My first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tk59194

My first Spyderco

Post by tk59194 »

Hello all,
just found your wonderful forum. I have always been a fan of knives ever since I can remember. I have owned countless buck knives, several generic and currently own many Esees, a Bark River, a few customs, a SAK, a couple of SOGs, and many more (too many to list). I am Active duty in the military and find myself carrying mostly fixed blade knives for EDC. I am always on the search for "the perfect knife". Recently I decided to try a folding knife for EDC. I researched the boards/forums and narrowed my search down to a Spyderco Delica 4 in SS. I ordered it through Amazon for a little under $80.00 and should be receiving it in a few days. I already own the Spyderco Sharpmaker, and while I am not very good at using it yet, I am a little excited to try it out on an actual Spyderco Knife. I am also a little worried that when I receive this knife I am going to fall in love with it and it is going to spark an obsession with the knife that will fuel an urge to purchase more of them. The wife already does not understand my need to continuously buy knives. I suspect this will not help the matter at all. Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. Travis
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I am also a little worried that when I receive this knife I am going to fall in love with it and it is going to spark an obsession with the knife that will fuel an urge to purchase more of them.
Yep.

Welcome to the forums!
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Hi Travis, thank you for your service, what branch are you in? Don't worry about your wife, they'll never understand. Just ask her why she needs so many shoes/purses.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!! Good info and people here!!...and another one bites the dust!! John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Post by Fresh Eddie Fresh »

Janfrederik wrote:Yep.

Welcome to the forums!
+1 I used to have a handful of various brands of knives but after I got my first Spyderco (a Native FRN) it was all over for me... now I have a full on collection! :)
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

@Cereal_killer, I am an Infantry Officer in the Army. Unfortunately my wife is also an Officer in the Army and does not buy purses or shoes. In fact she rarely ever buys anything for herself, sigh. Maybe I'll buy her a spyderco too.
Cereal_killer

Post by Cereal_killer »

Well thank you to both of you.

Does she carry a knife currently? There are several pink and purple models, my wife keeps a purple delica in her purse and for her upcoming birthday I'm either giving her a Pink dragonfly or making pink G10 scales for the delica. If she doesn't currently carry a knife I bet she will use it a lot more than she thinks. Use to when my wife needed something cut she would look at me, now she looks for her purse.
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

She currently carries a CRKT Folts minimalist, maybe she would like the dragonfly.
jeru

Post by jeru »

Welcome. My primary advice would be: get a Military! Any. And your wife a Para2 :)
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Thank you for the advice. I will check the military out.
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum! I carried an old first generation SS Endura for a long time, until it was sacrificed to the Lake Gods. Then when I went looking for a replacement, the great wide world of Spyderco was opened to me, and I haven't been the same since. I like my knives from several companies that I collect. But I'm ADDICTED to Spyderco!

Be very, very careful. Once you go Spydie, you don't go back.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Welcome to the forum tk, and I'd also like to extend my thanks to you and your wife for your service to this country.

I second the choice of a Military or a PM2 for your next potential purchase (and yes, you will buy another, and another...). If you're in need of a larger blade then the Millie is absolutely a super great choice, but I like to play with the compression locks on the PM2 more. Of course, the best way for you to know is to get them both and try for yourself! My wife just loves her purple Delica, plus there are lots of other colors for that model. The best way to get your wife to understand all this is to get her infected with a Spyder bite as well! Cheers!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Welcome Travis! Good to have you here.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Thank you for all the advice guys. I am a member of several forums, but this is without a doubt the warmest welcome I've ever received on an online forum.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Welcome! Try something serrated from the Salt series too!
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Travis, thanks for your (& your wife's) service to our country. I'm a proud "infantry dad" but our son is doing a term at Ft. Jackson as a drill sergeant for now. Keep an eye on the Delica, because it may find its way into your wife's pocket sooner or later. I'm new to the world of Spyderco as well, but they can become a hobby without too much caution. Another vote for the Para 2, or even (gasp) the Gayle Bradley for a fancy, high end super-slicer. Welcome!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum. You seem like you'll have a good time here. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome. The Delica sets the standard IMO for Spyderco knives. For any other brand also I suppose. It has to be one of the perfect EDC folding knives around. Other than needing a knife for specific cutting needs (possibly work needs) the Delica is a great all-around knife. Congratulations.

The stainless steel model knives leave the option of having a scale put on the knife later if your want another apearance or grip. :)
tk59194

Post by tk59194 »

Jackknifeh-are you saying the stainless steel scales come off, or you can put scales on top of the stainless steel? Can you tell me where to find these options or more information regarding this mod?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

tk59194 wrote:Jackknifeh-are you saying the stainless steel scales come off, or you can put scales on top of the stainless steel? Can you tell me where to find these options or more information regarding this mod?
New scales would be either glued to the SS or screwed if the ss handle is tapped for screws. I don't remember who does work like this but there are a few people here that should remember the names of the artists. There is a thread just for modifications to Spyderco knives here and I'm sure the people who do really great work are mentioned there. Here's the link. http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... -your-mods! Or it can be found under the Spyderco picture gallery forum.

PS edit:
I have a Spyderco bug. They have ss handles and I tried to put some decoration on my bug with my Dremel. I now have the UGLIEST bug in the world. So if you can't find anyone to engrave a scene on your knife handle (or blade), I volunteer. :D