Sage 1 = Perfection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

testosterone325 wrote:My Sage 2 lock bar is ridiculously tight and it puts so much pressure against the tang that it actually somewhat slows down the blade while deploying. I need both hands to disengage the lock bar because its so darn stiff. Over extending the lock bar is nearly impossible without using a pry bar.
It's possible this is a defect. I had to return a Leaf Storm once that had a crazy tight lock bar, I too had to use both hands to disengage it and Spyderco determined it was a manufacture defect and since they no longer made the Leaf Storm they let me pick out another knife, I chose Caly 3 Zdp-189. I am very, very sad to lose my Leaf Storm but Caly is very nice as well.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
testosterone325

Post by testosterone325 »

VeloWeave wrote:It's possible this is a defect. I had to return a Leaf Storm once that had a crazy tight lock bar, I too had to use both hands to disengage it and Spyderco determined it was a manufacture defect and since they no longer made the Leaf Storm they let me pick out another knife, I chose Caly 3 Zdp-189. I am very, very sad to lose my Leaf Storm but Caly is very nice as well.
I'll give spyderco a call a see what they say. It's definitely tighter than I would like. Love the knife and it depots great but there's a significant between my Sage 2 lock at and my other frame lock/RIL knives. It's by no means unusable both I would like to be able to close the knife one handed.
Favourite Spyderco Knives: Sage 1 and 2!!! Paramilitary 2, Manix 2
Spyderco Wishlist: Gayle Bradley, CF Caly 3.5, M390 Military or Paramilitary 2
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Right now my Caly 3.5 gets more carry time than all others, followed by the Sage 1. Both great knives. If I could just figure a way to work less, my Para 2 would be more in the mix. Before I got my 3.5, the Sage 1 lived in my pocket.....except weekends and time off.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im with jack on this one, sage one did not fit my hand at all.had some other f&f preference issues with it, but it seemed ok. The sage 4 really impresses me mind you, it would seem the sages all have slightly different ergos. The three felt good, with a wider handle the sage works for me, ymmv.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

testosterone325 wrote:I would like to be able to close the knife one handed.
Something definitely wrong if you can't close it one-handed. I would not own a knife like that, must be one-hand operable for me.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm a huge fan of the Sage line and carry the 1, 2, and 3 frequently. The ergonomics are what do it for me. They are among the best of any folding pocketknife ever.

As much as I love the Sage line, I'm not a fan of the Sage 4. It just seems too heavy and bulky for my needs. Good knife - just not for me. In fact, when it came out, I made a graph outlining what would happen if Spyderco kept on the current trend of making each Sage heavier and bulkier. By the time Sal gets to the Sage 8 or 9, they will weigh as much as the LionSpy. :eek:

Seriously - has anyone mentioned the launch date or configuration of the Sage 5?

TedP

Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

phillipsted wrote:
Seriously - has anyone mentioned the launch date or configuration of the Sage 5?
I've heard nothing yet, but seeing how your chart looks like the US national debt, maybe Sal will release a new sage for every new trillion we owe.
testosterone325

bdblue wrote:Something definitely wrong if you can't close it one-handed. I would not own a knife like that, must be one-hand operable for me.
After opening and closing it a few hundred time more or less, it's getting much easier to close. The blade is also deploying a lot faster. In fact it opens quicker than my Sage 1. However it is still harder to close than I would like. My thumb is pretty **** sore from closing it. I am hoping it continues to break in/improve. If not, I will give spyderco a call and see what they say. I might end up sending it in for inspection. I really don't want to because I love the knife so darn much and don't want to be without it for a few weeks!
chipdouglas

Post by chipdouglas »

I had the opportunity to get the Sage 3 but it's not the same at all. The ergos are way different and so is the blade.
The only Sage I had was the 3 and I expected the blade tip to be sharper...long story short I was disappointed and retured it. Would you say the Sage 1 has a sharper/pointier blade tip ? If so, then it might be what I need. I thought the blade shape was the same on all three sage knives.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

congrats, enjoy, and welcome.

I've said that if a person could only have ONE Spyderco, the Sage 1 would be a worthy candidate.

I have all the Sage models. The Sage 3 is my least favorite. I think the 1 is my favorite with the 2 as a close second. The 4 is simply very pretty.

The Domino is my newest Spydie, and I think it could knock off the Sage 1 in the category, "if you could only have one."

Watch out, though... it's addictive! Ask me how I know!
testosterone325

chipdouglas wrote:The only Sage I had was the 3 and I expected the blade tip to be sharper...long story short I was disappointed and retured it. Would you say the Sage 1 has a sharper/pointier blade tip ? If so, then it might be what I need. I thought the blade shape was the same on all three sage knives.
The Sage 1 and 2 both have ridiculously sharp tips. However there are not as delicate as a PM2 or something like that. The Sage 3 (the one I played with) had a slightly different blade shape. The Taichung stamp was also in a different spot on the blade. It's not different enough that you could see the difference at first glance. You really have to examine closely. But the moment I picked it up I could tell by the way felt and looked I'm my hand. It almost has a slight recurve towards the back but it's ever so slightly. Even in pictures when the Sage 1 and/or 2 is right beside the 3 you can kind of see it. But you honestly can't tell until you hold the knife to see what I mean.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The 1st is the best!
The 2nd is great!
The 3rd I just cannot get friendly with.
The 4th, didn't buy. The specs showed = Too thick Too heavy Too much bolster... also getting too many CPM S30V knives lately.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Holland

Post by Holland »

Foghorne wrote:I've heard nothing yet, but seeing how your chart looks like the US national debt, maybe Sal will release a new sage for every new trillion we owe.
Hahah!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE