lesson learned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tk59194

lesson learned

Post by tk59194 »

I got my sage 1 about 3 weeks ago and have been exclusively using it as my edc knife since I took it out of the box. Hands down one of the best pocket knives I've ever owned. I have been utilizing the wire clip to attach to my pocket everyday. Today I went down to grab it and it was gone. I'm very glad that it has worked for many on this forum, but I will never use the pocket clip again. I'm out a **** nice knife, and not a cheap one at that. If I buy another spyderco the clip will go in the trash immediately. Anyways thanks for letting me vent.... I already miss my Sage 1 and its only been a few hours...sigh.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Sorry for your loss.

FYI I wouldn't mind you collecting your clips and hardware and I will gladly take possesion of your unused clips (wire or hourglass).
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mattman

Post by mattman »

check the seatbelt in your car, or down next to the seat...
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

What happened exactly? Even if the pocket clip fell off our broke, the knife wouldn't go with it? (assuming the knife was inside your pocket and not outside.
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Knife was inside my pocket, best I can guess is that it flew out/off at some point
mattman

Post by mattman »

disregard my post then, I thought the entire knife was gone...
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I've lost more knives loose in my pocket than with the clip. Maybe that's just my luck
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

mattman wrote:check the seatbelt in your car, or down next to the seat...
+1. This has happened to me a few times.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Entire knife is gone.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If your entire knife is gone there is a good chance the clip got hung up on something and pulled out of your pocket. Like others have said, search anywhere you may have sat down today or brushed passed.

I think the number of people utilizing the clip as a way of securing their knives successfully demonstrates that it is a viable method of carry. I'm sorry about your sage but I would chalk this up to bad luck.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

As said above, definitely check your car. The seat belt is the most knife greedy inanimate object I've ever encountered.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

ASmitty wrote:As said above, definitely check your car. The seat belt is the most knife greedy inanimate object I've ever encountered.
Agreed!
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I used to have an office chair that had a plastic trim piece that hit my left-hand pocket at just the right angle to pop knives out of my pocket when I sat down. More than once, I found my knife sitting on the floor underneath my desk.

I tend to wear a lot more of my knives deep-in-pocket these days. Partially to avoid this issue. Partially to avoid exposing the knife - it isn't concealed if you can see it!

TedP
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Man! That sucks. Sorry for your loss.

I almost ALWAYS have a knife clipped to my pocket, and I've never lost one out of my pocket. I lose knives when I'm using them and set them down rather than putting them back into the pocket. The good thing is, MOST of the knives that I've misplaced have been eventually found. Keep looking, you may find yours.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't write off the pocket clip so fast. I have more crap fall out of my pockets into the seat of my car than I've ever had knives come unclipped. What you need to look into is tightening your clips. Take the clip off and bend it a little bit so it presses harder against the scale and clips tighter. Most of my knives clip super tight for this exact reason.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Yeah, people come here all the time and say they lost their knife and 90% of them come back and report that it was in their car.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Well, its definitely not in my car. Oh well, I loved that knife so much, I went ahead and ordered another one this evening along with a delica 4. Time to wait for the mailman and carry my good old izula for a few days. Cheers!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is one drawback to the wire clip though IMO. No matter how tight it is, it won't clip as tight as an hourglass, because it has less contact patch under the clip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I hope I don't jinx myself. But, I've not had any issues with my Spydies coming out of my pocket when clipped.

I agree the Sage 1 is a fantastic knife. It was one of my first. I actually like the wire clips better, as they carry deeper / lower.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

phillipsted wrote:I used to have an office chair that had a plastic trim piece that hit my left-hand pocket at just the right angle to pop knives out of my pocket when I sat down. More than once, I found my knife sitting on the floor underneath my desk.

I tend to wear a lot more of my knives deep-in-pocket these days. Partially to avoid this issue. Partially to avoid exposing the knife - it isn't concealed if you can see it!

TedP
I had the same thing happen at work. Was sitting in a co-workers office chair and left. About an hour later I realized my knife was gone. I back-tracked every place I'd been that morning including the bathroom. Was having some anxiety when I found the knife on the floor by the chair in my co-workers office. Somehow when sitting down the arm on the chair snagged the clip and pulled the knife out. Was a huge relief when I got my Caly 3.5 back.