FB14P3 – Swick3 Wharncliffe - Release Info

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Got my two ordered. Had to call it in as I wanted an extra clip to get me into the free shipping range. Picked up a dark chrome clip to swap onto either my Forum Native 5 or my blue PM2. John helped me get my order in and it was quick and easy.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
M80

Post by M80 »

I ordered two not a fixed blade guy but i might like them :D does anyone know how many were made in this run ?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

M80 wrote:I ordered two not a fixed blade guy but i might like them :D does anyone know how many were made in this run ?
About 500
sal wrote:The Swick concept began with the original Spot model. We wanted to try to develop the Perrin index finger hole idea, but with more purchase for greater control of the blade. Each version is, we feel, an incremental improvement over the earlier models. Input coming from you and from our own use.

This time we decided to make a warn cliff run and a leaf run, about 500 of each. Since they're experimental in nature, we're not making sheaths or scales. They are squeezed into production as it is. This way you can get the set up that serves you best.

sal
-Kyle

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Does it seem like there is a lack of interest in the Swick? I thought the thread was quiet just so people wouldn't bring attention to it making their chances of getting one even slimmer. I guess not.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Wharnies may be less popular? I ordered about an hour ago and already have a shipping confirmation - which also suggests that SFO didn't get buried in orders for this.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I think sales may be slow because:

* It's not a new knife. It looks to be pretty much the same ol' Swick with the addition of a couple holes for easier mounting of scales.
* S30V isn't new and exciting, so people probably aren't buying it for the steel.
* As JNewell points out, the blade shape likely has a smaller fan base then a more traditional blade shape.
* A run of 500 doesn't necessarily make it super limited, as Spyderco reserves the option to produce more (lowering the collector value of those destined to be safe queens).
-Kyle

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That makes sense. Thanks guys. The wharnie blade is the only one that interests me!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I have never used s30v. I just started collecting spydercos 2 years ago. I've never used a wharnie before. This knife excites me a lot I just need to figure out handle sheath options now, someone hit me up.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hi everyone. Sal asked that we post an image for you. Here's a couple of quick and dirty shots of the latest Swick taken at the office this morning. You can also view the product page with image here, http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=844.
Attachments
Swick2.jpg
Swick1.jpg
There is nothing more important than this one day.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Oh my kristi would you like to include that sheath with my order haha jk. That's a beauty thanks for pictures.
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Got 1 coming!! Pin too!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Invective

Post by Invective »

Well, I'd been debating all day and couldn't pass a new wharnie up. Got 2 on the way to me!
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Wow...that kydex looks great, i assume from sheathpro. if anyone gets a sheath please post pics/ contact info. I still need one for my mt17 with halpern Scales.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Love that sheath. Is that Sheathpros work mentioned earlier?
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I got one ordered...when is the leaf bladed one coming?
On the hunt for...
Lobo.joe

Post by Lobo.joe »

I got my two coming now too. Gonna try to make some handles. Will post photos as work progresses. Thanks Spyderco.
Lobo.joe

:spyder: Manix 2, native, native 5, dragonfly g10, sage 2, sage 4, delica, endura, caly 3 Damascus, caly 3.5, nearly all para 2, CF military, techno, superleaf, tenacious
sal

Post by sal »

jabba359 wrote:I think sales may be slow because:

* It's not a new knife. It looks to be pretty much the same ol' Swick with the addition of a couple holes for easier mounting of scales.
* S30V isn't new and exciting, so people probably aren't buying it for the steel.
* As JNewell points out, the blade shape likely has a smaller fan base then a more traditional blade shape.
* A run of 500 doesn't necessarily make it super limited, as Spyderco reserves the option to produce more (lowering the collector value of those destined to be safe queens).
Thanx for the pics Kristi.

Hi Jabba,

1) I think the largest modification was enlarging the finger hole so one could get their finger all the way into the hole, or use gloves. This was one of the suggestions for improvement made on the last run. Obviously changing the hole size changes the area around the hole, which is designed to also be used to hold the blade. Though it looks the same, time to make the changes was more than is obvious. protos, etc.

2) S30v was selected because it will deliver good strength and edge retention. This is a serious knife for use.

3) The Warnie is often selected as the bst blade shape for self defense. Michael Janich for one, promotes its use as an effective cutter.

4) 500 is a good number for us. It's large enough for good feedback and small enough that we don't bother dealers with it. It gives us a good opportunity to continue to develop the model concept. We really don't think of this as a "safew queen". We want to create the most effective method to serve its function.

The sheath was designed and made by SheathPro. I wanted a sheath that I could drop in my pocket. I wanted a "Thumb Push Off" (TPO) so I can remove the sheath with no "big motion". It's also designed to accept a line for a neck carry.

sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

Thanks for the insight Sal! I just ordered mine about 5 minutes ago (got home a LOT later than I thought I would today), and was quite relieved to see it still in stock. I can't wait to get mine and put it to some use.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Sal, what about the leaf version 500? Any rough idea?
On the hunt for...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Thanks for the insight Sal! I wasn't trying to knock this knife at all, but was trying to offer some guesses at explanations for the perception that it isn't selling as fast as, say: the K390 Mule; a completely new model; or a sprint run that definitely won't get subsequent runs. I certainly don't think S30V is a slouch, I realize there are some minor improvements, and I certainly don't intend for mine to sit in a safe!

I noticed that in addition to the larger hole that you mentioned, the product page says the blade stock measures at 3.7mm. While not quite as thick as the 4mm stock used on the very first Swick, it's thicker than the 3mm on the subsequent runs. Any particular reason for this?

And as long as I'm asking questions, is there a reason that the ergonomic "improvement" of the Swick 2 (like the rounded choil on the bottom) was reverted back to the more angular version of the Swick1?
-Kyle