Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Divo

Post by Divo »

Thanks for your bunch of crap.

This is again the thing why I begin to hate forums like this. The large amount of low-level discussions.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Divo wrote:Thanks for your bunch of crap.

This is again the thing why I begin to hate forums like this. The large amount of low-level discussions.
How about this for a low level comment, that is not really very nice nor is it called for.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Definite case of the pot calling the kettle black. Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Discussion--
the action or process of talking about something, typically in order to reach a decision or to exchange ideas.

Argument--
an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Divo, so-called low level discussions like this one is one of the ways that the folks at Spyderco use to decide on changes for their models, and even to design entirely new models. From what I see here, everybody was politely expressing their views and ideas until your post. At least the folks at Spyderco actually LISTEN to the people who buy their products.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Tact...

synonyms/related--
considerateness, consideration, courteousness, courtesy, delicacy, graciousness, sensitivity, thoughtfulness; civility, etiquette, mannerliness, manners, politeness; charm, gallantry, gentility, grace, gracefulness, poise, savoir faire, suaveness, suavity; adroitness, deftness, dexterity, finesse; deference, regard, respect

antonyms--
discourteousness, discourtesy, impoliteness, inconsiderateness, inconsideration, indelicacy, thoughtlessness, ungraciousness; impoliteness, incivility; boorishness, brashness, brassiness, loutishness; awkwardness, gaucheness, gracelessness, maladroitness; disregard, disrespect, disrespectfulness, impertinence, impudence, insolence, rudeness
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I'm really not sure, but I think that the "Hump" on the spine might be the reason that I don't have even one Stretch as of yet. I have 11 Delica variants and 7 Endura's, and you would think that the stretch would fit right in with those two.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Oh the irony, you come out of the wood work to share your piece and I was simply responding to what I thought was off base that needed some clarification. You speak of "point of views", if you can only see that others may feel that your post was also a bunch of crap.

Life is too short to "hate" . Go walk it off, half a drink, count to ten. Whatever your Doc advises you to do when you spaz out. You can even have a hi-level conversation with yourself for all I care.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

This is definitely a YMMV thread....I'm actually not sure I like the Stretch handle at all.

For some reason I really like holding the Endura more than the Stretch. This seems like more an anatomically specific design, the stretch "could" be more ergonomic, if you hands happen to fit. As for the blade shape, that's actually why I purchased the knife, it seemed really interesting and I liked the belly. For my knife usages, more belly seems to fit. I would have no problem trading for another Endura though, I just like the longer cutting edge, and again the handle fits me just fine.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I am intrigued with Sal's proposal to add some new changes to the Stretch. I would appreciate a deeper choil. A change to the blade shape would be interesting but I do have a concern. A leaf shape would make the belly on the current model seem out of place. A true leaf-shaped blade with the Stretch's handle would be great but I would want it to keep the same blade thickness and distal taper. If Sal gave me that and a wire clip, I would order one. ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Divo,
Divo wrote: example 1:
When a knife comes close to other existing knives it will compete with that other knife and will influence the sales of that other knife.
So your win with sales with the new knife you more the less lose at the side of the other knife. In this case you eat your own bread.
Sometimes by offering similar models, one or the other is preferred, or a synthesis of the two emerges. We've been refining and evolving models for a long time and small changes often improve the design.
Divo wrote: In general. People buy a knife and choose between similar items.
When items are different enough there is more change that people buy more items.
Ofcourse the thing I mention here is not the only parameter involved.
Knife afi's are usually more involved that the "general" market and will take the discussion of "improvements" to a higher level discussing finer points.
Divo wrote: you can bring in others too. A manufacturer should weight them up to find the right way to go. As I bring in here Example 1, there are more Examples to come up with.
We are always open for discussion, that's why we ask the questions.
Divo wrote: People here on this forum are often looking too much from their own perspective and preferences. Personally I think that is not a good reference for the real world. In the real world most people buy a single knife or 1-3 (whatever) and dont buy 8 Paramilitaries or 4 Manix versions, 5 Delica's etc.
Most knife buyers in the "real" world are not as particular as many in the real knife afi world. We make many models for the real world and refinements based on the particular preferences of customers willing to share thought is valuable in planning models. Sometimes we honor their requests and sometimes we feel the preferences are too niche and the market too small. The dialogue is good.
Divo wrote: I also think Spyderco have already found a good working strategy for that in the form of Sprint runs. So they cover both markets (average customers and enthusiasts)
We also use variety within a model, often requests from forums.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Not much crap here and discussions are often very high level. Perhaps an apology might demonstrate your high level thinking? :D
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the great pics.

sal
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

OK, so a "Divo" is an Italian opera star, probably a hard to please individual I'm guessing.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

My first reaction to the Stretch was one of dislike. I thought the hump and blade shape were strange and had zero interest in buying one. But Paul (The Deacon) kept talking about how much he liked the knife. He just wouldn't stop going on and on. ;) So when the blue ZDP went on clearance, I decided to pick one up because I wanted to try out ZDP-189. Once I got it in hand I understood why Paul liked it so much. Over time, the hump and blade shape grew on me. Now I love how it doesn't look like everything else in the Spyderco catalog!

Knowing how the design initially turned me off, I think it's a good idea to maybe try an additional blade shape. Something that would appeal to a wider audience. I'd hate for people to miss out on this fantastic knife -something I almost did- because of the oddness of the blade.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Divo

Post by Divo »

sal wrote:Not much crap here and discussions are often very high level.
Cum grano salis.
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Non urinat in ventum. Dum excusare credis, accusas.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Dear Divo, I guess you may be older than me (I´m very young person), I guess you think very high of yourself (sometimes good if you have right to do so) BUT you are not older than Sal, not wiser than him and you present here yourself as reall ignorant person. Sometimes I´m ashamed people like you are part of old continent/world. Try to behave better suited to your age and cultural legacy please...

As for Stretch CQI - wider blade (higher I mean, not thickness) would suit me for example better. I love stretch, handle si good but I prefered handles on Wegner knives, still this is very good design.

Sal, you said handle will not improve, I think end of handle where is that hump/claw thing (don´t know how to describe it better) is not that comfy. I had stretch for some works in woods as my friend borrowed it to me. I was impressed but this portion of handle was hotspot from longer term use point of view. It just made some blisters. I love using my knives and stretch is my next to wishlist knife I will buy for sure. Blade style is one of the best and very beautifull, just try to think making it higher little bit. Just my opinion.

Thanks for oportunity to take place in new designs and improving knives.

With best regards,

Paul
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

PaloArt wrote:Dear Divo, I guess you may be older than me (I´m very young person), I guess you think very high of yourself...
He is arguing in Latin. He might be REALLY old. LOL