the new sub. Even though she put olives on this one I took a third bite and I get a mouthful of staples with my sub. I then walk up, smile at her and notify that this one also has staples and politely throw it on the counter where the subs are prepared. Last time I went to that Subway but have enjoyed every once in a while.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies