Favorite Fixed Blade, or Folder for Personal Protection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Favorite Fixed Blade, or Folder for Personal Protection

Post by akapennypincher »

What's your favorite?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

As dumb as this will sound to many, the Caly 3.5 because I always have it making sales calls, am utterly familiar with it, it is quite capable, and it is benign looking. If you stuck an Endura blade in a G10 Delica handle and sent the resulting knife to prep school for a semester, you would have the Caly 3.5. I would have to say the Emerson La Griffe for a fixed blade strictly for SD. Its carnage to size ratio is off the charts!
jeru

Post by jeru »

Fixed: Smith & Wesson H.R.T. Badge Knife SWHRT2B (serrated hawkbill)
Folder: Cold Steel Rajah II 62KG
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Matriarch 2 Emerson/Wave
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The whale rescue blade attached to a 12ft pole darn pesky orcas and those fin whales always waiting to get a sneaky attack in ;) .
There are numerous threads on defence edc but tbh its a contentious issue as far as I'm concerned .
Sure I'd rather have a knife than nothing , I've posted before I've been attacked with a machete I have scars and the guy got hurt and a long sentence .
I've practiced Silat and that really didn't kick in just natural reflex is what helped then it crept in , I'd personally say train in a specific MA .
Learn what is basic if that's all you want or keep at it using designated knife like a karambit , after a discussion I had with someone returning to the dessert in oct .
We both decided and he's on his 3rd tour and seen CQC a long thick fixed , with a sharpened top swedge is a good all rounder .
Maybe if its a spyderco a warrior or a modded temperance although idk how or if putting a swedge on one would weaken it .
It is horses for courses there's no definitive answer for a multitude of possibilities , your local carry laws etc come into play etc ...ect.
Experience in real life scenarios training muscle memory is all good though and I'm just pulling your leg on the whale thing .
Its them **** crack squirrels you've got to watch out for :D .
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I don't prefer a fixed or folding. Sliders are way more effective IMO. The polished slider on my Kahr 45 works really well and I have never cut myself handling it! :D ;)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

xceptnl wrote:I don't prefer a fixed or folding. Sliders are way more effective IMO. The polished slider on my Kahr 45 works really well and I have never cut myself handling it! :D ;)
This.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

xceptnl wrote:I don't prefer a fixed or folding. Sliders are way more effective IMO. The polished slider on my Kahr 45 works really well and I have never cut myself handling it! :D ;)
Is "slider" a common term, or am I just very sheltered? I'd never heard it before today.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Janfrederik wrote:Is "slider" a common term, or am I just very sheltered? I'd never heard it before today.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_slide
I see, said the blind man.
Janfrederik

Post by Janfrederik »

I figured that out after a quick Google search, I just wasn't sure if it was a commonly used term, or if he was just being witty.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Janfrederik wrote:I figured that out after a quick Google search, I just wasn't sure if it was a commonly used term, or if he was just being witty.
I think it was this one :)
its called a slide.
I see, said the blind man.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Yep, the HK USPc 45, then whatever knife I have if I can't outrun the punk.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Janfrederik wrote:Is "slider" a common term, or am I just very sheltered? I'd never heard it before today.
A slider is a parachute reefing device: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slider_(parachuting) :)

For what it's worth, my summer EDC is also a Kahr, and it's never cut me either. But the slide on my winter EDC (G23) has bitten me several times at the range.
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I just posted this response in a near identical thread, but here it is again...

Typically this one, although it's not a Spyderco;

I do also carry a knife, mostly to aid in retaining my primary weapon;

Or;

Also a big fan of the Kabar TDI.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It was ment to be a witty play on words.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

VG-10 dynamic duo

Post by JD Spydo »

I truly hope to GOD above that I never ever have to use a knife ( or even a gun for that matter) for self defense. But I am a fervent believer in the Second Amendment of the USA Earth Constiitution>> therefore I do have 2 Spyderco blades I carry when I feel that things are nor right or there is a potential for trouble that I carry quite often lately.

My favorite folder that I would want to deploy for SD is without a doubt my Spyderco C-60 Ayoob, G-10 handled Sprint version. The Ayoob was created by one of the foremost firearms expert and that being Massad Ayoob himself and Mr. Ayoob certainly had defense in mind when designing it. The ergos of that knife feel so natuaral that I would feel very confident with it if I had to use it for such an occasion should it arise. Not to mention it is one super outdoor, hunting and fishing folder as well.

In the fixed blade category I have a preference for my Spyderco Perrin Streetbeat model. Another blade made with VG-10 blade steel and another blade designed by a very revered man in the field of self defense as well as a prominent martial arts expert and that being Fred Perrin.

The Streetbeat isn't much longer than many of Spyderco's folders but it is very ergonomically designed. And again the G-10 Sprint Ayoob folder just has a feeling so natural that I can't imagine anyone designing a blade better than the C-60 Spyderco model. The Ayoob and the Streetbeat are what I refer to as my "VG-10 Dynamic Duo".
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
EggsnBacon

Post by EggsnBacon »

akapennypincher wrote:What's your favorite?
The only time I think about having a knife for self defense is when I'm in the sticks, and I'm not thinking about defending myself against other humans. In those cases I almost always have a fixed blade, recently it's been mule teams and before that it was a Benchmade Nimravus. The mule teams are nice because the edge is short enough to be legal everywhere in my state and obviously the exotic steels are fun :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This one...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

...it protects me from hunger on a daily basis. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Per-Sev

Post by Per-Sev »

My Domino and my Raven combat cane. If I can't take the knife because of its a court house or airplane I can always have one of my canes with me. I also have Canemaster canes, one is my airplane cane its just a tough piece of Hickory and is none threatening looking but is super strong. Being disabled has two advantages one you get great parking and two you can carry a cane anywhere without question.
I Have A High Art: I Hurt With Cruelty Those Who Wound Me. Archilochus 650 BC.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I think the best fixie is the SWICK 2, and the best folder is the bi-fold or the Introvert that will be coming in the future. Those knives are near impossible to strip from the hand, or dislodge, and the blade angle makes them very good for crossadas and MBC.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy