Honestly see no good reason for an Auto or Spring Assist with the Spyderco THUMB HOLE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

[quote="The Deacon"]I'd agree with you on the UTX-70/D-fly comparison. But, even among MT OTF's it's going to vary from model to model and knife to knife. The thumb pressure needed to fire my UTX-70 is light enough that it opens, and closes, very easily and very fast. OTOH, my Combat Troodon probably takes 10X the thumb pressure to fire, so I'd rate it slower than a Stretch.

Not to mention that, in most cases, we're talking fractions of a second and, as David pointed out, that's rarely going to matter and, if it did, could almost always have been compensated for by situational awareness.

Yes, the full size autos do take more force to fire. You have to be determined and deliberate in the opening. Also as you mentioned, I have noticed that between two of my ultratechs (same year), a S/E and D/E, the D/E fires faster. I'm assuming because the spring has a little less blade mass to spring forward. Once again though, fractions of a second....
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I've got three of the Spyderco autos. Why? Just because. They're "taboo." They're "cool." I've never carried any of them. (Embassy, Citadel, and Bifold)

I'd like to get a Microtech OTF some day... when I can justify the $400 worth of "cool."

But, if speed of deployment is the "issue," I dare say I can get a standard Spydie out and open faster than I can draw an auto and FIND THE LITTLE BUTTON.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I prefer the simplicity, reliability and more that adequate speed of manual Spydercos.

I don't believe anybody has mentioned that perhaps the main appeal of the flippers, etc, is the hoped-for fear or startle response their sudden statement of aggression might cause in real or fantasized opponents. It could be argued that this might give the knife holder an edge in some real world situations, but this doesn't rise to the level of a consideration in my knife purchases.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

When you flick them open, do you really know or physically feel them lock solidly? I guess I'm just not a fan: flippers, AO, or autos.
- best wishes, Jazz.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

The Domino is my first flipper and I like it but I also like that it is just a quick to open the knife with Spydie Hole. I like to have a part in opening the knife, I guess pushing a button is having a part in opening the knife, but what I mean is I like to develop the skill to open it with my thumb as well as my forefinger etc. I think it would be a novelty to have an assisted opener but I don't think I would ever buy one.

As far as them being illegal (although I don't think that was part of the OP) I don't really get the logic on that one. I don't find assisted knives any more scary or know why they would be any more dangerous than any other knife. I am sure if you have bad intentions (2/10ths of a second faster or not) an assisted opener isn't really going to change things one way or another.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Blame this Cartoon Delinquent for their popularly.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Hahaha gotta love that!
akapennypincher wrote:Blame this Cartoon Delinquent for their popularly.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I agree plus there is always a question of legality. I'm not a big fan of flippers either because I look at flippers as just another unecessary protrusion like thumb studs which is one thing that led me to Spyderco's in the first place.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

akapennypincher wrote:Blame this Cartoon Delinquent for their popularly.
Haha, I think they've been popular a little longer than that :) All the self-respecting motor cycle hoodlums I knew in the mid 1950's had Italian stiletto switchblades (along with duck tail haircuts and black leather jackets). Regrettably I was a little too young for either a motorcycle or switchblade at that time. Switchblades played a prominent role in movies like Blackboard Jungle back then. My older brother had a knife whose blade was slung out the end of the handle. The stilettos were hard to get and were illegal in some way, I think just their importation. My dad carried, in his line of work, a switchblade which I thought at the time was regular issue to WWII paratroopers (to cut them free of parachute straps--he was not a paratrooper).

I have a $20 Chinese made Kershaw Oso Sweet flipper that I bought out of guilt after getting a store clerk to show me 5 or 6 Spidercos when I wasn't ready to buy yet. It's amazing to get knives that well made for that price, but it's just a novelty to me; I don't ever carry it, though it might be handy to have in the car.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
akapennypincher

How about these?
TBob

Post by TBob »

If I recall correctly, Stanley Kubick's movie "A Clockwork Orange" is what caused the downfall of the auto knives, similar to "Bambi" negatively impacting hunting. Apparently emotion-tugging, fictional worlds drive politicos and the sheeple more than reality.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

TBob wrote:Stanley Kubick's movie "A Clockwork Orange" is what caused the downfall of the auto knives
AFAIK, it all happened way before.

'The Wild One' and 'West Side Story' sparked everything in Hollywood, and might be used by legislators to rule against auto knives since then.
Stay Sharp!
Studey

Post by Studey »

racer88 wrote:
But, if speed of deployment is the "issue," I dare say I can get a standard Spydie out and open faster than I can draw an auto and FIND THE LITTLE BUTTON.
Have you ever tested it?

