Chinook Comback...maybe....please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Hasn't been my experience with the chinook 3 with the cutting dummy tests I did. Dr. Snubnose says the chinook 1 and 2 do much better so it's probably not a characteristic of trailing points. I've also marked with sharpie the edge and did some pressure cutting tests on the chinook 3 and it seems that effective edge length is only around 2 inches.

The emerson has a straighter belly as do the chinook 1 and 2.

No debate here, just a discussion of a statement you made.
Chuck, Thanks...perhaps my Theory on the Chinook is wrong than. And would not act like the others I mentioned, specifically the Emerson. I have never had a Chinook, so I was going purely on theory for the Chinook effectiveness.

That said, I still think its an excellent knife and still want one.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

As a guy that has been looking for a Chinook in 440V for a while now....I am iffy.

I want it back, but I want "IT" back...not some sad shadow of what it was. And not some new design with tweaks and changes.

I want the real deal or nothing.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KBar666 wrote:Chuck, Thanks...perhaps my Theory on the Chinook is wrong than. And would not act like the others I mentioned, specifically the Emerson. I have never had a Chinook, so I was going purely on theory for the Chinook effectiveness.

That said, I still think its an excellent knife and still want one.
I agree but I'm with DSS. The real deal or nothing. :)
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I think the idea was that since a slash is in a radius, that a trailing point would keep presenting an edge to the material.

This is the intentional effect when in context with the self defense/weaponry pou.
As from a battle (historical) formation the radius would arc down continuing to keep the tip engaged .
Some of the Ancient Greek styles had a recurve too as well as the upsweep which has obvious merits .
The effective 'slash' depends on where the radius begins , take for example you have the knife gripped with your fist facing outward from the chest.
Extending the elbow engaging the straight edge sweeping down onto the belly to tip , also again a diagonal cut with the same motion .
However use the straight edge to pull onto the belly whilst cutting a box open and unless you penetrate with the tip the cut is going to slide out .
Keeping an exaggerated trailing point/Persian cutting in this motion against a wharncliffe shows IMO why the straighter belly is more useful in utility cutting etc .
Invective

Post by Invective »

The Deacon wrote:The Chinook II and III were fine knives in their own right. However, like the Manix 2 models, they were just pale reflections of their ancestor.
Hmm I find this interesting, especially with regards to the II> I thought the ChinookII was basically the original Chinook but with 4 way carry. What else changed between the I and II that I'm missing?
Senate

Post by Senate »

old pic but you can clearly see that the major redesign was between the I and II.
II has different blade shape/grind and different handle compared to I.
III is just the FFG version of II.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

They are still excellent knives, and defensive one at that still in my mind...reverse or standard, and I still want one. Bad.

BTW I am a fan of Warhncliffe too, My Yo2 is one of my fave knives ever.
JD Spydo

Sure But With Supersteel

Post by JD Spydo »

I would like to see the FFG Chinook III make a comeback but I could also live with the decision to select the Chinook II with a hollow grind as well. Albeit I wouldn't want it in S30V I would rather see them use one of the supersteels like S90V or one of the Carpenter steels.

I'm sort of surprised to have seen it dropped from the main line up when they did. It is truly one of their all time most beefy models ever. To me it was probably about their best hunting folder maybe second to the Impala.

To me it was like having the Buck model 110 reborn on massive doses of anobolic steroids :eek: . To me it would be an extremely cool Sprint run and maybe even some type of colored handle would be cool as well. But I could live with Black G-10 or Micarta.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

If they make a sprint chinook, it would be nice for it to have a "tough" steel. 3V maybe? Or Cruwear?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:If they make a sprint chinook, it would be nice for it to have a "tough" steel. 3V maybe? Or Cruwear?
Oh yeah!!! I could live with 3V for sure. That then would make a great folder to go with the Spyderco Bushcraft model that uses a non-stainless 01 tool steel.

I've been longing for a super hunting folder ever since the Impala got deleted. The best hunting knife I've come up with so far are my original FB05 Temperance 1 models ( PE & SE). Having a Chinook with a steel of that caliber would truly be awesome. I hope this gives the Great Spyder Factory something to consider.

The uniform curvature of the Chinook blade makes it an ideal skinner by most hunter's standards. Not to mention that it is built like a skyscraper. It seems like a lot of the custom knife makers are using 3V on a lot of their hunting knives so that would truly be a great selection.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I only became interested in the Chinook after they were discontinued, for some reason they didn't appeal to me when they were available :) .
I chanced upon one available in another forum and went ahead and bought it. I think mine is the Chinook I. It strikes me as a great defensive weapon, it's so heavy you just knock the bad guy in the head with it :D .

