Sage 4 opinions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Buendia518

Sage 4 opinions?

Post by Buendia518 »

I'm thinking about buying a Sage 4 and I don't see much discussion about it here.
Does anyone have a strong recommendation one way or the other?

I already own a CF Sage and a native 5, so I don't really need another 3 inch folder but the wood scales are calling me.

Thanks ahead of time.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

It's a gorgeous knife and the finest of the Sage series, in my opinion.

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As with all the Sage series knives, it's extremely well crafted. If you like the way it looks, you'll be happy with it. Personally, I was severely disappointed that Spyderco chose to use screws to secure the bolsters, but that's just me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

It's definitely the heaviest of the Sages. If you get one you will notice the weight difference compared to the Sage 1.

It's a beautiful knife, and like all sages, it feels great in the hand.

The only downsides that I can think of are that like all knives with SS bolsters, the bolsters are a magnet for scratches. And I have heard a couple people who have had the scale split when a little too much sideways pressure was applied to the wire clip.

But I love mine and highly recommend it for light to medium EDC use.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Ok I went ahead and bought it, thanks for the votes of confidence that's all I needed.
Racer thanks for the pictures hopefully the one I get will look as good.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Buendia518 wrote: Racer thanks for the pictures hopefully the one I get will look as good.
Bwooohahahahaaaaaaaa.... So, my evil plan worked. :D
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Sage 4 is probably my favorite of all the Sages so far...

:bug-red-white
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I have the Sage 1 and 2 but just don't care for the 3 and 4 at all. The Sage 4 is too funky looking for me plus the fact that knives with bolsters like that are always too heavy for their size and where the handle and bolster meet the steel liners is the only thing holding the whole thing together weakens the design.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

As has been mentioned, it is the heaviest in the Sage series. But it does look and handle spectacular. I like to carry and use it mainly out of pride of ownership and it is a great showpiece. Non-knife people don't seem to mind it much either. There are more practical designs for carrying a pure user, a ffg delica 4 comes to mind, but the Sage 4 is just more fun to use and carry sometimes.

My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Hey Mr. Blonde are those Al Mar knives hard to come by?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think you will like the Sage4. It is one of my favorites. When I bought it I was considering it a gent's knife more than anything because of how beautiful it is. But I decided later it was too big for what I call a gent's knife. I say this based on the type of dress I associate with the stereotype of how a "gentleman" dresses (slacks, tie, possibly a suit). Now that I'm no longer working I don't dress like this often so I just carry what I like and the type of dress seldom matters. I consider the Sage4 more in the harder use category myself. It's extremely sturdy. I also have the Bradley Folder (GB) which I consider a hard use folder and the Sage4 sees more pocket time than the GB. I don't know why. I love both knives equally. I consider the GB more of a hard use folder than the Sage4 but I would have to problem using the Sage4 for tasks I consider "hard use folder" tasks. The scale under my clip did split when I hung the clip (real hard) on the arm of a chair. The wire clip did not bend. It "spun" under the clip screw and ended up sticking out at a 90° angle with the handle. This put so much pressure on the wood that it split the grain. For me this is not a big deal because I prefer to carry this knife in a belt pouch. The scale is still usable but I just can't use the clip. Also, it prompted me to make a new set of scales for my Sage4. That started a trend and I don't know how many scales I've made for this knife. Some look pretty good. Some are ugly. Someone mentioned the bolsters scratching easily. This is true because they are titanium which is soft. So, since I messed with the scales I also decided to stonewash the bolsters and blade on mine. Needless to say the knife looks nothing like the original.

Here are a couple of pictures.
Here is my Sage4 with kirinite (black mother of pearl). Not REAL black mother of pearl.

Kirinite lava-flow scales.

For fun I have also paired the scale material with my ss bolster Manbug. Here is one example with kirinite (BMOP).

Here is the Sage4 with micarta. On these scales I left the micarta a little thicker for a "fuller" grip. I think on this configuration especially I agree with Deacon. If the screws were not visible it would add tons to the appearance. :) Still, I think black scales and a silver bolster is a great match. I also have micarta scales for the MB but in this picture the Manbug has white bone scales.

