40+ bucks for a ladybug ZDP....worth it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

40+ bucks for a ladybug ZDP....worth it?

Post by suedeface »

First off, I bought this knife because I had a few extra bucks and wanted a mini pocket knife for my new life here in suburbia (moved from the country). Now, the standard VG-10 model would have served me well, but I decided to go above and beyond for once and get the more expensive model with "better" steel. I have yet to get a blade in ZDP-189 and the ladybug was the cheapest model to try this steel in....at least that was my rationale when i bought this knife. So what I want to know is...is the ZDP model worth the extra $$$? It seems I am more open to buying knives in better, harder, more wear resistant steel now that I have and edge-pro system.

My main concerns are edge toughness, corrosion resistance and the ability to sharpen this little blade on my edge-pro. I have heard that this steel is extremely brittle. Some make it seem like it is a ceramic blade, but I think that is an exaggeration from what I see in the chemical breakdown and final hardness stats. I am also interested in the edge failing due to micro chipping vs. edge rolling/deformation. Any extra info on this would be great. What is a good compromise for this steel as far as sharpening angle goes? I usually use a straight up 40Deg on all my knives. I guess corrosion resistance isn't a big deal as I have a few tuff-cloths, but Is ZDP actually considered a stainless steel? From what I read it is like a D2 steel, not actually stainless, but very close due to the amount of certain elements in the steel.

Well that's all for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but if anyone can give me any more info or experiences with this steel it would be apppreciated.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

Forgot to ask..what is the RC range on Spyderco's ZDP-189? I thought I read about 64.5-65 RC, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
TheChunk91

Post by TheChunk91 »

ZDP-189 is good for me, its excellent at edge retention and ive never had any rust problems, it doesnt seem too brittle either, I did get a small chip on my stretch but I dropped the knife open onto the asphalt, man did I cringe it was brand new :( but thats expected of most any steel. Id say the zdp ladybug is woth the money but the zdp manbug is more worth the money, its beefier and thicker but in a good way that makes it way more useable, I carry one 90% of the time as my 2nd or 3rd knife and its always up to the task, never any problems.
Invective

Post by Invective »

suedeface wrote: My main concerns are edge toughness, corrosion resistance and the ability to sharpen this little blade on my edge-pro.
I'm probably more qualified than most to talk about toughness of a ZDP Ladybug, because I was drunk one night and decided I wanted to punch it through an old paintcan. It got through all right. There was slight chipping issues, which to be honest I expected but nothing 5 minutes on diamond stones won't fix. This was with a 26 inclusive edge with a 30 microbevel, and with 2mm stock, it definitely isn't a beefy knife. Overall, it held up much better than I expected, although that same night I hammered an ESEE Izula through a penny and the tip was fine.

Corrosion resistance, I think you would do better with VG-10 though. I keep my Ladybug/Jester in my pocket and do see some surface rust on the ZDP Ladybug. Easily wipes off with toothpaste but it can grow if you don't catch it quickly (I acid etched my LB to give it a darker profile so I miss it sometimes). My Jester though, has been forgotten in my pocket many times and only once gotten rust. The blade wiped off easily enough with some elbow grease and 1500 grit sandpaper. Also some on the stainless lockbar and hardware. Dunno how that rusted and not the blade but I sent it in and Spyderco cleaned up the insides with no problem. The VG-10 was fine though from what I remember.

Can't speak as to the sharpening ease on Edge Pro, I use a Sharpmaker and it is great for the small blades.

No matter which one you get though, I am sure you won't be disappointed!