Spyderco Vallotton

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eric m.

Spyderco Vallotton

Post by eric m. »

General Consensus of the Vallotton? The quality of this, my 3rd spyderco , purchased in Sept of this year, was what started my 3 month binge on buying spyderco knives!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Vallotton is a tank. The fit and finish superb. Wish the holes in the bolsters weren't there.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The Vallotton is a tank. The fit and finish superb. Wish the extra holes weren't in the bolsters. Mine has had little carry time. Can't carry too large a knife at work. Do like to get it out and admire the craftsmanship and beauty.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I haven't had occasion to carry mine, yet. But, I agree it is a stout beauty to behold and hold.
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

That is my most carried knife. I absolutely love it. Big and beefy build while also having smooth elegant design.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

She is a big girl for sure, but the build feels like it was designed to withstand serious work.....If only the finish wasn't so nice, I'd bring myself to beat her.

The only- minor, tiny, vanishingly insignificant- thing I can't understand is: Why a hole AND thumbstuds?
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
haarspalter

Post by haarspalter »

also love mine, havent carried it much though..... should give her some pocket time!
:spyder: Mule k390-S110v-Cruwear, Gayle Bradley, Cruwear Military Collectors #13V, CPM-M4-Ti Military CF Scales, Para2 20cp
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

demoncase wrote:The only- minor, tiny, vanishingly insignificant- thing I can't understand is: Why a hole AND thumbstuds?
IIRC, those actually brace the blade into the bolster when it's deployed. Strengthens it, if you will.

While you could use them to open, I don't think that is the primary intent.

But that's just my recollection and I don't actually own one to confirm.

Ken
玉鋼
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I bought Vallotton couple month ago and I like it a lot. it is beautiful design. Quality of build, F&F is outstanding on a pair with my best Mokis, Volpe and several golden made knives.
certainly a keeper, but if my need will stay the same, I will never carry it due to size, weight and most important very thick edge grind. There is nothing wrong with all of these. The design intend is totally opposite to my needs. Still I like it a lot and wanted for "collection". I never camp, but I have one of Hossoms :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

The fit and finish of the vallotton is definitely up to semi-custom level, and while a heavy knife and therefore not carried much, the thick, straight blade would be the ultimate "stabber"! I have a Randall Number 5"camp and trail" fixed blade that I had made for myself about 5 years ago, and the Vallotton's quality of build puts it in the handmade category for me! Although not carried much this italian-styled stilletto is one of the knives I would carry if I knew I were going into harm's way, along with my Szabo! :spyder:
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

I have to say I feel the same as many of you about my Vallotton. The knife is so supremely beautiful I want to carry it more, but it is a little too beefy for most days in dress slacks. I do carry this to special events in a suit or if I want to show family and friends a really special knife but it is hard for me to find a real "use" for the knife. I will again second the desire to have one without the needless bolster holes...could have taken the f+f level up another notch still.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

demoncase wrote:The only- minor, tiny, vanishingly insignificant- thing I can't understand is: Why a hole AND thumbstuds?
The knife world is filled with creative designers and craftsmen. Unfortunately, some of their innovations become so widely used they get taken for granted and we lose sight of the history and original genius behind them. Spyderco tries to correct that whenever possible and help everyone give credit where credit is due when it comes to knife history. Butch Vallotton pioneered the concept of having thumb stud do double duty and also serve as the stop pin for a knife's lock. The Vallotton Subhilt recognizes his innovation, but as a Spyderco also includes our Trademark Round Hole.

Thank you all for your passion for this knife. In addition to all the cool things you mentioned, it's one of my favorites in the line because of its blade shape, which is reminiscent of traditional Japanese tanto designs.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

IMO this is one of the strongest Spyderco knives available. Most are quick to say the GB, but I'll put my money on the Vallotton every time. If I had it my way, they would figure out how to add those thumb stud/stop pins to every model. They make lock up so much tighter and all but eliminate side play.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

The fit and finish of the Vallotton is superb, some pics of the excellent craftmanship...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I gotta quit reading this thread or I'm going to wind up ordering *yet another* new spydie this month! :D
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Beautiful pictures that almost do the knife justice! Once you get the knife in your hands, everything said in this thread comes to life!!! Thankyou for the pictures again! :spyder:
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Michael Janich wrote:The knife world is filled with creative designers and craftsmen. Unfortunately, some of their innovations become so widely used they get taken for granted and we lose sight of the history and original genius behind them. Spyderco tries to correct that whenever possible and help everyone give credit where credit is due when it comes to knife history. Butch Vallotton pioneered the concept of having thumb stud do double duty and also serve as the stop pin for a knife's lock. The Vallotton Subhilt recognizes his innovation, but as a Spyderco also includes our Trademark Round Hole.

Thank you all for your passion for this knife. In addition to all the cool things you mentioned, it's one of my favorites in the line because of its blade shape, which is reminiscent of traditional Japanese tanto designs.

Stay safe,

Mike
Mike, could you provide some insight as to why there aren't more Spyderco tanto blades?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

rodloos, You wouldn't regret it!!! ;)
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Its definitely a must buy. I have quite a few knives, and even more non-knife friends, and that is the only one that I've been stopped and asked for a closer look at the knife. It really is a velvet hammer.

My only reservation, and I must nitpick, is that few of the edges are broken on it. That is to say the edges on the spine, and the edges around the insides of the liners, are quite sharp. Its not catastrophic certainly, but I wouldn't call it optimally comfortable either.

Its also worth noting that the draw from the pocket on this knife is easy on your pants and silky smooth on account of its polished handles.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Hands down this is the nicest Spyderco I've ever owned or handled. It's also one of the most beautiful knives they make and one of the strongest knives they make, and absolute beast! And my gosh, it has such a smooth action. For me the knife was too big/heavy and I knew I'd never end up carrying it so I sold it. Can't handle owning a knife I don't carry. One suggestion: I think they should make the bolsters out of titanium.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon