Ever thought of a Strider/Spyderco collab model?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cr123

count me in for 2

Post by cr123 »

i'd be down to get at least two, one to use and another to give to a good friend. gotta spread the knife love around, especially for US based companies.
jhb

Post by jhb »

Forgive me for being dense,but couldnt Sal design a folder in the vein of a strider on his own? Meaning what advantage would a collaboration bring to spyderco as a company? It's not like spyderco doesn't already have a awesome brand name on its own that will sell knives.

Now if this idea of a collaboration is just to have the two names brought together, for fans of both brands? Okay I can get that. For myself id prefer a heavy duty larger folder that is all spyderco, but that's me.
jossta

Post by jossta »

I think it will probably do more for Strider lovers than Spydie lovers. I'm pretty sure a Spyderco version of an SMF is not going to be $400.

I may also get Spyderco some new business from Strider fans that wouldn't otherwise buy them.

Also, a collaboration is mutually beneficial, whereas creating a Strider inspired Spyderco without acknowledging it's roots is more like copying and not Spyderco's style.

Edit: Count me in. Very excited about this. I used to be bothered by their checkered past, but I think they've been doing right by enough people since then to more than make up for it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I always found Striders hideous (never knew anything about the owner until recently). But after finally handling some at a gun show, I found them to be more comfortable than expected. I'm still not planning to get a Strider anytime soon, mainly because of the price. I just don't see what makes a Strider cost as much as a CRK. But a Spyderco collaboration might be interesting.
:bug-red-white
jhb

Post by jhb »

jossta wrote:I think it will probably do more for Strider lovers than Spydie lovers. I'm pretty sure a Spyderco version of an SMF is not going to be $400.

I may also get Spyderco some new business from Strider fans that wouldn't otherwise buy them.

Also, a collaboration is mutually beneficial, whereas creating a Strider inspired Spyderco without acknowledging it's roots is more like copying and not Spyderco's style.

Edit: Count me in. Very excited about this. I used to be bothered by their checkered past, but I think they've been doing right by enough people since then to more than make up for it.
Ahhh, gotcha. Thank you Sir for the insight or the obvious I was missing.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Trying to impose our wishes on two companies is as futile as picking the family you are born into. You have no control over the outcome.

Until either goes public and you own a substantial number of shares I would just choose to buy or pass...plenty of knives out there ;) . If neither are concerned about what it might do to their company image neither should we.
unit

Post by unit »

Blerv wrote:Trying to impose our wishes on two companies is as futile as picking the family you are born into. You have no control over the outcome.

Until either goes public and you own a substantial number of shares I would just choose to buy or pass...plenty of knives out there ;) . If neither are concerned about what it might do to their company image neither should we.
ya' know....if I really wanted a Strider, it would be a lot cheaper to simply buy one than to buy up a bunch of shares of the companies and try to impress my will on their practices....and inevitably cause the value of said shares to plummet :D

I really do not want to reopen this can, but someone already did I guess.

Looking at the Strider...It has a RIL (that is not Strider or Spyderco...so that is not a defining characteristic), it has Ti/G-10 which is also available on a few Spydercos already (so once again, not a defining characteristic), I see various blade steels and grinds (again not a defining characteristic to my eye), I see a stop pin located on the blade (not unique to either company, nor was the idea invented by either company to my knowledge), I see an opening hole that I suppose could be made rounder like Spyderco :cool:

So what exactly would this Striderco embody that would make it a collaboration that would rise above anything that anyone else is already making? Honestly, if the want is a less expensive Strider, buy a Buck Strider. OTOH if you want a tougher Spyderco, hold on to your seat because there are some new offerings coming up that look pretty stout.

Sorry if that seems like a rant...it is not intended that way. I just do not "get" this concept.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

thats exactly the point! If both companies are this badass on their own already, can you imagine what they could be capable of if they were to work together on a few models?! :D

Any more info on this "talking with Mick" that you mentioned to us Sal? :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

spyderHS08 wrote:thats exactly the point! If both companies are this badass on their own already, can you imagine what they could be capable of if they were to work together on a few models?! :D

Any more info on this "talking with Mick" that you mentioned to us Sal? :)
I don't want to be negative... but it seems to me that opinions regarding the "badass"ness of one of these two companies are pretty divergent. Even to the extent that there is a portion of the target market (well, there's me... anyway, I'm a portion :p ) that will not, upon threat of incarceration or painful death, give away any money if even the tiniest amount of it will line Burger/Striders' pockets. Since the complaint that I/we have is based on principle... it wouldn't matter if the knife was better than the sum of its parts, I/we still wouldn't buy it. The less extreme portion of my end of the market just thinks Strider knives aren't real special... so if the Striderco resembled a Strider too much... they probably won't buy it either.

All joking aside, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Perception matters, is what I'm saying. People perceive that Spyderco is a good company run by good people (because it is). Whether my opinions and those who share them with me about Strider Knives are off base (which they aren't) or out of line (too philosophical a question for me to answer for everyone :p ), we perceive that the company is run by a dishonest man. A partnership between the two companies can only do bad things for Spyderco IMHO, and good things for Strider. It could be that I am projecting my opinions onto the rest of the world, but I firmly believe that were such a knife to be produced... it would not sell well. I see a lot of these gathering dust on shelves and in sale bins.

That said, it's Sal's company... not mine. I didn't put in the years of building a successful cutlery business that he did to earn the right to run said business any way he **** well sees fit (regardless of what anonymous, small minded, loud mouths on the internet like myself seem to think about it :p ). If he thinks Mick is a nice guy with something to offer Spyderco, I defer to his judgement.

PS... I am gonna try really, really hard to keep all future opinions like this to myself... I promise. I don't promise it'll work, since this subject has magical powers that make it impossible for me to keep my yap shut... but I'm really gonna give it the ole' college try this time :D .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
angusW

Post by angusW »

It may seem like a wedding of the two companies for a collaboration would result in the ultimate knife but I think it would be more like an all-star game. The best hitters and pitchers put together on one team does not necessarily make for an exciting game. Strider does their thing well and Spyderco does their thing well. They don't need each other.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You never know. The Stryker wasn't my fave ;) .
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Have we heard anymore on this.....? Sal, kristi? Anybody :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!