removing a dent

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

removing a dent

Post by Buendia518 »

I recently bought a used caly 3.5 in super blue and there a couple dents in the edge near the tip. I've spent about 20 minutes with the SM diamond rods and I've made a lot of progress but there's one especially deep dent I'm still after, I'd say it's close to 1/3 as deep as the bevel.

Is it ever advisable to run the edge directly on a stone to even out the area around the dent/ chip which needs to be removed anyway? I'm planning to dull the last half inch or so.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

If you only have a Sharpmaker at your disposal I (personally) would not dull the edge and then try to re-profile. In the absence of pictures I'd say the best bet is to keep working the flats of the diamond rods until the "dent" (more than likely a 'chip') is gone and then go into a more routine sharpening process to get the edge you want. I guess what I'm saying is that, in the end, the same amount of material will have to be taken off in order to restore the edge beyond the chip, so it doesn't matter how you go about it, , , ,but I'd just assume maintain the edge profile throughout the process rather than having to re-establish the bevel all over again. Working with an Edge-Pro may offer a little more latitude in how to go about this, but using a Sharpmaker will still work well, , just take longer. I'm sure others will have additional insights.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Hey thanks for responding, you were too late :)
A sharpmaker is my only tool. I think it's worked out alright but I haven't finished the process yet. It may have worked out the same just spending the time sharpening on the diamond stones but I was getting sick of that chip so I wanted to get rid of it asap and it is gone. I definitely lost some curve from that cm or so of the knife but it looks pretty close to my vg10 3.5 so I'm pleased.
I'd still be interested to know if dulling just to resharpen was a mistake.
Take care all
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't consider it a mistake, I've done it many times and suggested it to others as well.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.