Robin blade swappable with dragonfly blade?

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
Cereal_killer

Robin blade swappable with dragonfly blade?

Post by Cereal_killer »

I've been searching all day and can't find any info either way. Is it possible to stick a dragonfly blade in a robin handle? The lock bar would have to stay with the blade, does it have the same mounting point?

If so the resulting knife would be amazing- H1 or even ZDP, G10 w/ all screw together construction, 4 way clip, the ability to make custom scales, 4 way clip. (Yes I know I said it twice)
araneae

Post by araneae »

I am certain it is not. They are very different designs.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

They overlay almost exactly, the blade width is exactly the same, the hardware lines up when overlaid, the only difference is the blade is .12" longer on the robin. Their features might be quite different but by design they're very close, till someone comes along who has actually held both knives disassembeled comes along and shuts me down I'm not taking no for an answer lol.

Heck for the price of a Byrd maybe I'll ask for one for Xmas this year from my sister or someone just to try.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I would highly doubt it. They are made in different countries, at different factories, using different parts suppliers. The only thing they have in common is that at some point, someone from Spyderco designed them both. Go ahead and try it, just remember that disassembling will void your warranty, and be sure you''re confident putting them back together.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Holland

Post by Holland »

please let us know how it goes :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE