Blue G10 Lava

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

twinboysdad wrote:I don't support your philosophy, but don't condemn you either. If I have a pre-order with someone, I would not drop it and buy elsewhere. Those folks might have been ordering an estimated order based on pre-orders. I buy all my Spydies at either the same online store or my local B&M. I try to throw a purchase or two at the locals for letting me handle the merchandise and my loyalty to this online dealer is because he took a return based solely on me not liking it as much as I thought and then explained that they never resale returned knives.

Looking very forward to the Lava and will have to decide between the Cruwear Mil and it
I don't fell bad about it, from what I've read KC has a tendency to over sell their pre orders anyway. I've only done that on hot spyders that are expected to go quickly.
I wish I had a local knife shop to support. I haven't found a shop around me yet that sells Spyderco.
[table="width: 1100, align: left"]
[tr]
[td][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/td]
[td]Cruwear Military, CTS-204P Para 2, K390 Mule
Southard, Techno, Sage 2, Gayle Bradley
Super Blue Caly 3, Caly 3.5, Endura and G10 Ladybug
ZDP-189 G10 Dragonfly, ZDP-189 Nishijin Dragonfly
[HR][/HR]:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I can't wait. I've been checking in every day hoping to see an update.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

twinboysdad wrote:I don't support your philosophy, but don't condemn you either. If I have a pre-order with someone, I would not drop it and buy elsewhere. Those folks might have been ordering an estimated order based on pre-orders. I buy all my Spydies at either the same online store or my local B&M. I try to throw a purchase or two at the locals for letting me handle the merchandise and my loyalty to this online dealer is because he took a return based solely on me not liking it as much as I thought and then explained that they never resale returned knives.

Looking very forward to the Lava and will have to decide between the Cruwear Mil and it
Except for the B&M part, I'm with you, and that's only because I've never had the luxury of living near a B&M Spyderco dealer.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:With Spyderco's sales records these days, I doubt that many of these retailers would notice someone dropping out somewhere on the pre-order lists for these upcoming knives. There seems to be throngs of folks ready to take their place. I do agree with you though twinsboysdad about loyalty to your chosen online retailer, although I confess I do flirt with three or four of them on a regular basis... Each have their particular strengths in item availability, price and who gets the new coolest thing first.

It's been a roller coaster season of new knives from Spyderco this year, I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves for next year :) . I too am super excited to see the lava flow, mahalo nui loa Chad and Sal!
einstein2001 wrote:I don't fell bad about it, from what I've read KC has a tendency to over sell their pre orders anyway. I've only done that on hot spyders that are expected to go quickly.
I wish I had a local knife shop to support. I haven't found a shop around me yet that sells Spyderco.
It's not about how the dealer would feel, or how the decision can be rationalized. Sure, it's no where near in the same league as cancelling an order for a suit that's been custom tailored for you, but it's still something not everyone's personal ethics would allow them to consider doing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DJFrostbyte

Post by DJFrostbyte »

Hey, not to bring back an old thread back from the dead, but anyone hear anything about this Blue Lava Sprint? I've had mine on pre-order from KnifeCenter for about a month now and I keep getting emails from them telling me that my order is still in process and that it will be shipped when inventory is received. I thought this was supposed to be an August release... and August is about over? Anyone?
Endura 4 FFG - Delica 4 FFG - Sage 3 - Dragonfly Salt - Forum Native - Manix 2 LW - Manix 2 G10 - Tenacious - Persistence - Ambitious - Byrd Meadowlark G10 - Cat - C13 Pro Grip - Delica C11PBK - Atlantic Salt - Navigator - Para 2 Camo - Delica C11PBLE - White Endura Sprint - Mule MT05P - Delica 4 FFG - Salsa - Native 5 Ti - UKPK - Sage 1 - Dragonfly G10
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

KnifeCenter IMO is the biggest scam in pre-order dealings. I had the same thing happen to me with the Orange Dodo. Month, and months after normal pre-orders were closed at other sites, KC was still accepting them. Keep your eyes pealed when they're released.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
Donut

Post by Donut »

It doesn't hurt to have a pre-order with Knifecenter, but keep an eye out at the normal dealers. Knifecenter is usually not one of the first dealers to get a sprint in. Try to secure your order at another dealer, then cancel your order with Knifecenter or leave it if you want to use them to try and get a second one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

I don't think Spyderco has released any dates for their Sprints this year other than what some retailers have listed and they've all been off by months.
IIRC some retailers had the Cruwear Military and Endura for a May release.
[tr]
-Brandon

[/td]

[/tr]
[/table]
Donut

Post by Donut »

I know you don't mean cruwear endura, but I gasped when I read it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Donut wrote:I know you don't mean cruwear endura, but I gasped when I read it.
That wouldn't ever happen, would it, I mean American steel on a Japanese-made knife? I thought that knives made in Seki and Moki used mainly locally-obtained steels (local on the global scale, that is). Please someone correct me if I am wrong, because I would love to see a Caly 3.5 sporting some of the Carpenter or Crucible super steels, perhaps with that red diamond-textured G10 we've been lobbying to go onto the next Caly Jr. sprint.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
moeman

Post by moeman »

Got mine!!

:woohoo:

Thanks Sal!!!!
mama

Post by mama »

That is so neat looking! Why do these funky knives always come out when I have no money. :(
Maybe I just never have money haha.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Nice pics moeman!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

moeman - What's that Swiss Army thing in your pic? Nice pics, by the way.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Oof, that's hot! I can't wait to read and watch some reviews of this knife!
dres_x

Post by dres_x »

**** that looks sweet!
moeman

Post by moeman »

Jazz wrote:moeman - What's that Swiss Army thing in your pic? Nice pics, by the way.
It is a belt loop/hook. I have a small leather fob attached to it that holds a top.
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Blue Lava with a Mini Villain in Deep Water acrylic. Funky, little, belly, blue. So cool. And I hate lock backs. Thanks Spyderco.

No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

Just a couple initial observations. I'm a nitpicker so likely not a big deal to most people. Overall the knife looks great. Lines are fine.

There are three mehs.

The Spydie hole is sharp. This provides a secure thumb grip though and considering the strong snap from the back lock, it's good to have a secure grip.

The Spyderco VG-10 stamp is kind of funny. Imagine the steel in that spot has a dent and then they stamped over it.

Finally, super grippy G10 and a super stiff clip. I've already bent it and I'll adjust over time.

Overall $130-$140 is steep for this knife, but it's cool as **** and that's worth something. :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I drew a life size cutout on cardboard of this knife to make sure I wanted it and wow, did it ever not feel good. The second choil is way too deep to be of any use. Didn't feel good at all. That and the price made me change my mind. I was quite looking forward to it. Oh well.
- best wishes, Jazz.
einstein2001

Post by einstein2001 »

Just ordered mine. :)
[tr]