Native Lightweight

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
senorsquare

Native Lightweight

Post by senorsquare »

sal wrote:Eric and I are usually carrying and testing prptotypes. Today we are testing the Native Light weight.

sal
Do tell Sal. I'm very curious to hear some more details on this one. Is it based on the Native 5? Will it have FRN, CF or G10 scales? What steel will it have? FFG?

I have to say a Native 5 that weighs less than 3 oz. is something I could get REALLY excited about.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I thought that this one was over a year out after talking to Eric at blade. I have to say that it is one of the most anticipated new models for me. I can't wait to see how it turns out and I really hope it has a swedge.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I hope we get an interesting color for the lightweight native. Dark Royal blue or Burgundy would be cool.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
klug932000

Post by klug932000 »

einstein2001 wrote:I hope we get an interesting color for the lightweight native. Dark Royal blue or Burgundy would be cool.
+1
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

2.46 oz and a 4-way clip? Hmm ... I wonder if there are steel liners? :confused:

I guess this rules out a wire clip, too. Poopy. :(
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

I am glad to hear that it is coming along and these should never get rushed. The desired end result of getting it right is more important. Is there enough time to consider it in another steel? Perhaps CPM154, another American steel fit for the Native and I'd like to see this steel in a Spyderco. S35vn is fine also of course.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.
-Leonard Nimoy
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

D1omedes wrote:2.46 oz and a 4-way clip? Hmm ... I wonder if there are steel liners? :confused:

I guess this rules out a wire clip, too. Poopy. :(
The current FRN Native Lightweight weighs a bit more (2.65 oz) so, unless FRCP weighs significantly less than FRN, I think we can rule out steel liners. OTOH, I would not rule out a 4 way wire clip. The Des Horn mounts a wire clip on the pivot bolt, so a tip down wire clip is not impossible and I'm inclined to think FRCP is probably not any better than FRN, G-10, CF, and Micarta when it comes to screw retention.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

sal wrote:It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
That sounds excellent Sal, but any thoughts on the swedge? Thanks for the update.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

The Deacon wrote:The current FRN Native Lightweight weighs a bit more (2.65 oz) so, unless FRCP weighs significantly less than FRN, I think we can rule out steel liners. OTOH, I would not rule out a 4 way wire clip. The Des Horn mounts a wire clip on the pivot bolt, so a tip down wire clip is not impossible and I'm inclined to think FRCP is probably not any better than FRN, G-10, CF, and Micarta when it comes to screw retention.
Thanks for the clarification, Deacon. There's still hope. :)

What are your thoughts on FRCP vs FRN?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

D1omedes wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Deacon. There's still hope. :)

What are your thoughts on FRCP vs FRN?
Truthfully, at this point, I prefer FRN. Never beat on it hard enough to find out for sure, but FRCP just seems brittle to me. Manix 2 Lightweight makes a very disconcerting "crackling" sound if I squeeze the handle. May be nothing, but it just doesn't inspire confidence. Plus, while transparent handles may be helpful on a store display/demonstrator knife, outside of that I think they make a knife like a kid's toy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

I like FRN better, I think it is more wear resistant. A light weight FFG Native 5 could be the knife to beat the delica. About the same blade length, but with a forward finger choil like in the byrd meadowlark. Good weight and ergos... this could be great! I'd love to see some different colors offered, as long as one of them is blue!!!!
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Considering the weight, most likely no liners. S35N and probably black handle will be the best for production model, but I really hope to see more colors and steels in sprints.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

What about the Native slip it? Any word on that?
On the hunt for...
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

J had what must have been one of the first Natives ever made years ago. If memory serves me correctly it had frn handles S30v blade with swedge and I paid around $40 for it new.I liked the swedge because it looked really cool however since I've never had one with ffg I wouldn't trying one of those.
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

sal wrote:The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
This sounds very promising. Basically taking my favorite elements of the Native 5 and Delica and combining them into one knife. Can't wait to see this one.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

So we have:

- 2.46 Oz weight
- Native 5 Lock
- 4 Way Clip
- Co-Polymer Injection Molded Handle (FRN Vs. FRCP)
- S35V Steel Blade
- Almost sure No Steel Liners. Ti Liners maybe?
- And I guess it'll keep the Lanyard Hole, no inner tube.

What's not to like?
:D
Stay Sharp!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:What about the Native slip it? Any word on that?
OMG, YES!! Please! The orange one whose pic made the rounds recently was beautiful!!!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Holland

Post by Holland »

sal wrote:It's certainly taken longer than intended, but that is often the case. We'd prefer not to pull the trigger until we know it's as right as a new model can be. We had a time making the mold. The model is a co-polymer injection molded handle. The lock is the Native5 lock. 2.46 oz. 4 way clip. The model we're testing is S35VN.

sal
that is super exciting! i cant wait for some supersteel sprints in this model :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blackhawk30

Post by Blackhawk30 »

What are you guyd talking about?Spyderco already makes a Native Lightweight.Are you talking about a lightweight version of the current lightweight?