Even though lots of people seem to ask for its re-release, I wonder if the weight would be a deterrent, would that many people really be ready to purchase one that heavy? And with that much steel in the blade I'm sure the MSRP of a new one would be way up there. It definitely fills the pocket.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

rodloos wrote:I only became interested in the Chinook after they were discontinued, for some reason they didn't appeal to me when they were available :) .
I chanced upon one available in another forum and went ahead and bought it. I think mine is the Chinook I. It strikes me as a great defensive weapon, it's so heavy you just knock the bad guy in the head with it :D .

Even though lots of people seem to ask for its re-release, I wonder if the weight would be a deterrent, would that many people really be ready to purchase one that heavy? And with that much steel in the blade I'm sure the MSRP of a new one would be way up there. It definitely fills the pocket.
Weight is truly an issue with some folks and unless you are a frail older person I don't see where the weight of the original Chinook model should even matter at all IMO. Actually the bulk and rigidity of the Chinook were 2 selling points I really liked about the model myself.

Also if they do re-release it or do a Sprint Run of it I do wish they would do it in some blade steel other than S30V. Because that would be a great model to do in one of the newer supersteels. Or a deluxe tool steel like Chuck mentioned and that being Crucible's 3V. Even a well heat treated version of D2 would be great for me. Crucible's S90V would also be a great choice.

As far as handle material again I would go for Micarta or G-10. Even a black bladed version would be really nice.
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:As a guy that has been looking for a Chinook in 440V for a while now....I am iffy.

I want it back, but I want "IT" back...not some sad shadow of what it was. And not some new design with tweaks and changes.

I want the real deal or nothing.
I have one :)
but I'll be keeping it. It's a beast of a folder for sure.
Invective

Post by Invective »

Senate wrote:old pic but you can clearly see that the major redesign was between the I and II.
II has different blade shape/grind and different handle compared to I.
III is just the FFG version of II.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

Ahh now I see the differences. Yeah I can see how the I would be better, although I would be perfectly happy with a II as well. Just don't like the FFG of the 3.
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

I like the 2 best I think, but the 3 isn't bad.

Also I don't care bout super steels and what not. S30v is just fine, D2 would be cool. Ultimately I just want a good steel. But it dosn;t have to be the latest flavor. I don't care. Also there is no need to make it more expensive than it needs to be.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

KBar666 wrote:I like the 2 best I think, but the 3 isn't bad.

Also I don't care bout super steels and what not. S30v is just fine, D2 would be cool. Ultimately I just want a good steel. But it dosn;t have to be the latest flavor. I don't care. Also there is no need to make it more expensive than it needs to be.
So why not just watch the various exchanges? A 3 occasionally comes up for sale.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:So why not just watch the various exchanges? A 3 occasionally comes up for sale.
I hear you about "it doesn't have to be super steel" eg good 440c or 440c with a good HT is better than the best 'super' with a bad HT.
But some supers are used because of characteristics that you want in a knife , at one point steel that was considered 'super' are the norm , because the properties made it so desirable.
RWL 34 is one I've heard is not that available in the USA due to expense , now I have customs in this and its edge retention and resistance/stainless properties are amazing .
I think a spyder in this would be phenomenal , but one thing is in recent years driven by up coming economies like china steel and metals have risen more than other commodities .
So when a 'bring this back' is done those who paid for the original may find it tasty in price.
But I hear the no super just for super sake ;) .
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bladekeeper wrote:I hear you about "it doesn't have to be super steel" eg good 440c or 440c with a good HT is better than the best 'super' with a bad HT.
But some supers are used because of characteristics that you want in a knife , at one point steel that was considered 'super' are the norm , because the properties made it so desirable.
RWL 34 is one I've heard is not that available in the USA due to expense , now I have customs in this and its edge retention and resistance/stainless properties are amazing .
I think a spyder in this would be phenomenal , but one thing is in recent years driven by up coming economies like china steel and metals have risen more than other commodities .
So when a 'bring this back' is done those who paid for the original may find it tasty in price.
But I hear the no super just for super sake ;) .
I get that too but all I'm saying is that if anybody just wants a regular chinook 2 or 3, then they can snag one by watching the exchanges for not a lot more than what they were going for when they were in production. :)

A sprint, IMHO, should have something to set it apart from the regular ones. And I don't mean just scale color. :)
sal

Post by sal »

As I understand, Eric is working on a new Chinook, probably with a caged ball lock. Any suggetions would be appreicated at this stage of development.

sal
KBar666

Post by KBar666 »

I do watch the exchanges but usually miss one