Show your Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Holland

Post by Holland »

that looks amazing Ted! love the blue g10 liner
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Holland wrote:that looks amazing Ted! love the blue g10 liner
+ 1 that burl looks great with blue liners , I'd not have put it with blue in my head.
But the light wood compliments it perfectly IMO lovely.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Here's a sheath for my Mule. This one is the ebony grip with a simple leather sheath. Decided to keep it simple on this one, just lined tooling leather with attached belt loop on the back. The retention is from forming on the grip and molding, no fastening involved, but it holds well enough with the knife upside-down.

toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Nice clean job Ted, the blue liner contrasts beautifully with the wood and suminagashi-patern!
I picked up my two K390s at the customs-office yesterday. Prepare for lignum vitae.. :)
Tom
Sharktooth

Post by Sharktooth »

Lexan scales! Image
:spyder:
Niles

Post by Niles »

noseoil wrote:Here's a sheath for my Mule. This one is the ebony grip with a simple leather sheath. Decided to keep it simple on this one, just lined tooling leather with attached belt loop on the back. The retention is from forming on the grip and molding, no fastening involved, but it holds well enough with the knife upside-down.

Nice! Do you have trouble with cutting the sheath as you put the knife in and take it out (cutting the molded portion around the handle)?
Do no harm. Do know harm.
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

So far, no trouble at all, but I'm very careful. It is certainly sharp enough that a careless bit of pushing would cut the leather. As long as I do my part, it works well. I think the first time I'm in a hurry, I'll be making another sheath on this one, as the steel is very hard and very sharp. I didn't go to a polished edge, just a fine diamond which is a bit long in the tooth at 15 degrees per side, but seems to be plenty good enough. I'm looking forward to seeing how long this edge holds up for general use, but it should be a good long while.

This is my first Mule run, but I really like the ergonomics incorporated in the design. It is simple, compact & elegant, all at the same time. Looking forward to the next run already.
DJ

Post by DJ »

My K-390 I just had made ........cocobollo
Steel Snob M-4
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

DJ wrote:My K-390 I just had made ........cocobollo
A beautiful piece of cocobolo, DJ. I love the color and grain - it looks like waves washing up on a beach.

TedP
DJ

Post by DJ »

Thanks for the comment ,
Steel Snob M-4
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

DJ wrote:Image
My K-390 I just had made ........cocobollo
Simple yet elegant. Perfect.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
farns

Post by farns »

Just finished the B75P mule project. Dressed in bubinga with green liners. I used hidden brass 3/16 pins covered by stabilized box elder inlays with a brass lanyard hole. I still need to complete the finish but I really like the look of the bubinga finished and un-finished so I thought I would post the pre-completed picture.
Attachments
mule-b75p.jpg
Holland

Post by Holland »

Sharktooth wrote:Lexan scales! Image
very cool idea! thanks for sharing
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Easyshare with photobucket :rolleyes: Older work; two Elmax mules in Multigreen G10 and cocobolo. Corbied as usual...
Tom
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

toomzz wrote:Image

Easyshare with photobucket :rolleyes: Older work; two Elmax mules in Multigreen G10 and cocobolo. Corbied as usual...
Those are lovely especially the green the Elmax is a wicked blade and that sheath is great too.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

This was completed for me today a S30V woodcraft in English Walnut burl sorry I don't have ability to post pictures please follow the link though .
Any comments welcome thanks all kindly finished by Quickbeam a bb member I think he's done a great job will have it this week .
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... derco-Mule
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

I feel like a hack even posting this in present company but it is what it is. In my defense this was the first time I've ever worked with wood period, and basically used only a Dremel and hand tools. It feels great in the hand it just isn't so pretty. I actually finished it months ago and ended up putting it in a box and thinking I wasn't going to use it until I found a sheath. Well I came upon it today by accident so I figured I'd share. The good news is I learned a lot and am ready for another try.

noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Hey, they're all just practice & Rome wasn't built in a day. Good job on even trying to do one! If you want it done differently, it looks like there's still plenty of wood there to re-shape a bit on the edges, round a bit more and change the contours. Tape the blade to avoid cuts and scoring the blade, use a sanding block (a rubber one, small) and some finer paper. You already have the shape correct, the rounding can still be done at this point & after all, it's just wood! First attempt, thumbs up.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Rwb1500 wrote:I feel like a hack even posting this in present company but it is what it is. In my defense this was the first time I've ever worked with wood period, and basically used only a Dremel and hand tools. It feels great in the hand it just isn't so pretty. I actually finished it months ago and ended up putting it in a box and thinking I wasn't going to use it until I found a sheath. Well I came upon it today by accident so I figured I'd share. The good news is I learned a lot and am ready for another try.

That's the thing you've learnt and will improve if the MT were cheaper here I'd give it a go instead of getting others to scale them for me.
With the cost of importing buying stabilised wood , pins and liners it'd be a $200 mistake here so I chicken out and that's not a bad effort there bud.
Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm (not saying its a failure but your not happy) keep at it fella ;) .
Invective

Post by Invective »

Bladekeeper wrote: Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm (not saying its a failure but your not happy) keep at it fella ;) .
A good quote that goes hand in hand with this is "Sucking at something is just the first step in becoming great at it!"

And RWB1500, you appear to have skipped the first step and gone straight to being pretty good at it, so you're already ahead of the quote! Keep at it!