Native Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Post by Holland »

this model is getting me extremely excited. im definitely going to have to collect every variant of it, probably wont go as over board as i did with the para2 though :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I am tempted (by the Native 5)...bought the 2013 forum version just for the steel, was so impressed I just bought a plain black S35VN...have the CF/S110V on pre-order and am tempted by the fluted titanium, just to satisfy the collector gene. ;) :spyder:
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I'll certainly get one. Been hoping for this for a while.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

This sounds like the perfect knife! I love my current Native lightweight is S30V, but would love to have this is FFG! The knife just fits my hand like no other!
Bring it on!
sal

Post by sal »

It's full flat with a slight spine swedge.

sal
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

Everything about it sounds wonderful. Another reason to remain solidly in the Spyderco camp!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

D1omedes wrote:+1
I'll definitely be planning on acquiring Native 5 Lightweights that display XHP, 20CP, 204P, S90V, etc. Though I'll still be wishing for a wire clip. :p
Of cause. All these steels plus few others like CTS-B75P, K390 and Damascus with smooth bone scales :)
BTW, how is you g10 Navive5 doing? how does it feels in your hand? I wish wire clip too, may be will happen with Shaman.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

sal wrote:It's full flat with a slight spine swedge.

sal
Sounds great! Any pics floating around somewhere? I can't find any, but some of your guys can do miracles!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I'll be buying a few more copies of the current Native FRN in CPM-S30V as I like FRN much better than the FRCP. No need for transparency to be "cool". FRN does the job and kicks butt.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Bigwill857

Post by Bigwill857 »

I will say the best return on investment I have ever made on a knife was a spyderco native. I love the blade shape. Just wish it was bigger. I think a gentleman native in carbon fiber....i think one is coming around??...would be cool. I own the plain model with the satin blade s30v and it cut through everything. Even things I didn't think it would take it did it. I even lent it to guys to cut stuff with and all they said is oh I have to get one. I have been rocking the serrated one I got in a raffle? From sal? In my duty uniform. Fits my hand like a glove. Even with gloves on. Oh and it's jump compatible...meaning it won't come open...detent works.
:spyder:

WANTED: Spyderco Native XL with olive drab FRN! :D
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Bigwill857 wrote:I will say the best return on investment I have ever made on a knife was a spyderco native. I love the blade shape. Just wish it was bigger. I think a gentleman native in carbon fiber....i think one is coming around??...would be cool. I own the plain model with the satin blade s30v and it cut through everything. Even things I didn't think it would take it did it. I even lent it to guys to cut stuff with and all they said is oh I have to get one. I have been rocking the serrated one I got in a raffle? From sal? In my duty uniform. Fits my hand like a glove. Even with gloves on. Oh and it's jump compatible...meaning it won't come open...detent works.
Yes, sure enough there's a gentleman's Native 5 coming out soon (?) in peel ply CF and a S110V blade like this year's forum knife. There are also discussions of larger versions around (the Shaman that Roman referred to above and the Chief). Here's a link to a thread where Sal mentions them:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/archive/ ... 56697.html

Good stuff!! Excited for all these new N5 and larger versions, it's a great Spyderco design!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bigwill,

Thanx for your service.

sal
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

I have a new native 5 in frn with the boyd detent. How much lighter is the frcp version? I don't think you will even notice the difference! Now the different handle colors, matched with different blade steels.......I can feel Sal's hand on my wallet already! Ha,Ha,Ha! I absolutely love the native platform. For me it will spell death for the delica4!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

No Native 5 lightweight in either FRN or FRCP yet, you have an earlier generation model if you have one in FRN. That's what all the excitement is about - the eventual evolution of this generation's form factor from linered G10, titanium, etc. Also not sure if any have the Boye dent (I have gen 2, 4, and 5, none have dent)...

I see you feel the grasp of Sal's clutches on your wallet too! ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
araneae

Post by araneae »

Sal any hints on initially available steels? Will there be a standard steel? Maybe Carpenter CTS-BD1 as an entry level as with the Manix FRCP? S30V?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Is this thing going to be FRN or FRCP?
- best wishes, Jazz.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Jazz wrote:Is this thing going to be FRN or FRCP?
This:
sal wrote:It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

FRCP doesn't have to be translucent. It can be a solid color. It's just a stronger polymer.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I thought FRN was tougher. I've never heard of it chipping, but have with FRCP.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

Jazz wrote:I thought FRN was tougher. I've never heard of it chipping, but have with FRCP.
Hi Jazz,

Have you experienced chipping with FRCP?

sal