another day hike: axe chop-off.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

The Spyderco logo isn't visible in those two pictures.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Janfrederik wrote:The Spyderco logo isn't visible in those two pictures.
It's on the other side of the blade.
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Wow sorry just realized that what I thought to be bugged pictogram were on the real knife. **** I think I gave a ****load to a local seller and I was wrong!

The first time I saw the logo I'm talking about is there,on second picture :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spyderco ... 46540.html

Seeing the price I knew it was fake and thought this logo was a common mistake when copying spydies and used it as a reference :S
If it's not polished, call it a saw, not an edge!
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Laethageal wrote:Hey sorry to jump in the thread like this, but the knife in the first few pictures seems to be a copy isn't it? I've seen a few with the spyderco logo messed up like that selling on ebay and passing on them in fear of being copies.
jalcon wrote:It's on the other side of the blade.
Jalcon: Exactly, I'm figuring he's mistaking Sal's signature for the Spyderco logo. I could be wrong, but I don't see what else he could be talking about.
jalcon wrote:404
http://i.imgur.com/ky2DKyH.jpg
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Yup exactly
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Laethageal wrote:That's the 2 picture I'm talking about.
That is a normal PM2, Spyderco logo is on the other side. The 2 logos one the side that are visible are Sal's and Eric's symbols
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

Laethageal wrote:Wow sorry just realized that what I thought to be bugged pictogram were on the real knife. **** I think I gave a ****load to a local seller and I was wrong!

The first time I saw the logo I'm talking about is there,on second picture :
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spyderco ... 46540.html

Seeing the price I knew it was fake and thought this logo was a common mistake when copying spydies and used it as a reference :S
Hey, no worries man.
But yeah, that's Sal's signature. On the other side of the Spydie hole is Eric's.
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Janfrederik wrote:Jalcon: Exactly, I'm figuring he's mistaking Sal's signature for the Spyderco logo. I could be wrong, but I don't see what else he could be talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/ky2DKyH.jpg

right right right
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

sal wrote:Hey JV3,

Great pics. the engineering on the nests is also special. Do you know what the two hatchets weigh?

sal
The Model 420 Small Forest Axe weighs 2lbs. 1 oz. (Head Weighs 1lb. 6 oz.)

The Model 418 Hunter's Axe weighs 1lb. 14 oz. (Head Weighs 1lb. 3 oz.)
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Laethageal,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Laethageal

Post by Laethageal »

Thanks you Sal! I feel privileged to be welcomed by you!

I'm sorry about the false alarm, as much as I read about different steel, blade geometry and some sharpening tips on this forum, I never really spent time looking at stock pictures. I also want to tell you how much I love your product and company. Since I bought my first spydies 2 years ago, I've became a knife addict... No, not a knife addict, a Spyderco addict! I realized the knifes I used to buy at Canadian Tire or general store really stinks in blade quality, ergonomics and design. I saw some competition knifes and tested 2-3 but none gave me the same feeling as a Spyderco in the same price range.

Laethageal
filedog

Post by filedog »

Great pics, thanks for putting that together. Here's a couple shots of my "SFA". I rehung a Hults-Bruks head of the same weight on a new GB haft, and made a mask for it.
Attachments
IMG_1729.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG
JV3

Post by JV3 »

willydigger wrote:What an awesome thread! Thanks for the effort. I feel like I just spent that last couple minutes camping! :D
thanks! haha, i look at my own pics sometimes when i can't go hike and feel like i'm back there again too :)

sal wrote:Thanx much JV3.

sal
you're welcome, sal.

JNewell wrote:Wonderful post and pics, thank you! And yes, I agree, there are a few things that axes do superbly but for most tasks there are better tools. :)
thanks!

jalcon wrote:That first bird looks to be a thrush possibly..
thanks! never heard of that type of bird before...we did an overnighter on the same location last weekend and we didn't see any of them anymore.

defenestrate wrote:I'm leaning toward American Robin for #2 bird.

Which is a true thrush.

According to Wikipedia.

Probably all standard American Robins.

(didn't realize Robin was part of the thrush family - I know some birds but I'm far from a bird fancier or ornithologist - just seen some robins here in NC and VA.)
thanks for the bird id!

Holland wrote:awesome post and pictures! love threads like this, thanks for sharing
thanks, holland!

Laethageal wrote:Hey sorry to jump in the thread like this, but the knife in the first few pictures seems to be a copy isn't it? I've seen a few with the spyderco logo messed up like that selling on ebay and passing on them in fear of being copies.
no worries...i bought it from knifeworks - one of the most reputable shops around here.

kbuzbee wrote:I completely agree. I grew up with it as "tulip" Never heard yellow poplar until a dendrology class in college. OTOH, my wife, who lived only 10 miles from here always called their Magnolia tree a tulip, so tulip may be a locales term that varies? Dunno...

Those yellow polars are very prolific. The seeds "helicopter" like maple seeds but they are kind of barbed and really dig into the soil. I have to clear out about 100 of each from our back wood lot every year... Ugh! ;)

Ken
thanks for the id, ken. i went back there last weekend for an overnighter and didn't see any dead branches to try friction fire but i'm keeping my eyes on it :)

the maples and oaks have been good at crowding that tulip tree though since i looked around some more and haven't found another one in the area.

rodloos wrote:Great post again JV! Beautiful colors. I know you love getting out there when the weather turns cold :) .

I just got my GB SFA in last week, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Nice to see your comparison.
thanks, rodloos! definitely, i'm looking forward to more overnighters in the coming months but i draw the line at only day hiking when it's single digits though, haha.

checkout the wildlife hatchet too if you're concerned about the weight of the sfa on day hikes and the likes...for it's lightweight it's surprisingly a powerful chopper too.

filedog wrote:Great pics, thanks for putting that together. Here's a couple shots of my "SFA". I rehung a Hults-Bruks head of the same weight on a new GB haft, and made a mask for it.
thanks! good job on that axe and that mask looks like a pro made it :)