Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FCM415

Stretch CQI - What do you guys think?

Post by FCM415 »

Guys, check out this thread on BF. Sal's post... Some input would be appreciated. Hopefully positive as I'd love to see this variation of the Stretch! Been talked about for some time, bossman is considering it!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st12760356
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Interesting discussion :)

I personally adore the standard non-choil grip of the Stretch. If that wasn't impacted by the choil it would be great (personally) as would the flattened spine, especially if it resulted in a more acute tip.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

let me first say that i have never handled a stretch.
that said, i say yes to the choil and no, no, please no, to a straight spine.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:Interesting discussion :)

I personally adore the standard non-choil grip of the Stretch. If that wasn't impacted by the choil it would be great (personally) as would the flattened spine, especially if it resulted in a more acute tip.
Blerv,

Wouldn't this be an Endura with onle a slightly smaller blade? Couldn't a mild grind to the spine of any current endura make what some are describing? Am I missing something possibly?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Stretch has a much thinner grind unique to it. I'm quite certain that Sal didn't mean that it will be exactly like the Endura, just an example of a more standard Spyderco bladeshape we're used to. Just imagine it as it looks with the hump removed. Also the choil, Spydiehole placement, handle make it unique from the Endura, its close cousin.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd be in favor of Spyderco producing versions of the Stretch with different blade shapes. I think doing so would increase the potential market, since not everyone likes the current one. Straight spine or "modified leaf" would be ok, the "modified clip point" style used on the PE blade of the Dyads would be outstanding, although probably less popular. I can live with the existing choil, but would have no problem with a deeper one. I'd hope that, if that change were made, the original Stretch blade shape would continue to be offered in addition to any new versions.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The nice sweeping belly unique to the Stretch should remain, it's the literally the hump shaved off that is all probably. Of course I like my knife as is, but I'm curious to see what Sal has in mind.
-Leonard Nimoy
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Deacon wrote:I'd be in favor of Spyderco producing versions of the Stretch with different blade shapes. I think doing so would increase the potential market, since not everyone likes the current one. Straight spine or "modified leaf" would be ok, the "modified clip point" style used on the PE blade of the Dyads would be outstanding, although probably less popular. I can live with the existing choil, but would have no problem with a deeper one. I'd hope that, if that change were made, the original Stretch blade shape would continue to be offered in addition to any new versions.
Exactly. The handle alone is so nice that it could be a platform for variations.
-Leonard Nimoy
Divo

Post by Divo »

I like the idea of a deeper choil, but a straight spine like Endura would make the knife lose identity and it would become "too much of the same".
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:Blerv,

Wouldn't this be an Endura with onle a slightly smaller blade? Couldn't a mild grind to the spine of any current endura make what some are describing? Am I missing something possibly?
I think you'd have to be half blind and squint real hard to see any similarities between a straight spine Stretch and an Endura. The magic is in the Stretch's handle. The ergonomics are vastly superior IMO. Your mileage may very.

I think like Blerv said, as long as the grip behind the choil doesn't change, AND there's no loss in edge length, yeah make the choil deeper, absolutely. This is probably the one thing I would change if I could only change one thing. I don't love the curvy spine but I don't hate it either, it does add variety. I don't think the point would be any more acute by giving it a straight spine though. I used to really dislike the curved spine, but after owning one for a while now, it's sort of grown on me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd want any other knife to have a spine like it, but it is sort of part of the Stretch identity.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Evil D wrote:I think you'd have to be half blind and squint real hard to see any similarities between a straight spine Stretch and an Endura. The magic is in the Stretch's handle. The ergonomics are vastly superior IMO. Your mileage may very.

I think like Blerv said, as long as the grip behind the choil doesn't change, AND there's no loss in edge length, yeah make the choil deeper, absolutely. This is probably the one thing I would change if I could only change one thing. I don't love the curvy spine but I don't hate it either, it does add variety. I don't think the point would be any more acute by giving it a straight spine though. I used to really dislike the curved spine, but after owning one for a while now, it's sort of grown on me. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd want any other knife to have a spine like it, but it is sort of part of the Stretch identity.
Yea this is what I was hinting at. Nicely put David :) .

I like the pronounced guard, sculpting and pinky-ramp of the Stretch. To me, the Endura has always felt formless in comparison. Choils are great but I prefer they don't cut into much blade (if any); like the Chinook3 vs the Superleaf.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would love a deeper choil. Other than that the current Stretch is pretty near perfect. If you can throw a straight spine version in the same handle, why not see if they both sell? I do think the blade shape is part of the Stretch, change that and you better change the name.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input and thanx for starting the thread. The handle would not change except for a deeper finger choil. Both blades is an interesting thought.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

As for deepening the finger choil, there is a reason I have 5 Calypso Jr.s and only one Caly3...which I bought on clearance...just for taking comparison photos.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I am for this CQI change in the Stretch, it's one of my favorites. Wouldn't the changes being described essentially give you a Stretch handle (with the rear swoop) and a PM2 blade? I am holding the two knives side by side, and the PM2 has the deeper choil, the blade lengths are near identical with the PM2 having a straight spine, and the major difference on the handle is that rear end, swoop versus squared off with a much bigger lanyard hole on the PM2. Otherwise the ergos of the handles are quite remarkably similar. (Needless to say the locks are different also...). To me, much of the planned design changes could be accomplished by working the handle of the PM2 to make it Stretch-like versus modifying the blade and choil of the Stretch. Just my two cents...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If it's just a matter of curving and extending the current 50/50 choil I don't think it would impact people who prefer to avoid it completely. Of course, in a perfect world I'd love a sharpening notch and nearly 3.5" of cutting edge. :)
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

Blerv wrote:If it's just a matter of curving and extending the current 50/50 choil I don't think it would impact people who prefer to avoid it completely. Of course, in a perfect world I'd love a sharpening notch and nearly 3.5" of cutting edge. :)
I filed a small notch on my user Stretch, works great I can evenly sharpen it. Giving it more edge would make it an even better steak knife hehe.

Comparisons of the PM2 and Stretch have been around. Bladewise, the Stretch is much thinner, narrower without the hump (look at Yablanowitz' custom grind above), and a belly I prefer over the PM2.

As far as the choil change being permanent, I think is a good thing. A trial run with a different bladeshape shouldn't be a problem as the original hump can be put back in. Just a different version as discussed for years now. I hope as I dont get off as a hump hater haha! I have a stockpile of Stretches, Im all for well thought out variations.
-Leonard Nimoy
araneae

Post by araneae »

Is this what you had in mind for a straighter spine Sal, or more like the Delica (less hump)?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Divo

Post by Divo »

Don't understand your guesses.

If you click the link in the first post then you can read:
"A straighter spine like an Endura"
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

All I can say is that I am going to buy some stretches now...before they get all ruined by more choil.
On the hunt for...