Fake Military?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
b0n0

Fake Military?

Post by b0n0 »

So I just got my new Military, and first thing i noticed was the ****ty edge on the blade... so could this be a china fake?

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I don't think so, it looks legit for me. But it is hard to say from pictures, as fakes become better and better and if you do a search in the forums, you will see it. Much more important is the source where you bought it. Was it truthwoethy or not?
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
b0n0

Post by b0n0 »

black

Post by black »

Funny how people now think they got a fake if the quality isn't like what they expected. You know people at the Spydeco factory can mess up a edge as well. They don't have to be chinese to do that. BTW The edge is fine and I would not worry about it. Maybe it's not the prettiest but you won't keep the factory edge anyway if you sharpen your knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As Peter noted, it's hard to tell from photos, but the edge on your Military looks fine to me. Spyderco hand sharpens their knives with a belt grinder, so both minor variations and a slightly "toothy" texture are normal and the edge grinds on S30V knives seem particularly prone to having a striated appearance. If you bought it from a legitimate source, it's legitimate. If you bought it from a seller in China, or elsewhere at a price "too good to be true", then it probably isn't. If you purchased it from the shop you linked to, inquiring about their reputation on one or more of the British knife forums might either easy your mind or let you know you've been burned.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
b0n0

Post by b0n0 »

This is not my first spyderco knife. But it is the first that I need to actually sharpen... Thought it was odd for such a pricey knife...
Kangal

Post by Kangal »

As said before, pics do not tell the story anymore. The fastest way to disclose a fake is to determine millie's weight. All models with G10 scales weighing between 120 to 124 grams depending on the blade steel. Even nearly perfect looking fakes do not meet this figure. They are significantly heavier, the weight differs from 138 to 152 grams.
stevenk1231

Post by stevenk1231 »

My manix 2xl came with an edge I needed to regrind to make it compatible with the sharpmaker.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Looks legit from the pics. Maybe it's not new?
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Joe Blade

Post by Joe Blade »

FYI. Fakes on Ebay right now by seller 420hell. The guy even uses the all the photos from the aliexpress.com website where they are selling fake millies $28 each. Here's a link to the guys stuff http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Mil...item27dcc47e33
Joe Blade

Post by Joe Blade »

Update. I had reported the seller to ebay, but they only listed to complaints of this nature if it comes from the RIGHTS OWNER. I also filed a report to appropriate federal agencies.I contact Spyderco and they said email customer service the info which I did. Now all this is not really me but I liked their products THAT much that I took the time. I'm looking for a new c36gpe. I had asked what kind of deal could they do me on one and they email me a link to pay FULL retail. I wasn't looking for something for nothing but you would think that taking the time to help a company out that one hand would wash the other. It wasn't my goal in reporting the counterfeits but after I had spend all the time, thought maybe Spyderco would do me a solid. It was a turn off for me. Longtime spyderco fan here, but I think its time to break into my collection start carrying my Emerson's.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I see a Camo Military that looks fake. The jimping on the liner lock looks too big, the shoulders of the G-10 seem like they are crudely beveled, and the clip is straight instead of slightly curved. What say ye, fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-Camouf ... 2a37ffce83

edit: even thought the listing claims the pictures are of the actual knife for sale in this particular auction, the seller is also selling a second one with the exact same pictures and the same claim that the pictures are of the actual knife in that auction as well! How can one set of pictures be the exact knife they are selling in two different auctions?!? :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-Camouf ... 2a37bee2e3
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
knivefanatic

Post by knivefanatic »

My friend got me one of these as a joke for my birthday, but before he told me it was fake I honestly thought it was real. I'm wondering how people can make such well make fakes for such a cheap price..
Freman

Post by Freman »

Labour in China is cheap, and they have a lot invested in machinery. If linked advertisements are correct then the steel is something like 5Cr13MoV which is... not the best steel around... even in China and although it's technically on par with 420HC I doubt it gets the heat treatment of Buck or Leatherman. I think that someone also pointed out that a dollar in China is worth about three in the US, so a $10 knife has equivalent value to a $30 one in the US. That ratio may have changed since then but not by too much.