New to Spyderco--got bit by the bug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
moosedrool

New to Spyderco--got bit by the bug

Post by moosedrool »

Greetings!
I recently purchased Dragonfly2 (ZDP-189 FRN) & love the
little folder for light EDC. Typically I'm carrying both the D2
and Emerson/Protech auto CQC-7 for road trips/camping. I'm already
looking at my next Spyderco purchase in light of my positive
experience with D2! Any suggestions for my next Spyderco? Thinking
full flat ground, step up in size 3-3.5, carbon fiber or G10,
vg10/zdp189, & leaf shape non-serrated. 100-150 price
range. The new knife will fall in rotation when I'm wanting
a bit more than Dragonfly2 & not wanting to carry my automatic
Emerson CQC-7 (issue in out of state travel. my state allows
auto knives). The next Spyderco will likely be step towards
modest collection. Thanks for any input.
[ATTACH]22769[/ATTACH]
Attachments
edc.JPG
paladin

Post by paladin »

Sounds like you would be looking for the Caly 3.5...believe it or not, it's just a smidge heavier than your Dragonfly 2 with a load more cutting power, well within your price range also. BTW, welcome...good folks here.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome.. You will get LOTS of input here!! Good Luck!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

paladin wrote:Sounds like you would be looking for the Caly 3.5...believe it or not, it's just a smidge heavier than your Dragonfly 2 with a load more cutting power, well within your price range also. BTW, welcome...good folks here.
Welcome moosedrool! My first thought was the same as paladin's: the Caly 3/3.5, as it fits your price range as well as size, steel type (available in VG-10 or ZDP-189), grind, handle material (G-10 or CF), and blade shape.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

When i red your discription I also thought Caly 3 or 3.5, the CF version with ZDP is in that price range ($130-150). The Caly is a wicked cutter and a sweet EDC knife and of course the ZDP is a wonderfull steel :)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
moosedrool

Post by moosedrool »

Thanks for the advice. The Caly 3.5 looks like a great choice. G10 or carbon fiber? Any issue with the riveted together construction?

The Spyderco community looks like very dedicated and knowledgeable users.
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

I would reccomend the Caly as well. The good old standby Endura in G-10 may fit your bill as well and would be under your price range as well. Welcome to the forums, we always welcome new addicts. :)
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
moosedrool

Post by moosedrool »

Thanks much. Screw together or riveted construction? My Emerson CQC-7 is screwed together which I like?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've got a Caly 3 and have had no issues with the riveted construction. For some companies, the riveted build is a source of pride in the workmanship. I believe that one reason the Caly family is riveted is that the thin profile doesn't allow for screw-together construction, but I may be misremembering :rolleyes: . The blade has a screw, so it can be loosened or tightened to fit your likes. My Caly (like many others) came a bit gritty, but a quick flush with soapy water, rinse and dry had it working perfect. Keep in mind that out of the box the knife will likely be a bit tight, but with repeated use the parts will wear in a bit and loosen up a little, allowing for slicker blade deployment.

The decision between G-10 and CF is likely to be influenced by the blade steel you want: the ZDP blade comes in the CF handled knife while the G-10 handle is mated up with VG-10 steel. There is also a sprint run version with grey G-10 handles and Aogami Super Blue blade, if that is of any interest. It's a bit pricier and harder to find however. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the versions, however, as the Caly 3/3.5 is a fantastic knife.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I would go fro the CF, its only $30 more expensive then the G-10 version. And the ZDP and CF upgrade are certainly wurth $30.

The pinned construction does not pose any problems on my knives (I have 4 Caly 3 and 3 Caly 3.5) The rivets are only on to keep the knife together. The pivot is adjustable with a normal screw. Only the Clay 3 Damascus is not ajustable all the others are. So no issues with blade play.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
moosedrool

Post by moosedrool »

Thanks much! So many choices! Sage series (CF) & Chaparral (CF) are sweet looking choices too. Best I plan on pacing my purchases. May ask for the
Domino for Christmas.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! The Sage 1 is pretty snazzy. I recommend it.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

Yo moosedrool, they're biting me, too. Just got me a Dragonfly 2 G-10 and it suddenly needs company.

I'm close to Golden so I went looking at the Caly3 and Caly3.5. Great knives. The Caly3 is very nice and of course I must have one, but it is just a step up from the Dragonfly. so the Caly 3.5 makes a better choice for my second. Except I like the G-10 handle better than the carbon fiber version, but would rather have the ZDP from the CF on the G-10. But the knife I really wanted is the Sage 1 with the blue G-10 handles off the Sage 3 cause I'm not really into the button lock, And I really should go back and look at the Native5' s again cause those were pretty sweet.

Hope that helps.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

As others have said you can't go wrong with the Caly 3-3.5 or Sage 1, all are great. I prefer the CF to the G-10 as it's easier on the pockets. The Caly's are mid back lock and the Sage 1 is a liner lock if that makes a difference. Currently my CF Caly 3.5 gets more carry time than all others. A LOT of knife that is relatively small, thin, and beautiful.
moosedrool

Post by moosedrool »

Foghorne. Sounds like the ramblings of a mad man looking for knives but with underlying rationale. LOL. :) Thanks for input-makes it more fun.

""Yo moosedrool, they're biting me, too. Just got me a Dragonfly 2 G-10 and it suddenly needs company.

I'm close to Golden so I went looking at the Caly3 and Caly3.5. Great knives. The Caly3 is very nice and of course I must have one, but it is just a step up from the Dragonfly. so the Caly 3.5 makes a better choice for my second. Except I like the G-10 handle better than the carbon fiber version, but would rather have the ZDP from the CF on the G-10. But the knife I really wanted is the Sage 1 with the blue G-10 handles off the Sage 3 cause I'm not really into the button lock, And I really should go back and look at the Native5' s again cause those were pretty sweet.

Hope that helps. ""
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

If you want a workhorse then go with a Gayle Bradley. If you just want an overall great knife go with either the caly 3.5 or a sage 1
3f8

Post by 3f8 »

DO NOT BUY a paramilitary 2!! It is a gateway drug. I now have several Spyderco knives. Also have an empty bank account, angry wife, and I'm still looking. My wife said a dozen Spydercos is not a 12 step program.
moosedrool

Post by moosedrool »

3f8. LOL. I understand. My wife feels like Spyderco purchase is better than another Glock or 1911.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! i recommend looking into the caly3/3.5 or the sage lineup or the chaparral series! enjoy your stay here :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Foghorne

Post by Foghorne »

I should let you know I just ordered a Sage 1 online. Every knife I looked at was nice. Hard to pick which is a good problem. I knew it was the next knife I'd buy, but I like to wait and think about things for a day to prove to myself I am not a compulsive buyer.