Native 5 110V or Domino What To Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Per-Sev

Native 5 110V or Domino What To Carry

Post by Per-Sev »

I have been torn between the Native 5 forum and the Domino since I decided to carry a smaller knife than my Tuff.
This will be my primary EDC I don't usually rotate my knives so I just can't decide which one to carry, I have had the Domino in my pocket today but I keep getting out the Native and looking at it. I like both of them equal but I only want to scratch up one of them, so please don't say carry them both. I have never carried more than one knife and since I moved to Florida and wear light weight shorts with only two front pockets most of the time the other pocket is for my light, so here's my dilemma the Native 5 with 110V blade or the mighty Domino flipper. Which one would be less likely to have any problems like cleaning out the pivot both have very different pivots and locks. The size is close enough so that's not a issue for me and aside from the flipper on the Domino they both open just as smooth and fast. See what I mean I just can't decide, so let me here what the masses say. Thanks
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Neither should be a problem keeping dirt out of the pivot, but the Domino, being open backed, will be easier to flush clean over all. Unless you have a specific dirty application in mind, this wouldn't be my personal deciding factor for my EDC. As far as picking one, it may sound like a copout, but put both on your dresser and pick one up in the morning on your way out. If you find yourself alternating between them regularly, then keep both out and, well, alternate. Keep them both, you don't have to carry them both daily.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

I carry the Domino in the front pocket, and the Native in my back pocket w/ my wallet. But if you don't wanna carry both, can't help ya :D
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

vaisforlovers wrote:Neither should be a problem keeping dirt out of the pivot, but the Domino, being open backed, will be easier to flush clean over all. Unless you have a specific dirty application in mind, this wouldn't be my personal deciding factor for my EDC. As far as picking one, it may sound like a copout, but put both on your dresser and pick one up in the morning on your way out. If you find yourself alternating between them regularly, then keep both out and, well, alternate. Keep them both, you don't have to carry them both daily.
No its not a cop out but my one reason for not wanting to use both knives is just in case I need to sell one it will be in mint condition and I will get more for it. It seems that every time I get something nice I have to sell it to pay a doctors bill, I am not in very good health anymore so I just want to be safe, right now I have some extra cash so I bought a few knives in hopes that I won't have any bills for a while.
ZL1 wrote:I carry the Domino in the front pocket, and the Native in my back pocket w/ my wallet. But if you don't wanna carry both, can't help ya :D
The only other problem with that is I don't have back pockets in the shorts I wear everyday, unless I buy new shorts with more pockets but I don't usually buy clothes with extra money I get I buy knives instead.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

What a terribly awful problem to have... :rolleyes:
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I would say in your case if you like them both equally carry the Domino and save the forum knife, you will get more for it. Buy a regular Native 5 if you really miss having the Native.

I have both the Domino and the Native 5 (Native 5 not the forum native 5) I like both but if I had to choose one, well I wouldn't really like to. The Domino is a little larger which I like but the native is more of a user if I was to get all practical about it.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Rwb1500 wrote:What a terribly awful problem to have... :rolleyes:
Yea I know, I wish all my problems could be handled in a forum this easy.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

DRKBC wrote:I would say in your case if you like them both equally carry the Domino and save the forum knife, you will get more for it. Buy a regular Native 5 if you really miss having the Native.

I have both the Domino and the Native 5 (Native 5 not the forum native 5) I like both but if I had to choose one, well I wouldn't really like to. The Domino is a little larger which I like but the native is more of a user if I was to get all practical about it.
I agree that the Forum knife would bring more money right now unless they don't make anymore flippers then the Domino would be worth a lot. I have both knives sitting here and I just can't decide, maybe I should just flip a coin and be done with it.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

How about keep the Domino, sell the forum knife, buy a regular native 5 with half of the money you get from the sale of the forum knife win, win, win :)
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

DRKBC wrote:How about keep the Domino, sell the forum knife, buy a regular native 5 with half of the money you get from the sale of the forum knife win, win, win :)
Its a option is the Forum knife worth twice as much as a regular Native 5, I would have to get around $260 for the Forum knife to be able to do that. I don't think the Forum knives are selling for that much yet, maybe on eBay but then you have to pay a fee to sell it there. Like I said before selling one of them is really only if I have to so if I don't have to yet I still need to decide what one to carry.
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

I have been trying both knives out drawing them from my pocket and I have noticed that the Native tends to be harder to draw because of the texture of the G10 scales, sometimes it pulls my pocket inside out, has anyone else had this happen and do you think after carrying for a while it might tend to wear out the pocket more so than the Domino will. The Domino has a pretty stiff clip also but its smooth titanium doesn't grab my pocket as much.
So that might be one point for the Domino.
One other concern is sharping the 110V blade I heard is not a easy task but on the other hand it should not need sharpened as often. It came very sharp I heard some delivered were not so I guess I got lucky there so if I do carry it I hope its a long time before I have to sharpen it.
Well I am still not much closer to decide what to carry so I guess I will sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow. Maybe I should just put them both away and get the Tuff out again. :eek:
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

The Domino. It's easier to replace, and the Native is easily worth $50 more. If you sell it in ten years? Well, that forum Millie went for $1000+... :)
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

Pockets wrote:The Domino. It's easier to replace, and the Native is easily worth $50 more. If you sell it in ten years? Well, that forum Millie went for $1000+... :)
Wow that's a nice profit, I am leaning towards the Domino right now only because it seems to be easier to draw from my pocket with the ti scale instead of the textured G10 on the Native.
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

The knives are very similar in blade shape and ergonomics so this is an easy one, assuming you like both lockbacks and flippers. The Forum Native was either a Sprint run or a Special Edition and will probably never be made again. The Domino is going to be a great seller like the Sage 2 and will probably be around for a long time. In the future if you have to pay a doctor bill the Forum Native is going to bring you a higher price. I've seen them on the forums for up to $300. I would use the Domino and baby the Native.
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

In a perfect world the Domino would have come out with S110V.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ken44

Post by Ken44 »

Per-Sev wrote: I have never carried more than one knife and since I moved to Florida and wear light weight shorts with only two front pockets most of the time the other pocket is for my light, so here's my dilemma the Native 5 with 110V blade or the mighty Domino flipper.
Per-Sev wrote:I have been trying both knives out drawing them from my pocket and I have noticed that the Native tends to be harder to draw because of the texture of the G10 scales, sometimes it pulls my pocket inside out, has anyone else had this happen and do you think after carrying for a while it might tend to wear out the pocket more so than the Domino will. The Domino has a pretty stiff clip also but its smooth titanium doesn't grab my pocket as much.
So that might be one point for the Domino.

After reading this I would go with the Domino. I wear light weight shorts in the summer at times too, and the texture of Spyderco G10 doesn't work so well for me with those type of shorts. I always grab my Sage 1 since it slides in and out like butter and doesn't come loose.
I also sanded a place down under the clip on a S30V G10 Military. Its works OK, but it won't work as well as the Domino or Sage with light shorts/light warm-up's.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

since the main issue seems to be coming down to which to save in case of needing money...use the Domino. The Forum Native is only going to go up in value.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There will only ever be as many 2013 Forum Natives as exist today. There may be less as years go by, but there will never be more. All earlier Spyderco Forum knives have increased significantly in value. It's likely that more Dominos than that already exist, and, unless something totally unexpected and disastrous happens, there will be considerably more of them in the future. Chances of a significant increase in value are remote, at best. So, given your situation and from a purely logical economic standpoint, it would be more sensible to keep the Forum Native V in pristine condition.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

make one your weekend carry. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:In a perfect world the Domino would have come out with S110V.
And will be made in Golden, in my perfect world.
Back to original topic: carry the knife, which you will enjoy the most.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian