Whats the worst cut you got with a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Tonight my (newly sharpened) Santoku bit me hard. Making corn dip tonight while talking to the wife and listening to my son tell us about his day from the dining room. I wasn't giving the blade the attention it felt it deserved, so it bit me. Rocked the pointy heel down into the top of my thumb. I was a super clean cut with moderate bleeding. I am noticing a loss in feeling on top of my finger. Should heal quickly...

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The worst cut I ever got from a folding knife was from a Kershaw Blur (tanto).

This was back in college, when I was first getting into knives and the mall-ninjary still had me under its spell. I was surfing the web and enjoying the AO -- much to the chagrin of my suitemates. Eventually, I had to get up to check on the food I was cooking in the kitchen. As I stood, I fumbled the knife as I tried to close it and it fell on my foot. I wasn't paying close attention but I felt the impact. I thought that a hammer dropped on my big toe and looked down. No blood on my white sock. I assumed that the handle struck my foot and I shuffled off to check on dinner.

As I returned to my desk, I was checking some emails and could feel a slight throb in my toe. I ignored it, however. Then I felt like my toe was wet and I assumed that I had spilled some water on my foot while I was in the kitchen. Finally, it dawned on me that the sock was getting wetter not drier. I looked down and saw that a large, wet blood stain was covering the tip of my sock. :eek:

The tip of the knife had entered so cleanly that the bleeding was delayed. The cut was small but pretty deep. I couldn't get the bleeding to fully stop until the next day. Even then, I had to go to work and the cut would open up while I was on shift. This headache lasted for two weeks, just as I was preparing for my graduation. So yes, I had to resort to walking like I had a peg leg in order to keep the toe stable and allow the cut to close. That was the last assisted opener knife I ever bought and will likely ever own again.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Went fishing one day and was setup my hook and gear. Had to cut the fishing line so I took out my Delica (AUS-8 or G2). Delica slipped out of my hands and the knife stabbed the right side of my calf. Gravity help pull the knife out of my leg as blood started squirting out. It was bleeding for about 30 minutes. No stitches.
Holland

Post by Holland »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:LOL, yeh a Gillette.

As for the stiffness in your finger, I hope that time will move the stiffness to where it's wanted. ;)
rofl!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GreatSyxsuke

Post by GreatSyxsuke »

First time I tried my zip tie modded Cara Cara 2, I had my hand in the wrong position and sliced a nice slit across the top of my pinkie. I also sliced the tip of my thumb at work because I was an idiot and cut towards myself with my Squeak while cutting the tape off a new roll of receipt paper. No stitches either time but both needed multiple bandages and medical tape.
Current carry: Spyderco Squeak or Spyderco Pingo (Back right pocket), Paramilitary 2 Black G10 (front right pocket)

Future wants: Karahawk

"It's far better to carry and never need than to not carry and desperately need."
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

My sister had a few sketchy things happen I her upscale neighborhood and their family did not want a gun in the house. I suggested a Civilian and she grabbed one up and watched the Keating video. We live5 states apart so a year later we were visiting her and on a liquored up whim I say, "Let me see that Civilian." I played with it for a minute or so and pushed the backlock and gave it the flick required to shut my Dfly, Caly 3.5, and Endura. Apparently not that much is required to close the Civie. Blade closes on my fingers and three serrations gouged my finger. It HURT too. Nothing like getting cut with a sharp kitchen knife, more like when I was cut with the lid of a can of beans. It took a long time to stop bleeding too.

Next story was with a Kershaw Leek, before I was Spyder-bit. I was in my office at work and was just about to eat lunch. I decided to cut up some sausage into the soup I was eating and pulled out my 3 day old Leek. I accidentally dropped it tip down into my thigh and it stuck!! I quickly shut the office door and take the knife out and there is half an inch of blood on the tip. Went right through my suit pants. I drop trou and grab some napkins and realize this is worse than I thought but I am trapped by the pants situation in my office. I remembered our HR Manager was a Navy Medic and called to his office, "Bruce, would you mind coming up to my office for a sec?" He walks in and I say "shut the door please" and as soon as he is turning around I roll my chair back from under the desk with my pants at mid-thigh and he about s#!+ himself! Needless to say Uncle Sam taught him how to patch up a flesh wound and I had the nickname "Slash" the rest of my time at that office!
Clip

Post by Clip »

phillipsted wrote: Is there any worse spot to get a cut than the pad of your right thumb? Well, i might think of a couple of spots that would be more painful... :eek: But the cut is on the exact spot where I thumb open my Spydies! So for the next week or so, I'm limited to two-hand openings or Spydie drops. :rolleyes:

TedP

Here's one, the back side of the same thumb. As a lot of others in here, I'd just finished sharpening a ZT0301 to 10000 Chosera with a 1000 micro on the EP. Had a beer and was breaking down the cardboard six-pack carrier and somehow as the knife went down my hand came up. That blade had some weight to it. Cutting towards protruding body parts, bad idea. Three stitches and two weeks later I was better.

