Knifecenter XHP Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I know you're kidding and slight protruding like pictured above will certainly not engage it but this condition anyway may actually be a safety issue that companies cover under warranty. On one of my SB 3.5's, the lockswitch isn't flush. Other than it making a rare Spyderco a little less desirable, you can tell its there with its odd tactile feel of it in use gripped hard or not. It's from the lockbar sinking into the lock-well because of too much wear or too little material between the contact points. It's a recognized warranty issue as there may also be a problem with the lock and it can be sent in to be adjusted but with the 3.5 being pinned construction AND a disco'd run, I cannot replace it and chose to keep it than get a replacement value when I sent it in.
SIGnificant

Post by SIGnificant »

Well, I stopped buying this year around Halloween. Guess now that will be Thanksgiving. Fail. :rolleyes:
TSchloz

Post by TSchloz »

I got my shipping notice today. :D

Tom
EggsnBacon

Post by EggsnBacon »

I'd buy two if they were native 5's, but I think I'll pass on this
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Never thought less about buying a knife than i did about this before ordering. Hope customs lets her through, ive been jonesing for a native to beat on lately, never trued xhp either, what a lil out of the blue treat!
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
M2P

Post by M2P »

Thank you Clip for your thread, without it, I would have missed a new of my favorite Spydie ! Ordered ;)
Plain Edge Friendly !
Favorite ones : 1- Native (+ Poliwog) 2- C42 H.Viele 3- J.S.Khalsa & Dragonfly
~~ Looking for Native 5 FRN Brown Operation Inherent Resolve
C41BN5
~~
Clip

Post by Clip »

:) I went ahead and placed an order last night. Never tried a LW before and couldn't pass up the price.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I wish I could afford to swing this, but my knife buying for this year is done :( Maybe for Christmas if I'm lucky, as I too want to try XHP.
Clip wrote: :) I went ahead and placed an order last night. Never tried a LW before and couldn't pass up the price.
Take it from me...it's my most heavily used knife, and completely shrugged off a 275' fall onto gravel. It's scraped gaskets off of metal, cut more 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8" rope than anyone could shake a stick at, cut plastic jacket off a lot of coaxial cables, and to top it off it wandered unknowingly into my dad's pocket for about 6 months and his sharpener sharpens curved angles (Two moving/interlocking grinding wheels...it's cheap and ****ty, and will take me quite a while to get the edge flat again but oh well). This knife just keeps going, and for the price of a Native LW...it's a hard design to beat in S30V...XHP should be really awesome (And the brown handle looks good too).
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
Niles

Post by Niles »

I'm surprised there's not more buzz about this one. I picked up two. Great steel in a great knife!
Do no harm. Do know harm.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this one. I used to like the Native lightweight. I haven't carried this version of the Native for years. XHP and S30V rate about the same on wear resistance.

The fact that it hasn't switched to screw construction and the only real change is a little extra toughness in the steel and the color of the scales... Makes it tough for me to go out of my way for this.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I agree with you Donut! The native series should have the thin steel liners of the delica/endura/stretch and the screw-type construction that goes along with it! But then you would have to classify it as a middleweight! But this is a dealer exclusive, adding to the collectability! :)
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

A one piece FRN handle and pinned construction is lighter, and simpler.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I received mine today. Has good fit & finish, good blade grind, very sharp. Haven't cut much with it yet.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

FCM415 wrote:They picked one with the backlock-switch protruding to shoot. I'm a stickler for flush lockswitches! Just saying.
So what. The FRN Natives are rock solid regardless whether they have a slightly protruding lock. The knife is one of the best values in the Spyderco line and a great performer.
sinkerslider

Post by sinkerslider »

eric m. wrote:I agree with you Donut! The native series should have the thin steel liners of the delica/endura/stretch and the screw-type construction that goes along with it! But then you would have to classify it as a middleweight! But this is a dealer exclusive, adding to the collectability! :)
The FRN Native is just fine as is. Doesn't need any of the things you listed.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

3rdGenRigger wrote:A one piece FRN handle and pinned construction is lighter, and simpler.
Not to mention quite durable over time.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Just something "NEW" to consider. A Native middleweight between the lightweight and Native 5! :p
Donut

Post by Donut »

eric m. wrote:Just something "NEW" to consider. A Native middleweight between the lightweight and Native 5! :p
If you haven't seen the long discussion, they are working on a Native 5 lightweight.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ightweight
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Yeah, been to that thread! I didn't see anything on there about the characteristics I mentioned, ie.(steel liners like delica/endura'stretch, or screw-type construction). :(
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

As a pure guess, I would think it would have steel liners, and possibly screw construction as well. Otherwise it'd basically be a Native 1, but that is just guessing.