Native 5 110V or Domino What To Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

I've been carrying the Domino for past few weeks. Love playing with it as it is easy to open and close with one hand. Not quite as easy with the Native5. My Forum Native is a little off center and not quite as smooth as my regular Native5. No off-center issues with any of my Taiwan knives either, hence I am a converted believer in the fit and finish of that facility. S110 Domino and it might be too nice to actually use!
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Thanks everyone I will be carrying the Domino from now on, and I have to have a MRI tomorrow morning so the Native might not be here for long sad to say.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Just put this piece of S110V to use.
Yesterday I realized, that after I started to carry 2013 Forum Native I started to cut cardboard boxes on smaller pieces :eek:
Good luck with MRI. Bring us good results.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

bh49 wrote:Just put this piece of S110V to use.
Yesterday I realized, that after I started to carry 2013 Forum Native I started to cut cardboard boxes on smaller pieces :eek:
Good luck with MRI. Bring us good results.
You don't know how many times I have got the Native out and just looked it but I can't bring myself to using it yet. Now with the doctor bills on the rise I don't know how long before I let it go. I am trying to get rid of some other things I have accumulated first but if they don't sell we'll it might just be next. The MRI results won't be in till next week, they gave me a cd rom but I can't tell what's going on in it. Thanks for the concern.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

For some reason, I thought that you had work related injury. I thought that your employer should cover treatment. Otherwise, it is extremely sad. MRI alone is $$$$. I cannot imagine how people with health problem and without insurance can pay their bills. Good luck to you, let's hope everything will be fine, better that expected.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Sorry to hear about your needing an MRI. Bummer.

IRT which knife...you chose well. The Domino is about the best all around EDC from Spyderco I have owned. Great knife. Sure hope you don't have to sell the Forum knife.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

bh49 wrote:For some reason, I thought that you had work related injury. I thought that your employer should cover treatment. Otherwise, it is extremely sad. MRI alone is $$$$. I cannot imagine how people with health problem and without insurance can pay their bills. Good luck to you, let's hope everything will be fine, better that expected.
I was hurt at work in 2000 but there was a settlement and I am not covered anymore. The MRI was not bad here they had me fill out a form containing the cost with insurance and without. With insurance the cost was $1500 without insurance it cost me $275 with out contrasts, so they really rip the insurance co. off. My doctors first office visit was $310 from then on its $140 every month because I have to go every month for blood work and testing because of my diabetes, and all the pain pills I am on. I still have to see another doctor for the nerve damage and he is $180 a visit. So far Florida sucks I should have stayed in Michigan it was only $60 a month plus blood work for my doctor there and he did everything. Oh well I have learned to live with it now but I hate it when I just start to get ahead of everything then everything falls apart in a few weeks. I guess knife collecting in not in my future for quite a while. I won't sell all my knives they can have fun trying to get blood from a stone. Sorry for the ramble I just wanted to know about some steel and look where I ended up. Lol
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

jon1all wrote:Sorry to hear about your needing an MRI. Bummer.

IRT which knife...you chose well. The Domino is about the best all around EDC from Spyderco I have owned. Great knife. Sure hope you don't have to sell the Forum knife.
Thanks yea its my last resort its such a sweet little knife.
Divo

Post by Divo »

Per-Sev wrote:I was hurt at work in 2000 but there was a settlement and I am not covered anymore. The MRI was not bad here they had me fill out a form containing the cost with insurance and without. With insurance the cost was $1500 without insurance it cost me $275 with out contrasts, so they really rip the insurance co. off.
Hi, first sorry to read about your med troubles. Must have a huge impact on daily life.
But for those costs mentioned: Its quite possible its the opposite and you get high discount. Maybe it depends what facility the MRI is done and how things are further processed. Also its possible that or the hospital or the MRI facility has special funds to cover a particular amount for non-insured people. Here you find some info about MRI prices http://www.comparemricost.com/
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Divo wrote:Hi, first sorry to read about your med troubles. Must have a huge impact on daily life.
But for those costs mentioned: Its quite possible its the opposite and you get high discount. Maybe it depends what facility the MRI is done and how things are further processed. Also its possible that or the hospital or the MRI facility has special funds to cover a particular amount for non-insured people. Here you find some info about MRI prices http://www.comparemricost.com/
Thanks, its amazing what you can get use to. I know that in most cases they bid down the price that the insurance company pays depending on coverage and deductible, but still its one reason why we pay so much for health care if you are even lucky enough to have it. I tried to keep my insurance going as long as I could after my injury paying it myself but it got to the point that I was paying more for the insurance than the doctors visit, but of course if I had to pay for a test then that would cost more. So I finally had to cancel my coverage and take my chances.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

So sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope it works out for you. Health care is kind of something we take for granted in our neck of the world but I am no stranger to financial pressures and the combination of the illness and the stress of the finances is certainly not a winning strategy for recovery. You sound like you are coping with it better than most, I applaud you that isn't easy but it is certainly the best approach.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

DRKBC wrote:So sorry to hear about your health problems, I hope it works out for you. Health care is kind of something we take for granted in our neck of the world but I am no stranger to financial pressures and the combination of the illness and the stress of the finances is certainly not a winning strategy for recovery. You sound like you are coping with it better than most, I applaud you that isn't easy but it is certainly the best approach.
Thanks, I was not always this easy going with my injury at first it was hard to cope with the idea that I would not ever work again or be able to do all the things I once could. Now that all the drama is over its just a matter of dealing with what I can do and enjoy my small collection of knives and once in a while getting out on my bicycle. There are many people worse off and have less than myself so I am thankful for what if have and my family. So now that we covered my health lets get back to knives my favorite topic.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Per-Sev wrote:Thanks, I was not always this easy going with my injury at first it was hard to cope with the idea that I would not ever work again or be able to do all the things I once could. Now that all the drama is over its just a matter of dealing with what I can do and enjoy my small collection of knives and once in a while getting out on my bicycle. There are many people worse off and have less than myself so I am thankful for what if have and my family. So now that we covered my health lets get back to knives my favorite topic.
Alrighty well on that topic, I got the news last week that I will be getting a forum knife. So shortly I will be in the same boat. I am already thinking I will not carry it, I have a native 5 so that should give me my native fix. That said I will have to see how tempted I am once it arrives.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

DRKBC wrote:Alrighty well on that topic, I got the news last week that I will be getting a forum knife. So shortly I will be in the same boat. I am already thinking I will not carry it, I have a native 5 so that should give me my native fix. That said I will have to see how tempted I am once it arrives.
Good luck, I was just sitting here watching tv and the Domino and the Native are both sitting here on my table and I just can't decide. I have already carried and used the Domino some but the Native is still mint but its so nice and smooth, the fit and finish is perfect but I will have to restrain myself for now. Congrats on your Forum knife.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Thanks I actually debated the forum knife long and hard. I love my Native5 but it is a little smaller than the knives I usually carry, still when I got the email I was compelled to buy it. This may turn out to be my first safe queen ... time will tell. I think the Domino is a great size for EDC just a little smaller than the Manix2 a little larger than the Native 5. I love the blade shape and the flipper, I think a G10 version of it would be a good call.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DRKBC wrote:Thanks I actually debated the forum knife long and hard. I love my Native5 but it is a little smaller than the knives I usually carry, still when I got the email I was compelled to buy it. This may turn out to be my first safe queen ... time will tell.
For what it worth. I am a big Native5 fan. But before I started EDC it, I carried two larger blades: Persian and Caly3.5. And I love both of these knives. For a long time I was thinking that 3.5" is the perfect size for me. I carried Caly3 for about four years, but when Caly3.5 came out, it sent Caly3 to semi-retirement right away. My original intend for N5 was occasional rotation with Caly3.5. Which never happened. N5 stayed in my pocket. Caly3.5 spend most of the time resting. I still carry Persian most of the days, but Native5 does all cutting. I find it's ergo just perfect for me. The blade is not large, but very capable.

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

bh49 wrote:For what it worth. I am a big Native5 fan. But before I started EDC it, I carried two larger blades: Persian and Caly3.5. And I love both of these knives. For a long time I was thinking that 3.5" is the perfect size for me. I carried Caly3 for about four years, but when Caly3.5 came out, it sent Caly3 to semi-retirement right away. My original intend for N5 was occasional rotation with Caly3.5. Which never happened. N5 stayed in my pocket. Caly3.5 spend most of the time resting. I still carry Persian most of the days, but Native5 does all cutting. I find it's ergo just perfect for me. The blade is not large, but very capable.
It is a great knife and very, very capable and I like how stout it is. The only thing I find is that the handle is a little small for me. I like the size of the Manix or para better for me as I can get a better grip on the handle and I have a few more options as to how I hold the knife. The other thing is that since a bought a military (now 2 with a third on the way) a knife I thought I would never buy because of its size. A strange thing has happened, I love it I probably use at work more than any other knife and now as a result everything seems small :)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DRKBC wrote:It is a great knife and very, very capable and I like how stout it is. The only thing I find is that the handle is a little small for me.
Do you use choil?

DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I do use the choil it pretty much fills my hand in that grip so as a result that is really the only grip that I use on the Native 5. I like having a little more handle there, just a personal preference I guess. The Domino for me is better in that respect. Still don't get me wrong I like the Native 5 a lot and it is nice to have a really compact knife in my rotation. I prefer it over similar sized knives like say the Caly 3 as I like the thicker handle.

I am looking forward to the Forum knife, excited to see the handle scales. I would like to say I am anxious to use it but I just don't think I will as I kind of want to preserve it, I have my regular native 5 to use so this one may just stay parked in the garage, I don't know though I guess I will make that choice after I get it.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

You guys a killing me, here I was all set and was carrying the Domino and now with all the Native talk I am starting to second guess myself. Well my birthday is in Nov. so maybe I can score a Native 5 with S35VN if I can talk my family into pooling the money just for one gift. Alright carry on, I like to use the choil on the Domino better than just getting a 3 finger grip but even that's not to bad, but I get much better control with the choil its almost like using a sub hilt to me.