"Public friendly" small EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kweb

Post by Kweb »

I have used both the Cat and the Dragonfly and given the choice i will take the Dragonfly every time. The Cats detent keeps the blade from closing smoothy.
My :spyder:'s : Sage 1, Native 4, Cricket, Dragonfly 2, Tenacious, Persistence Blue, Jason Breeden Rescue, Cat, Delica 4 Grey FFG, Renegade, CF Dodo, Orange Endura 4 FFG, Lum Chinese Folder
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

As I've already suggested, based on your list, get the Dragonfly-2. That being said, if you want a really cool/working knife for less than $15, check out the Kershaw OD-2. It's an awesome, smallish, useful knife.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

A knife has to be a heckuvaknife for me to recommend it without a lock. There's a reason a lot of people carry these little workhorse wonders (who can legally carry lockers)...

Of course, if you insist, these are excellent knives, too...

- best wishes, Jazz.
Leon

Post by Leon »

I think I've decided to go for the DF2
now I'm trying to decide whether the ZDP-189 is worth the extra money,
better edge retention means harder to sharpen when you eventually need to, and I'm by no means good at it!

The other negative I could think of is that the ZDP-189 dragonfly seems to come in British Racing Green only,
or at least the ones I saw..
so yea..what do you guys think?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Another vote for the Cricket, but Dragonfly of the three you listed.
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Probably can't go wrong with any of them. I personally would opt for the Dragonfly, but probably in H1 (not knocking VG10, just prefer the low maintenance of H1).
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Leon wrote:I think I've decided to go for the DF2
better edge retention means harder to sharpen when you eventually need to, and I'm by no means good at it!

The other negative I could think of is that the ZDP-189 dragonfly seems to come in British Racing Green only,
I'd stay away from the ZDP if you don't feel confident in your sharpening ability. VG-10 is a wonderful steel and easier to maintain (sharpening, corrosion) than ZDP.
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

VG-10 is easy to sharpen on the Sharpmaker. Good steel. I just do a little touch up when needed. I just picked up a Caly 3.5 in VG-10 over the ZDP.
LC ray

Post by LC ray »

D fly
zinczinc

Post by zinczinc »

Another vote here for the Dragonfly
glbpro

Post by glbpro »

Leon wrote:I think I've decided to go for the DF2

I recently got a ZDP-189 dragonfly as a present for a friend and it was seriously scary sharp out of box - I feel that ZDP-189 not only holds it's edge longer, it also seems to come sharper than VG-10 from the factory, IMO.

If you are a knife owner and user I feel that learning to sharpen is a basic and worthwhile skill to acquire, and getting a sharpmaker will take virtually all the guesswork out of it. The trick with ZDP-189, as with all hard knife steels, is to keep it touched up, much as you would the paint job on a nice car. Just a few strokes after a day's use will prevent it ever becoming so dull that a major sharpening project is needed.

I like the BRG - it's a very dark green and looks almost black under certain lighting.

All the best with your choice!
Regards,
Bruno

"Each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked." - Nehemiah 4:18
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I have a Nishijin handled Dragonfly which has a ZDP-189 blade. I've now had to touch it up once, and the trick most here recommend really worked for me; light pressure and more strokes on the sharpmaker. I'm still amazed how long it went before needing a touch up, and it was easily my sharpest Spyderco right out of the box. It still slices paper more easily than any of my knives, though geometry etc. also plays some factor in that. I'm completely sold on ZDP, and I've done absolutely nothing to prevent corrosion with it other than making sure it's clean when I put it away, and no noticeable corrosion or patina yet.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

The yellow DFly Salt is pretty public friendly as well. I tell folks it is my "fishing knife" and it doesn't set off alarm bells in most situations.

TedP
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I prefer something a little more hand filling so I will still recommend the cat over the dragonfly! If you have large hands you might want to consider this. :rolleyes:
Leon

Post by Leon »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice!

I ended up getting the orange vg-10 dragonfly!
[ATTACH]23001[/ATTACH]
Attachments
20131206_203758.jpg
Freman

Post by Freman »

I'm sure you'll love it.

Still looking at a ZDP Dragonfly.
Revival

Post by Revival »

Awesome... Congrats. I'm sure you will love it!
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Nice.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Dragonfly. Ergos are great for such a small knife. I've been meaning to pick up the salt model for beach edc
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I only have the D'fly2 of the 3 you mentioned and it is a great little/big knife. Others have suggested other knives so I will too. I didn't read every post though. I LOVE the Manbug. I like it better than the D'fly for my small knife EDC. But since I also always have a bigger knife I can live with the smaller Manbug instead of the D'fly2. But if you only want to carry one knife the D'fly may be the better choice. The D'fly handle gives you a better grip for harder cutting chores like cutting thick cardboard. OTOH, the Manbug is one tough little knife and will handle much more than it's size would suggest. I also would say get the G-10 handle in whichever model you get. They have liners instead of just FRN. FRN is a GREAT handle material but I like the liners. They seem to give the knives a little more umph (technical, industry term :) ).

Jack
PS
Both are available with ZDP-189 blade steel.