Civilian vs Matriarch: which do you prefer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Between the Two, I would go with the Matriarch.

Regarding the Lil Matriarch, how does its tip compare to the Tasman Salt's? I use my Tasmans a lot, but am mindful with their tips, since I lost a bit of the tip on one of them when it accidentally bumped the table lightly while doing some cutting.

I would imagine the Matriarch or Civilian would be fearsome weapons, but always wondered at the delicate tips. If it were brought into action in a violent, life-threatening situation, in many cases I wouldn't expect the tip to survive. Of course, if it WERE actually used as such, it most likely would be confiscated as evidence anyway.

Jim
Sparki

Post by Sparki »

I've been eyeing a waved matriarch 2 for my next spydie. They look great.

Civilian seems a tad too big for me.
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

JD Spydo wrote:I could have swore that I did indeed hear at one time, through a very established Forum member say that the Gray handled, ATS-55 Matriarch models were intended for the South African market. I had also heard that many years ago as well. It hasn't been that long ago ( maybe a year at the most) that I heard someone here on the Forum repeating that bit about the Gray handled Matriarchs being designated for the South African market verbatim. I never heard why they made them or marketed them for our South African brothers and sisters but I heard that from several sources that I deemed reputable at the time?????

I do believe that the VG-10 models from the early 2000s were not many in numbers because I had a tough time finding the EDC version I still have. I'll sure take what you say under advisement and I'll do some more inquiring about it. It's a great SD folder no matter what the history. Actually it was you Mr. Sastre that made me take a very hard look at the Matriarch when at one time I was 100% sold on the Civilian and when I discovered how much more versatile the Matriarch was I never once looked back. >>> and for that I truly thank you immensely. >> JD
Trust me on this JD. Prior to the Gray Matriarch becoming available as a BF exclusive (limit 3 to one buyer), Matriarchs were only available in South Africa and with a black handle. Prior to the Gray one being available, I had carried a first Gen G-10 Civilian (absolutely no liners) in one of my neck sheaths. The Matriarch was lighter while only sacrificing 1/4" max of the Civy's blade length, so became my EDC necker at the time. At that point, the SA black version was unavailable here and I was in the middle of acquiring one from a gentleman in SA, when Spyderco decided to make the black version a production item here, based on the response from the BF crowd. Almost paid much more than I had to to get one. As often happens, one bit of misinformation posted on the internet will get repeated enough times until all of a sudden it becomes fact. I still carry that same gray Matriarch when I am sleeping away from home.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

James Y wrote:
Regarding the Lil Matriarch, how does its tip compare to the Tasman Salt's? I use my Tasmans a lot, but am mindful with their tips, since I lost a bit of the tip on one of them when it accidentally bumped the table lightly while doing some cutting.
I don't use my knives tough but the Lil is pretty sturdy. I would probably tip my hat to H1 for being more tough but either should be fine for your uses.

All reverse s or hawkbills need a little extra care with the tip. Physiologically when you use it the tip is canted towards more aggressive cutting than a knife where it is ramped away (knives with belly/sweep). Over penetration or hitting hard things is just more common.
Greg Walker

Post by Greg Walker »

Just scored 1st Generation Civilian in 99% condition with original zip pouch and Spyderco letter about the design for $145 :) .

I am a very happy fellow :cool:
GW