Spyderco Vallotton

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Too heavy in my opinion! I only buy knives that I will carry and having handled the Vallotton it was just too heavy for me.

The other thing is that the Taiwanese Spydercos are incredibly expensive outside the US - for example the retail price on the Domino is over FIVE HUNDRED dollars, and the subhilt is not far behind this.
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Michael Janich wrote:The knife world is filled with creative designers and craftsmen. Unfortunately, some of their innovations become so widely used they get taken for granted and we lose sight of the history and original genius behind them. Spyderco tries to correct that whenever possible and help everyone give credit where credit is due when it comes to knife history. Butch Vallotton pioneered the concept of having thumb stud do double duty and also serve as the stop pin for a knife's lock. The Vallotton Subhilt recognizes his innovation, but as a Spyderco also includes our Trademark Round Hole.

Thank you all for your passion for this knife. In addition to all the cool things you mentioned, it's one of my favorites in the line because of its blade shape, which is reminiscent of traditional Japanese tanto designs.

Stay safe,

Mike
That's a superb insight- thanks: I've looked and looked and couldn't work out* if the thumbstuds actually did provide an extra lock up or were merely aesthetic- I'm pleased that it's a combination of the both.

*I'm sure I could've with enough beating and abuse, but I couldn't do to my Valloton ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Mike, could you provide some insight as to why there aren't more Spyderco tanto blades?
That's a question best answered by Sal and Eric, since they choose what Spyderco makes.

If you are a fan of Americanized tantos with faceted points, you may like the Battlestation design from Dialex that's in the new 2014 catalogs.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I like the Vallotton but it's not one I carry a lot because of the weight and the grind. It's not a slicer.
My biggest complaint is that the knife would look so much better without the hump caused by the opening hole. I understand why Spyderco needs to use their trademarked hole but in the case of the Vallotton it isn't needed and makes the knife less attractive.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Michael Janich wrote: because of its blade shape, which is reminiscent of traditional Japanese tanto designs
I like the way they have added an angled grind at the tip in addition to the hollow grind. It always bugged me that long blades had a straight hollow grind and they had to fudge somewhere in order to get a thin edge all the way up to the tip. With the Vallotton they didn't have to fudge, they added a second grind.
v8r

Post by v8r »

It will wave open if you pull it from your pocket fast enough also ;)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I love the hump! To me it adds character to the knife just like the Gayle Bradley, Starmate, and the Stretch series! :)
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

The Butch Vallotton dual action 'custom' version is on my grail list, that, is a fine knife. I've always held off on the production model for what appears to me as an unnecessarily thick handle and blade, would love a Vallotton on a diet.
I see, said the blind man.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I've got one of the DA Vallottons, and it is a sweet piece.