Byrd vs Rescue or Rescue assist

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Nyfeguy

Byrd vs Rescue or Rescue assist

Post by Nyfeguy »

I see that spydercos value priced Byrd line has some decent rescue inspired folders. Does anybody have experience with these? Should I consider one or would you recommend I stick to the actual rescue line? I am basically looking for a medium duty knife to go in a bag for road travel and all around utility use. Thanks for your input!
M80

Post by M80 »

I would personally go with the assist.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I have always experienced great performance from the Rescue in VG-10. It is a great value folder in the regular line. The newest Rescue 3 has a great concoction of features evolved from years of CQI. If you want something to throw in a bag for a once in a blue moon occasion, the lower price point of the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue should serve you very well.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Byrd will do 90% the job. It's just a bit more pedestrian in F&F and design.

Spyderco is good like that. You never get shorted on a functional tool. It's just less...evolved, I guess.
Nyfeguy

Post by Nyfeguy »

Blerv wrote:The Byrd will do 90% the job. It's just a bit more pedestrian in F&F and design.

Spyderco is good like that. You never get shorted on a functional tool. It's just less...evolved, I guess.
Great point. Thank you for the advice!
Nyfeguy

Post by Nyfeguy »

xceptnl wrote:I have always experienced great performance from the Rescue in VG-10. It is a great value folder in the regular line. The newest Rescue 3 has a great concoction of features evolved from years of CQI. If you want something to throw in a bag for a once in a blue moon occasion, the lower price point of the Byrd Cara Cara Rescue should serve you very well.
Cara cara! I forgot all about that one! Thank you, I'll consider it.
Nyfeguy

Post by Nyfeguy »

M80 wrote:I would personally go with the assist.
Thank you for your advice
Rangerjoe

Post by Rangerjoe »

My opinion may be off due to my spyderco rescue being probably the first release. However I trust the byrd rescue's 100 percent. I work around and in moving water with ropes a lot. I used to think fixed blade was better in this situation however due to 1000's of draws my spyderco's now pretty much open when I pull them out no thought involved. I like all the rescue and assist knives in both lines. I would personally say you get 100 percent the function in the byrd line. Fit and finish of course is not the same but they open and cut in high stress situations such that I would have to look which one i used after the fact if someone asked. Consider the meadowlark rescue as well. I just bought one for my sister who riverboards for Christmas. Man was I impressed. The sheepsfoot makes the blade seem much larger than I thought it would be. I will be getting one myself soon!
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

I have a Byrd rescue and various spydercos. The spyderco knives are definitely superior. That said, the Byrd rescue is surprisingly good.
Brainsrob80

Re: Byrd vs Rescue or Rescue assist

Post by Brainsrob80 »

I have constantly encountered good overall performance in the Recovery throughout VG-10. It's a good importance folder from the normal collection. Up to date Recovery 3 features a good potion regarding capabilities progressed via years regarding CQI. If you would like a thing to help toss inside a tote to get a after inside a glowing blue moon celebration, the fewer cost in the Byrd Cara Cara Recovery need to last perfectly.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi NYfeguy, Brainsrob,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Titomake

Post by Titomake »

Hello.

I have a Cara Cara 2 Rescue and I consider it a very good serrated folder. I have not a Spyderco Rescue to compare with.

Though it is not an all around utility knife, I recommend you the Byrd Hawkbill. It's a really amazing knife.

Regards