Moon glow dragonfly

A place for you to post your pictures of Spyderco knives. Read Announcement before posting!
Cereal_killer

Moon glow dragonfly

Post by Cereal_killer »

Just about finished this up (I still have to flare the lanyard tube today) but I'm proud of it, my first time working with the material. This is a gift for a good friend ( who will probabily chime in).

Anyone else got a custom moon glow project they want to share?

Just to elaborate as to what's going on with the lanyard tube there and why it needs flared- the factory tube is held in by its ends being flared inside the G10 scales, to get it out it pretty much either has to destroy the scales or be drilled out so it doesn't, not wanting to damage the factory scales I drilled it out and have replaced it with a piece of Ti tubing that I flame anodized (to match the clip) and I'm going to install it with a flare tool the same as factory, that's why it's looking a little deformed ATM, I don't have the right size die till I get over to my buddies house.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Nice. Is it the real moonglow material?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BilMacGil

Post by BilMacGil »

It looks really cool,is it linerless?
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Yes it's legit moon glow, its made of a G10 dragonfly2 so it has liners, its all factory only the scales have been swapped for moon glow scales.

Thanks guys.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

That's really cool, Cereal. Nicely done!

How soft is the MG material that you used? The sheets I've had in the past have been fairly scratch-prone - but I've heard they vary all across the map depending on who you get it from.

TedP
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

I got mine from USAKM, its sold as real moon glow, not a generic house brand GitD acrylic like some places and I have no reason to doubt them, I've dealt with them many times.

It is rather scratch prone, and I almost did a matt finish to combat that but in the end I liked it shiney to much to sand it down, just have to live with any scratches. Have you heard if anyone's tried to polish scratches out of it? I have some scraps, maybe I'll try it.

Ted, if you'd like the scraps are to small to be useful, I'll send you a piece of it to test if your interested in using it.
Holland

Post by Holland »

looks awesome! very well done
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Great job. Can you post some other angles for us to drool over?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

I'm not good at pic's, I'm gonna wait till its back to its owner [Lionesser] who can take much better pic's than I...
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So cool! I want one. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Cereal_killer wrote:I got mine from USAKM, its sold as real moon glow, not a generic house brand GitD acrylic like some places and I have no reason to doubt them, I've dealt with them many times.

It is rather scratch prone, and I almost did a matt finish to combat that but in the end I liked it shiney to much to sand it down, just have to live with any scratches. Have you heard if anyone's tried to polish scratches out of it? I have some scraps, maybe I'll try it.

Ted, if you'd like the scraps are to small to be useful, I'll send you a piece of it to test if your interested in using it.
I get my stuff from USAKnifemaker as well and have had my eyes on Moonglow, but haven't ordered any yet. Maybe I'll toss some in with my next batch of items. I wish I could find a place that sold the blue Moonglow, as I have a specific project I want it for but I can't seem to find the blue version anymore. Fortunately, I think I can get away with using blue GITD paint, as the glowing part doesn't need to be structural.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

jabba359 wrote:I get my stuff from USAKnifemaker as well and have had my eyes on Moonglow, but haven't ordered any yet. Maybe I'll toss some in with my next batch of items. I wish I could find a place that sold the blue Moonglow, as I have a specific project I want it for but I can't seem to find the blue version anymore. Fortunately, I think I can get away with using blue GITD paint, as the glowing part doesn't need to be structural.
Good luck, I literally waited on the "email me when back in stock" list 2 months, when I got the email I placed an order within minutes and the very next day it was back out of stock...
BOOMER52

Post by BOOMER52 »

Nice job...!

When you flare that lanyard tube... be extra careful with the amount of circumfrential expansion you impose at that juncture of the moonglow! The acrylic is a homogenous plastic and WILL fracture easily if stressed at all. If you have any scrap you might find the limits your particular moonglow will accomodate before attempting it on that Dragonfly.