Since I started buying Spyderco's I've had several favorites. The Sage4 became my favorite almost immediately and has remained so. I got it very soon after it was released however long ago that was. This is a long time for one knife to remain a favorite in my experience. One really good thing about it is at just under 3" the blade is probably legal about anywhere. The GB at just under 3.5" is technically illegal in most of FL I think although the PO's where I live don't care what you carry as long as you don't walk around poking people with your knife. :) If you do that they get upset. :confused: Don't know why. :)

Jack

PS edit:
I found this picture. I would not put this much work into a knife I didn't care much for. I made each of these with the intent of carrying them. Some of them will NEVER be put back on the knife though. Sorry about that you ugly scales. :)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Buendia518 wrote:Hey Mr. Blonde are those Al Mar knives hard to come by?
Vintage Al Mars are tough to find, but the smaller Hawk and Falcon can be found, as they are still being made or have been reissued a few years ago. I scored my Falcon as a reissued classic by Al Mar. Some of the larger knifeshops will probably have these.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Which models are those, Wouter? New Graham Knives appear to have the bolstered cocobolo versions of the Al Mar Osprey, Hawk, and Eagle in stock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Al Mar knives pictured are the Hawk and Falcon. The Falcon has a cocobolo handle and is fairly new. The Hawk was a store-find, didn't come with a box and it had been there for several years. I'm pretty sure the Hawk also sports a cocobolo handle. I've also seen them in stock at Knifecenter.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The Sage 4 inspired me to get an Al Mar Falcon...

They go nicely together.

The Sage 4 is a great tribute. As with so many Spyderco knives, there is depth that goes far beyond the wood and steel.
:bug-red-white
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

Thanks to everyone who responded here.
Jack I really like the red and blue scale combo it must be a nice change of pace

I got the knife in the mail today and I'm really impressed, the quality is amazing as promised. I like the smoothness and the heft; I used to be concerned about weight with every knife I bought but I realize now I don't need to take this thing on a long hike, and I think the wire clip helps disguise the weight in my pocket.

Thanks to you guys I also have an Al Mar on it's way right now, but just an ultralight to start :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Buendia518 wrote:Thanks to everyone who responded here.
Jack I really like the red and blue scale combo it must be a nice change of pace

I got the knife in the mail today and I'm really impressed, the quality is amazing as promised. I like the smoothness and the heft; I used to be concerned about weight with every knife I bought but I realize now I don't need to take this thing on a long hike, and I think the wire clip helps disguise the weight in my pocket.

Thanks to you guys I also have an Al Mar on it's way right now, but just an ultralight to start :)
I like the heft of this knife also. I don't use the clip and sometimes I put it in my pocket and it feels good. Normally we like a knife that seems invisible when carrying it but I kind of like feeling the fact that it's there. Congratulations on having a great knife. Spyderco designed a model to celebrate different locks and IMO the Sage knives fit in my hand about as good as any and better than most. Great knife.

The red and blue scale. Different people have different ideas about doing this. People either see it as a nice change while others think it looks like I accidentally put on two different shoes on my feet in the morning (which I have done :) ). I think this is a personality thing and has nothing to do with a knife or which scales are chosen. Remember the kid in high school who wore a red and a blue sneaker? Some thought he looked cool and independent while others thought he looked like an idiot. :D

Jack
Buendia518

Post by Buendia518 »

[quote="jackknifeh"]

In a while when the newness wears off (and I replace my lost torx set) I'll take off the clip and let this sit out on my desk, it's not a knife that will find it's way back to the box.
It will keep company an old wood inlayed Kershaw 1040 that I have in a "desktop" role for sentimental reasons, my mom used to keep it by her bed.

And one question, is there a chaparral style stop pin in this knife?

And jack I always matched shoes in highschool but I still looked like an idiot. :)
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Buendia518 wrote:In a while when the newness wears off (and I replace my lost torx set) I'll take off the clip and let this sit out on my desk, it's not a knife that will find it's way back to the box.
It will keep company an old wood inlayed Kershaw 1040 that I have in a "desktop" role for sentimental reasons, my mom used to keep it by her bed.

And one question, is there a chaparral style stop pin in this knife?

And jack I always matched shoes in highschool but I still looked like an idiot. :)
I bet it will look great sitting on a desk. Even used as a paperweight.

There is a stop pin just like the Chaparral in the Sage4. I've been wondering which backlock knives Spyderco will use it on. Will it be a standard addition to the lock? It may be just for the larger (3" and up for example) knives. The Manbug is new (sort of) but doesn't have the stop pin. I guess I'll wait and see. :)

Jack