Does anyone use their little pry bars?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

My biggest issue with the bits is length. If the screw heads are countersunk a little, or tunnelled as is common on things like drillmotor housings for example, the bits are too short to reach and the bit holder is too wide to fit into the hole. The secondary issue is the flattened Phillips bits I've tried in the past did not grip well and damaged screw heads when they slipped. I'm also not a big fan of loose parts on multitools, as they too readily become missing parts. At least on the SpydeRench they are standard bits that can be easily replaced.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
knolan

Post by knolan »

Got it yablanowitz...thx for the info.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

I used to carry a CC micro widgy loose in pocket, but it wasn't really ideal for my needs- too small, unusable nail puller tip.
I have recently upgraded to a PRY12 and man, I use this thing A LOT. The clip makes it super handy in the back pocket, I use it for all kinds of tasks at work, opening heavy duty packaging, fitting parts, aligning bolt holes etc, it makes a great screwdriver on the fly rather than having to go all the way back to my toolbox, coin slot locks etc, anything that is too rough for my knife or screwdrivers, the pry comes out, and of course, at 4.00 when the beers need to be popped (although Jens recommends beers be drunk at 12 hahaha).

I see, said the blind man.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

kbuzbee wrote:Would that be old new wave? ;)

I prefer new old wave myself. ;)

Ken
Yes - old new wave. :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I do use mine (that you gave to me Jazz), but only on rare occasions. It stays on my key chain and comes in handy for the odd paint can, etc. I actually used it to remove a staple the other day.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Sharpwerks Prybuddy on my keys. I use it rarely, most often to open bottles. It has been useful to me, I have used it a few times where I didn't want to pry with my knife and that is worth the price right there. I've used it when I didn't want to cut what I was trying to get under.

The highlight of this pry bar is the price ($25 shipped for two) and that it is no larger or heavier than one key.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still say you guys need to just buy a proper multi tool. I haven't seen a single use that my Spirit can't handle along with 100s of other uses.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:I still say you guys need to just buy a proper multi tool. I haven't seen a single use that my Spirit can't handle along with 100s of other uses.
That's what I would suggest. I prefer the leatherman models with the built in pocket clip.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I consider the Leatherman Wave to be a proper multi tool, but I only carry one of those at a time. I tend to use the mini pry-bars in pairs. Try using your "proper multi tool" as a shim to set the spacing between the doors when reversing refrigerator doors some time.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a leatherman sidekick and a sog multitool, but those things seem to weigh a ton. I prefer to have a fraction of an ounce pry bar instead of a 6 ounce multitool. *shrug*
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

yablanowitz wrote:I consider the Leatherman Wave to be a proper multi tool, but I only carry one of those at a time. I tend to use the mini pry-bars in pairs. Try using your "proper multi tool" as a shim to set the spacing between the doors when reversing refrigerator doors some time.
By that point I have the tool box out anyway. That's like saying try lining up the transmission with the bell housing bolts with your pry bar...I'm gonna be in full tool mode by the time I'm doing a job like that.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I have a leatherman sidekick and a sog multitool, but those things seem to weigh a ton. I prefer to have a fraction of an ounce pry bar instead of a 6 ounce multitool. *shrug*
Yeah weight is a definite difference but look at all the other stuff you can do with the multi. You carry it for everything not just the pry bar..
~David
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Evil D wrote:By that point I have the tool box out anyway. That's like saying try lining up the transmission with the bell housing bolts with your pry bar...I'm gonna be in full tool mode by the time I'm doing a job like that.
Even if I have the toolbox out, the Enderes keychain prybar gets used as a spacer for that job anyway. It happens to be the perfect thickness. And yes, that is a job I do quite often.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess if I had a specific, almost daily use for one I may have a different opinion. Heck if I used one once a week maybe. I did have to pry some stuff at work the other day but I was full size 4 foot crowbar sized prying lol.
~David
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I use mine about once or twice a week. I started using it to open boxes since I ended up cutting way too deep with my folder. I've cut into the stuff inside and nicked my edge.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: