Citadel or Embassy?

Discussion of Restricted Models by Spyderco.
Esau4x4

Post by Esau4x4 »

I have a Embassy, my first Spyderco auto. I have one issue with my Embassy that I feel needs to be addressed.
The auto works as designed in a clean enviroment, but when I carry in the dunes a little sand will render the auto useless. The push button will not release the blade no matter what you do. The only remedy I have found for this is to wash the knife under running water and it will allow everything to work again. I then dry the knife and re-oil it. After this process the auto works smooth as it was designed. Definatley a knife I would not rely on for sd in a field enviroment. Just my 2 cents.
racer88

Post by racer88 »

SQSAR wrote:I have both a 92 Citadel and an all black PE Embassy. Both are nice, but both fill a slightly different niche for me. 1st let me say that if I had to choose only one, it would be the Embassy, hands down. It feels more robust in hand, despite its smaller size, and I 'feel' its a little better quality. I typically carry it as a pseudo gent's folder when I'm at work.

The Citadel is nice and light, and has a more utilitarian feel to it. I like the longer length for SD applications, should they arise. I typically carry the Citadel on the rare occasion when I'm in uniform, or on the not so rare occasion when I'm at work in 5.11s or BDUs.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of autos. However, when I saw Spyderco was making them, I knew I had to have one (and eventually got two). I'm glad I did , because I feel they bring the Spyderco quality and design refinement to the auto table. You can't go 'wrong' with either one, but personally I like the Embassy better.
I agree with this assessment. I bought them just because they are "taboo," not to mention cool. I haven't carried any of them. Ironically, I can open a regular Spydie much more quickly than an auto. But, they are cool nonetheless.

SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

SQSAR wrote:1st let me say that if I had to choose only one, it would be the Embassy, hands down...
I'm with you 100%. I tested and demoed both at the knife shop, and the Embassy just felt better to me. More solid and a beautiful mixture of G10, S30V, and anodized aluminum. The Citadel is a great knife, don't get me wrong. But the Embassy just feels better to me. So much so, that I spent another $200 and grabbed a second. Both black, on spyderedged and one plain (nearly a Wharncliffe, which blade shape I adore.
SHardcastle

Post by SHardcastle »

DasFriek, did you end up picking a Spyderco auto? If so, what did you go with and how was/is it?