The Ulize has landed

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Evil D wrote:Well it just dawned on me why they had to go with the clip with the lanyard hole. The pivots crew is domed so that hole has to be there to allow the a crews to poke through..
LOL!! You beat me to it and totally made it clear why they did that! Thanks Evil D!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Both of you make such great observations. Thanks for posting! I can't help but wonder if this is why spyderco chose the Ulize as the prize. They knew they had a winner on their hands but just needed to get them out there somehow? Clever marketing if they were right. As for me, I'm still waiting for mine!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DJFrostbyte wrote:Also the clip has a hole for a lanyard hole but there is no lanyard hole in the knife. Having no lanyard hole does not bother me, but I can't help but wonder why spyderco used this clip design with the hole cut out.
Yeah, you go t it :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Evil D wrote:Well it just dawned on me why they had to go with the clip with the lanyard hole. The pivots crew is domed so that hole has to be there to allow the a crews to poke through..
The same is true also for the Police G-10 and theDelica 4 Damascus.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Any other calendar winners receive their prize yet?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Got mine yesterday. Be patient, Liquid Cobra ;) .
Liquid Cobra wrote:Any other calendar winners receive their prize yet?
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Any other calendar winners receive their prize yet?
I keep hearing the "Blame Canada" song from the South Park movie lol.

Today I switched mine to tip down carry. It's definitely easier to get to the thumb hole this and it changes it so that the shape follows the out like of your pocket better.
~David
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Congrats on the Calendar win and your new knife.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I can add this to the growing list of reasons I wish I were an American. Wec12, patience is not one of my virtues unfortunately :(

@liquid_cobra
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

****, love how thin it isand the blade shape. Great looking knife
oj8

Post by oj8 »

I am going to have to get me one of those. I like the blade shape. I want too many spydies for me to decide. :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well it's back to tip up. I also EDC a stainless pen that rides next to my EDC knife and couldn't stand the metal pen hitting the blade every time I put it in my pocket.
~David
tap78

Post by tap78 »

i'm still waiting for minę :-)
My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I can add this to the growing list of reasons I wish I were an American. Wec12, patience is not one of my virtues unfortunately :(
Look who's complaining :) I have to wait a least another 2 weeks :p
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I finally got a chance to put mine to use today at work. It slices pretty dang well for not being all that thin behind the edge. I really like the ergonomics...that is ultimately what stands out about this knife to me. It just fits my hand really well. On most knives I immediately start finding areas that I might tweak the G10 a little to suit the size and shape of my hand better, but I haven't had that urge yet.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Glad to hear its working for you. I'll just live vicariously through your posts until mine arrives David.

IG-88 and Tap78, I feel your pain. My Ulize doesn't have to cross an ocean!

@liquid_cobra
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:My Ulize doesn't have to cross an ocean!
If it was due to the ocean it would be OK. But seen this is all send by plane. Its only a 8 hours flight across. Customs is the problem :( I got a Meerkat last week that reached me from the US in 4 days because it didn't pass customs for some reason. Belgian Customs takes up to 2 weeks to process a package. If you have taxes to pay count 2 weeks extra (which shouldn't be the case in this knife)
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

I received my Ulize when it was first released and it instantly nudged its way into my top ten list. Love the negative blade angle, gently curved handle, and overall ergonomics. IMHO the Ulize ranks as one of the more elegant looking designs made by Spyderco. I thought I would miss a 50/50 choil like on the Police 3, but after all this time it hasn't even been a consideration.

I carry mine comfortably tip down in my RRP OR IWB approx. 5 o'clock. On long knives such as this and the Police 3, I position the clip for tip down carry because it greatly facilitates quick middle finger flick opening (my prefered method to open) by offering my fourth finger a ledge to rest on and gain counter leverage. The Ulize was a bit tight at first, but with practice and technique (follow thru strongly with the the middle finger), i can make the blade fly open.
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

Just received the Ulize today.
Very nice piece, thanx a lot to Spyderco!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MarcusH wrote:Just received the Ulize today.
Very nice piece, thanx a lot to Spyderco!
Congrats man. I'm still waiting. You're in Germany??? Now I'm getting worried, I wonder what the hold up could be?

@liquid_cobra