Autos can be faster, but it can be a pretty negligible difference, and as others have mentioned, waved knives and fixed blades are even faster. I have to wonder though, how many of you speaking against autos have any experience with them? I realize racer88, that you and some others have stated you do own autos.

Fractions of a second make all the difference in a conflict. I don't believe that an auto offers a distinct advantage over anything else, other than they could be faster than another folder, though I will agree that the likelihood of that mattering is very small. To suggest that fractions of a second don't matter though is ridiculous. Fights are decided in that amount of time.

An advantage to autos for some people, though, is ease of manipulation. People with limited dexterity can have trouble with thumbing open a conventional one-hander. My dad, for example, has limited dexterity in his hands. He can work with them fine, but struggles towards the end of the opening cycle with most folders. His Pro-Techs are much, much easier for him to manipulate.

Autos are incredibly fun. They can add a further enjoyable aspect to a tool we all enjoy. For serious work, I agree that a manual folder or a fixed blade rules the day. But if you can legally own and carry one, and your tasks do not entail getting the knife filthy enough to impair its function, and you enjoy using autos, then why not?
TBob

Post by TBob »

Autos are fun, but something that no one has discussed is the safety switch on the autos to prevent premature deployment. One should not be carried without the safety engaged, which takes time to find and disengage if in a hurry for whatever reason. The Spydie hole doesn't require that initial step, giving it a signficant advantage if speed is an issue. Personally, I like the simplicity and reliability of the manual Spydie hole for deployment. For the cool factor, though, Spyderco makes a few excellent autos.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I have owned a lot of auto's and butterfly knives along with manual knives. Back in the late 80's I would have said my butterfly knife was the fastest opening knife I had, but now with the flippers out there I would side with them. My Domino and others open with such ease I doubt I could open any knife quicker now. The Spydie hole is fairly new to me while I can open it fast just not as fast as the flipper. Given time I might not say that because I rarely use the Spydie hole to open the Domino but if I practice it would more than likely it would be to close to matter. Fast or not I still won't buy any knife without the Spydie hole its a lot more positive and natural opening system that any protrusion sticking out on the blade. If I were to use it in a selfdefense situation I would use the Spydie hole only because you know when the blade is locked open with out looking at it or hearing it lock, its just a sure thing.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Studey

Post by Studey »

TBob wrote:Autos are fun, but something that no one has discussed is the safety switch on the autos to prevent premature deployment. One should not be carried without the safety engaged, which takes time to find and disengage if in a hurry for whatever reason. The Spydie hole doesn't require that initial step, giving it a signficant advantage if speed is an issue. Personally, I like the simplicity and reliability of the manual Spydie hole for deployment. For the cool factor, though, Spyderco makes a few excellent autos.

Good point. Autos with safeties are pointless. I don't like them at all and don't own any. A flush fitted or slightly lowered button is fine though. I've never had a problem with accidental deployment.
TBob

Post by TBob »

Studey wrote:Autos with safeties are pointless.
Not literally, of course. ;)
akapennypincher

The Spydeco Hole is simple, no moving parts, or spring to fail from dust. FASTEST maybe not, but works , it is a great choice for some who need not be the fastest.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, the only Spydie I've really been disappointed in is my Citadel (well, maybe a little with my Southard, too, but not nearly as much).

For manual folders, Spyderco's are my top 7 or 8 choices. There are so many great ones, and they push aside my Benchmade, ZT, Kershaw, etc, etc, etc knives.

But in autos, I definitely prefer my LUDTs (I have two) to my Citadel by a wide margin.

For a hard use knife with one handed opening, I'd still go with my Manix 2 or PM2 over my LUDTs though. The LUDTs have their place, but that place is just not "in my pocket every day". For EDC carry, I actually prefer a plain ole sabre grind VG-10 Endura to my LUDTs. But I honestly can't see myself ever carrying my Citadel.

To each their own, I guess, but for me, the manual action heavy use blades are dominated by Spyderco. Not so much the automatics.

In fact, despite my love or their manual folders, my favorite fixed blade is also a Spyderco. I own ESEE, Ka-Bar, and Bark River, and my "must have" fixed blade is still my South Fork.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

bengaiser wrote:Spyderco should make a hybrid auto-manual opener. I got to play with one once (don't remember the brand) and it was a little freaky. Push the button for auto, or use the thumb stud for manual. Every time I manually opened the knife I felt as if it would spring to life in my hand at any second :eek: Pretty cool though.
Like the Microtech Select fire :D