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

Ha. I guess todAy was my Friday the 13th.
Today, cutting an Apple with my freshly honed PM2, I sliced the fatty tip off my middle finger five minutes before work started.
Pics to come?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

GTPowers wrote:Ha. I guess todAy was my Friday the 13th.
Today, cutting an Apple with my freshly honed PM2, I sliced the fatty tip off my middle finger five minutes before work started.
Pics to come?
A true knife nut will take pics of a cut before doing anything else. :D
Clip

Post by Clip »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:A true knife nut will take pics of a cut before doing anything else. :D
Only after finishing what he was doing with the knife :)

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

About a year ago I stabbed the meat of my thumb with a delica and got 5 stitches out of the deal. And this one was really, really stupid. I needed to cut some duct tape off of a horizontal section of PVC pipe, so I grabbed the pipe with my right hand and with my left hand stuck the tip of the delica under the edge of the tape, and here is the stupid part, pointing towards my right hand. Knife slips and the delica goes right into my hand and stabs the holy **** out of my thumb. If you look at the shape of the delica blade at the tip then you will know that the cut in the photo is a little bit deeper than it is wide, a good 1/2" to 3/4" of the blade went into my hand. Yep, it hurt a little. Part of the flesh on the surface is still numb. The ER doc told me that I was very lucky to still have use of my thumb.

I sat in the ER waiting room 3+ hours thinking about the stupidity of that maneuver and how it could have been completely avoided. Sometimes you have to do stupid things to remind yourself of why you shouldn't do stupid things.

Ouch by senorsquare, on Flickr

Stupid.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Clip wrote:Only after finishing what he was doing with the knife :)
I couldn't do that I kept bleeding on the cutting board and the wife would have had a duck. I discreetly rinsed, blotted and covered with ice so she wouldn't panic. Later when she saw the cut she cursed me for not going to get stitches. Today, 24 hours later it is already starting to reattach. Stitches are for others in my book.
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I sliced my hand open with a scalpel once by dropping it (brushed me). Five stitches and got VERY close to a large artery in my wrist.

Haven't been bit by a Spydie yet. Call it catlike reflexes, dumb luck, or white collar flicking cowardice. Prob the last two :p .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Blerv wrote:..or white collar flicking cowardice...
This is what's so funny about my recent injury. I can flick my knives daily hundreds of times daily, but a larger than usual (for me) kitchen blade had sharp parts in places I wasn't used to. And that's my story....
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

xceptnl wrote:This is what's so funny about my recent injury. I can flick my knives daily hundreds of times daily, but a larger than usual (for me) kitchen blade had sharp parts in places I wasn't used to. And that's my story....
Can't blame ya there! Kitchen knives and fingers are mortal enemies :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

xceptnl wrote:This is what's so funny about my recent injury. I can flick my knives daily hundreds of times daily, but a larger than usual (for me) kitchen blade had sharp parts in places I wasn't used to. And that's my story....
That's how I took some of my thumbnail off when I was mincing garlic. Funny how a piece of a thumbnail looks a lot like minced garlic, never actually found it...

Chris
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

The worst I ever did was a year and a half ago in the parking lot of a ski resort. I was 100 feet up a small all-weld self support cell tower we had just stacked the previous day, and we were just installing the top part of the fall arrest system on the climbing face of the tower. I was cutting some tape with my right hand, and the load slipped a few inches and my knife slipped with it (My Chaparral 1), and I never felt a thing and didn't think the blade had come anywhere near my left hand which was holding the load to keep it stable. I was wearing thick leather welding gloves, and the knife cut through it and a good 1.5" of my palm right under the thumb like it wasn't there (I had just freshly honed it on the Sharpmaker before heading out to that job and it was scary sharp). Anyways, I noticed a few minutes later when my hand felt warm and blood started dripping out of the bottom of the glove. I took a few minutes to finish installing the anti fall system, and then climbed down the tower. By the time I got to the bottom, all of the fingers of the glove were completely filled with blood. It healed nicely though with just some tape...no stitches...almost no scar, probably because of how sharp it was. It's the only time I've ever cut myself with a Spyderco.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
M80

Post by M80 »

The blade wasn't what cut me it was the hole! :o
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Cut myself on the false edge, 5 stitches