We need a Caly 3.75

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
paladin

Post by paladin »

why stop at 3.75"? let's live dangerously and ask for 3.98" ....I'm allowing .02 in case I have some envelope adhesive residue on the tip when I'm pulled over and the trooper checks my blade length with his micrometer :rolleyes: ...just a small attempt at humor, seriously I'm all in for any Caly incarnation...good thread
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
bh49

Post by bh49 »

paladin wrote:why stop at 3.75"? let's live dangerously and ask for 3.98" ....
Do you mean that you need Calypso with wire clip and no swedge on the blade? :) I would get this one too in G10/VG10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
paladin

Post by paladin »

bh49 wrote:Do you mean that you need Calypso with wire clip and no swedge on the blade? :) I would get this one too in G10/VG10.
yes this exactly...swedges look breezy, but they're not too practical
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

i would like to see some Cobalt steel from Spyderco and some Supergold Powder Steel as well....that would be awesome..:0
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Thanks for the picture. Very nice but see the huge jump in blade length from the Caly 3.5 to the Calypso. We need the 3.75 for the family to be complete.But try to retain the same ergos as the 3.5 as much as possible because whoever said the Calypso was too long and lean and loses some of that hit the nail right on the head.
Whoever said that must have small hands. The C54 Calypso is the only member of the family that sees regular pocket time with me.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RanCoWeAla,

Interesting suggestion. We've also been discussing a Caly 2.5 or 2.75 with no decisions. So let's open up the discussion to both additions, materials and definitive sizes.

sal
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Sal, if you went with a 2.5, it would fall very nicely in the "Gentleman's Folder" catagory. So I would use a premium scale material. I know that there have been issues with wood, but how about a polished micarta, something like the Phoenix had?
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
paladin

Post by paladin »

sal wrote:Hi RanCoWeAla,

Interesting suggestion. We've also been discussing a Caly 2.5 or 2.75 with no decisions. So let's open up the discussion to both additions, materials and definitive sizes.

sal
wonderful...vg10 is fine with me, s30v ok too...handle material: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE polished G10 or macro textured like the Zulu...Sal's keyboard is on fire this morning I think he's hit every post
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

sal
Thanks Sal for replying to this thread because you will just about never see the owner of a company reply to anything on said company's forum.
I would like to see a 3.75 done in a Titanium handled back lock since Titanium is usually reserved most often for frame locks .
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

speedcut wrote:i would like to see some Cobalt steel from Spyderco and some Supergold Powder Steel as well....that would be awesome..:0
Interesting that you mention Cobalt steel. I probably use my MT09 Cobalt Special Mule more than any others, I've been pretty happy with it. Granted it's not equal to my K390 Mule (which of course is fantastic) but the Cobalt Special seems very serviceable. And I have *zero* scientific tests to rank it :D .

I don't carry my Calypso sprint near as much as I carry my CF Caly 3.5, but I think that is because the CF combined with deep carry clip is *ideal* for carrying in-waistband for me, so I carry it nearly every day, whereas my back pocket has to share time rotating among other knives, Calypso-Military-PM2-Szabo etc. Too many knives, not enough pockets :) .

I'm sure I'll ending buying *any* length variation of Caly.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
phaust

Post by phaust »

RanCoWeAla wrote:Thanks Sal for replying to this thread because you will just about never see the owner of a company reply to anything on said company's forum.
I would like to see a 3.75 done in a Titanium handled back lock since Titanium is usually reserved most often for frame locks .
A possible problem with titanium in this case is it might require the handle thickness be bumped up a bit. If not, a titanium Caly would be awesome
bh49

Post by bh49 »

sal wrote:We've also been discussing a Caly 2.5 or 2.75 with no decisions.
sal
I certainly need both sizes.
2.5" sounds like reincarnation of Kopa. 2.75" will be even better for some occasion. Thin ground blades, 2mm thick will be real laser. Sprints of bolstered variants with smooth bone or wood will be great. CF "Dodo style" will be very good too.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Any chance of using CTek as a handle material? Looks pretty cool, and more unique than G10 (personally, I'm finding G10 and plastics a little boring now.) There've been reports of fragility along the edges of the cells of the material though.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

The way I see it is the 3 is as small as I would carry. The 3.5 is **** near perfection. There are times, mostly weekends, when I prefer an Endura for the increase in tasks I will be doing, i.e. grilling, yard work, home improvements. The 3.5 is honestly capable of all of this, but the Superblue E4 hooked me and now I am digging the bigger blade. The Calypso sprint IS too big for me and my biz casual work environment. If I was allowed only 1 knife for the rest of time, the 3.5 is a no brainer for me and as we all know...a little more of a good thing is worth finding out if it is better.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

A Kopa Caly? Intriguing :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:A Kopa Caly? Intriguing :)
Will be nice, especially in Damascus/bostered scales variant.

D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

To be honest, I'm not sure I need a Caly that is 3.75 or larger. The 3.5 seems to fit that niche nicely for me.

A smaller Caly might be intriguing. Roman's idea of a 2.5 inch, 2mm or thinner blade sounds like a recipe for a very nice gentleman's folder. I'd love to see that in VG10 and olive wood, with a wire clip. ;)
Donut

Post by Donut »

I prefer the 3 over the 3.5, but I would get one 3.75 for the novelty.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the 3.5, and wish I hadn't modded my 3 (worst mistake ever :( ), so I think both sound interesting, but I'd be more interested in a Caly 3 sprint with a stainless steel and G10 handle. I think brown would go with the Caly's grace and beauty.
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal
At 2.75", I think you would be very close to the Chaparral which is just about perfect. Would the smaller sizes use a thinner steel(2 or 2.5mm)? At 2.5" you would be in the Cat size range which is a nice knife as well. It would basically be a locking Urban which would be great.

I would really like to see Spyderco play with machined or textured G-10. Kershaw has been producing some very interesting handles in the last few years.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal